#1 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,123 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Stereos, Electrical

Posted 01 June 2015 - 02:09 AM

I swear I saw some members running around with one of these fitted, but I can't remember who, and I'm curious on how much work they require to fit, and also the worries of stress on the drive-line. I'm pretty sure I'd want to be running an R180 rear diff to do this properly, as the 160 probably wont take the punishment the spec C motor will dish out to it for very long, but I'm after opinions, or even better, experiences.

Discuss!

Cheers,

Ben

MY00 Red RX, a nice daily that was sold off once the B4 became reliable...
MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY03 White/Silver H6 Outback, donor car for silver waghoon.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

#2 GT_Tony

GT_Tony

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 08:12 AM

you will shatter the R160 and shafts quicker than spit!  simply not designed to take the load (altho our R160 is an "upgrade" to a datto, which are RWD constant.. go figure)

i found that i never broke the R180 diff, but was constantly snapping CV joints (CV closest to the diff)

ended up going R200 

*STI SF5 RWD Forester 84DGT

*MY10 XTP Forester 84DXT

*MY05 GT Legacy
*1989 Subaru Brumby aka 'Brat'

*1992 Subaru SVX

17 Subaru's and counting..

#3 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,123 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Stereos, Electrical

Posted 01 June 2015 - 05:43 PM

Awesome, thanks for the info Tony, thanks for pitching in, it's nice to talk to someone who's done it before and knows the pitfalls of it. Looks like R200 it is if this pipedream ever happens. What did you source yours from? I know my brother runs a 200 in his skyline, but curious what sort of work went into it to make it fit?

MY00 Red RX, a nice daily that was sold off once the B4 became reliable...
MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY03 White/Silver H6 Outback, donor car for silver waghoon.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

#4 GT_Tony

GT_Tony

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 06:29 PM

i went a custom TSS rear subframe from the states, needed to be modded a bit to work

i ran the R33 skyline R200 and shafts, re-splined sti rear spindles, needed spacers for the driveshafts and spacers behind the hub bearings (will make sense once your at this stage)  this was to keep the 5x100
if you went 5x114 it would be so much easier

but being a Gen 3 your rearend is quite simular to the skyline anyways. see how different your rear cradles are?

*STI SF5 RWD Forester 84DGT

*MY10 XTP Forester 84DXT

*MY05 GT Legacy
*1989 Subaru Brumby aka 'Brat'

*1992 Subaru SVX

17 Subaru's and counting..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users