Photo

Alignment, Power Steering or Suspension?

steering pull loose

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Yanoflies

Yanoflies

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 31 May 2015 - 10:13 AM

Hey guys,

Just wondering if you guys could point me in the right direction.

My Gen 1 Liberty is having some steering issues:

• It's constantly pulling to the left.
  • It randomly becomes 'loose' and drops to the left side -- it'll stay that way until I manually re-center the steering wheel (it doesn't even try to go back to center, even though car is moving).

I've checked wheel nuts and tire pressures (pressures were low and different at each wheel but that's now fixed). The power steering fluid is looking okay.

Anyone have any ideas? I'm guessing it's probably the steering rack or pump. I guess I could use the emergency jack from the spare to checkout the power steering and check that everything is tight but I'm really, really short for time right now.

Also any suggestion for an honest mechanic in the west that's not going to play an inexperienced youngling like myself?

Thanks,

#2 Morgan

Morgan

...jus waitin' 4 a m8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,485 posts
  • Interests:Taking a poo

Posted 31 May 2015 - 09:12 PM

Have you had a proper alignment? 

IM47Gcv.jpg

#3 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 31 May 2015 - 09:45 PM

when you say 'loose' - does the 'neutral' steering wheel position (ie: where car drives straight ahead) shift when you go around a corner - one way for left corners, other way for right?

If that's the case - first suspect is shot steering rack bushes - the rack slips a bit side to side.

Sounds a bit dangerous - I'd block it up and see if there's play in the front wheels, or just take it to your local mechanic or wheel alignment shop to diagnose on a lift.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users