16 replies to this topic

#1 Subaru_Bloke

Subaru_Bloke

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 02:49 PM

Wondering if someone can help me, I recently removed my dash to replace my heater core. I was as careful as possible on reassembly and everything is working... except my dash lights. My headlights work, the radio dims when I turn them on, but no light in the cluster or climate control. It's not the fuse next to the steering wheel, or the dimmer (unless it broke?) And I have voltage at the fuse when I turn the lights on.

What could it be?

Brad.

I think tuning is a crime of passion, or maybe a labour of love. Either way it furiates and excites me.

#2 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,012 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 03:24 PM

BH lib/outback?

Illumination control module not plugged back in? I think the radio dimmer works independently from the cluster dimmer, straight off the light switch.

Do the fog and other switches light up - they're wired off the same dimmer circuit as the cluster.

If the glovebox and ashtray lights works ok - then power is available to the cluster (WI256.pdf), and the only thing missing is the dimmer circuit pull-down; so you may have missed a plug.. check B80 (WI256.pdf 8-pin, goes from the cluster to the bulkhead harness somewhere above the clutch pedal / RHS of the center console.)

If its a turbot  or 6-cyl model, the wiring is different by the looks of things (no manual dimmer knob on the stalk, dimmer is auto in the cluster itself), but again, the cluster runs off its own plugs.

Attached Files

#3 Subaru_Bloke

Subaru_Bloke

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 04:44 PM

BE Liberty. Sorry, should have said that. Yeah glove box light works, but no switches or anything, so it must be on the dimmer circuit. Awesome! I was really hoping a legend like you would be able to hone in on the problem

I think tuning is a crime of passion, or maybe a labour of love. Either way it furiates and excites me.

#4 Subaru_Bloke

Subaru_Bloke

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 05:39 PM

So if I trace back the steering column harness, B80 comes off that right?

#5 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,012 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 06:05 PM

Umm - I guess. there's a bunch of plugs on that side of the console under dash. Have s good look around for a loose plug.

I'm trying to think of where the dimmer box lived. I think it was around the same spot. Its a black plastic box, if I recall.

EDIT: Just got home and checked wiring diagram and my box of wiring and stuff .. the illumination control box is black and plugged to B43 - right nearby B80. Its a little box on a steel bracket - looks sort of like a large relay and is marked "cont assy - illum" or something similar.  

If you confirm B80 is plugged in, then find that box and connect pin 2 of the plug (not the box) to GND (see WI-254 above) with the lights on, the dash should light up. 

#6 Subaru_Bloke

Subaru_Bloke

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 08:25 PM

Champion! Ok. I've found B80 and connected pin 2 to earth and the lights work... BUT it was never plugged in (obviously it was before) and I can't for the life of me find what it plugs in to? It's only short, and I have it sitting in the same position as the cruise switch sits atm. It's possible I have tucked the other wires away somehow/where?

#7 Subaru_Bloke

Subaru_Bloke

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 02:24 PM

Anyone please?

#8 Morgan

Morgan

...jus waitin' 4 a m8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,485 posts
  • Interests:Taking a poo

Posted 16 May 2015 - 03:21 PM

Try behind the glove box

IM47Gcv.jpg

#9 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,012 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 05:06 PM

mmm... I'm not sure you found B80 - pulling the pin 2 on that to gnd shouldn't do anything. Maybe you found the thing it plugs into i20 (instrument panel plug) and pulled pin 1 to gnd/ (wi256.pdf) - it also shouldn't be on the cruise side of the steering wheel (RHS) - it should be towards the centre of the car.

No matter - sounds like the dash is ok and you just need to find B80 / i20 and plug them together - see the two harness diagrams attached.  Note they're  diagrammatic, so the location of the plugs isn't exact

As morgs says  poke around that center console, behind the ash tray, under the carpet, behind the plastic kick panel. It'll be there somewhere!

Attached File  WI355.png   178.13KB   5 downloadsAttached File  WI369.png   93.27KB   5 downloads

#10 Subaru_Bloke

Subaru_Bloke

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 06:02 PM

I found a 6 pin plug next to the cruise switch that is on the same loom. I have attached an earth to it, which allows the dash lights to turn on when I turn the lights on, but I can't dim the dash lights any more. I have searched everywhere for a plug that isn't plugged in, but haven't found anything. I pulled the radio out too. I'll try the passenger kick panel tomorrow. This is doing my head in ha ha
What is b80 connected to Duncan?

#11 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,012 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 06:37 PM

From that wiring diagram (WI256), you can see that all the switches and lights are connected to the BW wire, which gets pulled towards GND by the illumination box. So if you find any of those plugs and ground it - which sounds like what you did with a spare/unused switch plug, then they'll all light up.

B80 (bulkhead harness) should plug into I20 (instrument harness).  I don't think it'll be behind the passenger kick panel - more likely the driver's side.. could it be you accidentally tucked it up behind the dash when replacing?

I'd start down at those two ground tabs (GB7, GR) which should be easy to find screwed to the body around the gear stick / ABS unit, and work my way back up that harness.

#12 Subaru_Bloke

Subaru_Bloke

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 06:44 PM

Ok. I won't have time till next weekend by the look of things, but i'll trace those ground wires back (haven't had a look because I'm on my phone), but I think that loom is the same one the heater fan plugs in to

#13 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,012 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 08:13 PM

yup - I45 goes to the heater/AC box.

#14 Lukeoly

Lukeoly

Make it BLAAACK!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 266 posts
  • Interests:Boost

Posted 27 May 2015 - 06:59 AM

Are you still having trouble with this?

I had a similar problem after my swap and and it took me ages to find info on where the illumination control module is located in the Gen 3.

I took some pics of it's location when I found it. I hadn't plugged mine in (hence no dash illumination). I had the glovebox, trans tunnel kick panel thing out but now that I know where it is you really only need to remove the HVAC - Headunit to get access.

From behind the headuint:

jPpbExYl.jpg

FyQluATl.jpg

And from the glovebox side:

KXOJysCl.jpg

Y75GVFrl.jpg

ndvgQm2.jpg

#15 Subaru_Bloke

Subaru_Bloke

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 12:09 AM

I am still having trouble. I pulled out my head unit again and couldn't find any plugs that weren't plugged in. I also traced the wire back and couldn't find any. Thanks Luke. I'll take it out again for another look when I get the chance. Maybe it is tucked away where I just can't feel or see it

#16 Subaru_Bloke

Subaru_Bloke

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 25 July 2015 - 11:04 AM

LUKE!!!!! That was it mate! Problem fixed now. You are an absolute champion of a bloke! Those pics were spot on

#17 RX25SE

RX25SE

...............Car nerd................ now a H6 pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts
  • Interests:Cars with chrome bumpers!

Posted 25 July 2015 - 12:09 PM

I love it when this happens!

If I told you I was a compulsive liar, would you believe me?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users