PeeKay

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 149 posts
  • Interests:Tsssstsutsutsutsutsu

Posted 11 April 2015 - 01:00 AM

Hey guys,

wondering if has done or heard of anyone retrofitting projectors like these http://www.theretrof...ml#.VSfiJWSUd74 in to a gen 3? I have the JDM HIDs and am considering attempting the retrofit but would love some guidance...

thanks!

#2 Morgan

Morgan

...jus waitin' 4 a m8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,485 posts
  • Interests:Taking a poo

Posted 11 April 2015 - 10:46 PM

Shiv is your man! He has installed projectors into Gen 3 headlights.

However, if you're going to go down that path, can I suggest doing it to a pair of standard headlights rather than rare JDM factory projectors? Please?

frontquartercustom.jpg

img0157mm.jpg

frontbje.jpg

IM47Gcv.jpg

#3 Jizanthapus

Jizanthapus

Pnsndltn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 12 April 2015 - 12:43 AM

Dude, please just leave the lights how they are. You'll ruin them if you go taking them apart. I'll cry if I see my old JDM HID's pulled to pieces and replaced with some random HID kit.

#4 jtmarcus007

jtmarcus007

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 April 2015 - 09:05 AM

I agree

#5 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Stereos, Electrical

Posted 12 April 2015 - 09:39 AM

I say go for it, JDM HIDs aren't exactly rare. They are here, but they are easy to source from Japan. He's not changing a set of already projectors to hid, he's taking the reflector based hid and converting to projector. Which will require different globes by the way. The factory globe is a D2R, and for a projector lens assembly you want a D2S. Its something I'd love to do to mine, but I can't justify the money doing it.

MY00 Red RX, a nice daily that was sold off once the B4 became reliable...
MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY03 White/Silver H6 Outback, donor car for silver waghoon.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

#6 Shiv

Shiv

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,741 posts

Posted 12 April 2015 - 07:31 PM

I say go for it, JDM HIDs aren't exactly rare. 

I agree, do it on the JDM set. The only problem I could potentially foresee is how exactly it would all link up with the factory headlight levellers the JDM lights got... 

Yes I got them done, but I had an auto electrical colleague of mine who was a guru at opening up lights and modifying them (use to operate his own car modding business in Hong Kong). 

It may be worth contacting Leo off liberty.asn.au (he is a vendor over there). I'm about to give him my Gen4 lights to open up and paint. 

liftbacktestCustom3_zps39c01efc.jpg

#7 Josh.

Josh.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,171 posts

Posted 12 April 2015 - 07:53 PM

The Morimoto projectors you have linked are great. I fitted a set to my car and am really happy with them. 

You can just open up the light again and remove them if you ever wanted to, you don't have to alter the inside of the light because they simply bolt in.

If you are confident in splitting them just do it yourself, it's really not that hard.

#8 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 03:42 PM

Reading the guide they put up online with that particular set they clamp onto the reflector. Which means the levelling gear should work fine, as it acts on the entire reflector assembly in the JDM units. I've noticed that when I use the level control on mine, it adjusts the high beam level as well. I get the best distance on the third step (marked 1 on the controller) for high beam. That will depend on your suspension settings too. That's just what's best for my car with just me in it.

MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

#9 PeeKay

PeeKay

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 149 posts
  • Interests:Tsssstsutsutsutsutsu

Posted 16 April 2015 - 10:53 PM

thanks for the feedback guys! yeah its a very reversable mod i wont be getting rid of any original parts and as some of you may known the jdm hids are pretty hit and miss with mine being quite underwhelming in that the cut-off is pretty avg.

2 questions:
1) why do i need d2s bulbs and if necessary will they be an exact swap
2) does anyone live around 2768 and have a dremel i can borrow? lol

#10 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 08:43 PM

D2S are the bulbs designed for a projector lens assembly, whereas D2R are designed for a reflector lens. Something to do with the cutoff and bulb design. Can't help with number 2 sorry. In SA.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users