Photo

Question regarding 2010-2014 WRX sedan models (boot/wing)

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 charbs

charbs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 11 June 2015 - 12:02 AM

Hey guys,

Looking to purchase my second Subaru WRX.

I'm looking for anything between 2010 and 2014.

I've noticed one thing, some of them have the large STi wing at the back, and some of them have a small spoiler.

Was that an option or an "upgrade" when they were being sold brand new? Does anyone know for sure?

Also, if i wanted to get a wing for myself (if the car i'm looking at has no wing), would i need an entire new boot, or will the wing be compatible with the boot/spoiler?

Thanks

#2 Niko

Niko

Member's Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,511 posts

Posted 11 June 2015 - 07:19 PM

Hey,

There's a lot of difference between MY10 and MY14. But I have not yet come across any factory fitted spoilers that have different mounting holes for the same year car.

Eg. MY05 WRX and MY05 STi spoiler are interchangeable.

Best bet for a confirmed answer is to just call up a Subaru dealership, or literally walk in to one and check it out yourself.

A forum like NAISOC might offer more info.

#3 charbs

charbs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 03:46 PM

Turns out there actually is a big difference between say, an MY12 WRX and an MY12 WRX STi in terms of the mounting points for the spoiler. 

You'd basically have to have an STi boot if you want an STi wing, as the mounting points for that are over a larger surface area than the flat WRX spoiler.

#4 Niko

Niko

Member's Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,511 posts

Posted 20 June 2015 - 10:03 AM

?

Sorry mate, but how would you need a new boot?

If you are switching spoilers, surely filling the holes would be cheaper than buying a new boot, especially when it's such a recent model. I see the MY12 WRX spoiler goes the whole length of the boot, where as the STi spoiler just has 2 mounting points at either end. That means if the WRX has screws in the middle you'd just need to fill the holes and get them touched up.

Maybe see if there's a write off with a good cheap boot after you buy your WRX.

#5 Kai

Kai

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 03:32 PM

If you see WRX with STi spoiler it means that it was custom DIY. Only certain limited editions had the big wing as stock. 

#6 Niko

Niko

Member's Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,511 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 11:07 PM

I did see some info on NASIOC about guys doing the swaps, seems they like to opt for the boot lid and spoiler swap, one guy posted how much it cost him to get holes plugged and boot resprayed, was exorbitant, but that's America.

#7 charbs

charbs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 11:12 AM

Hey Niko, yeah that's what i will end up doing, most definitely find  an STi for wrecking and buy its boot. I wouldn't want to drill holes in the original boot or fill any existing holes, i'd want to keep that stock to be honest.

#8 mark300

mark300

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,067 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 12:20 PM

Hey guys,

Looking to purchase my second Subaru WRX.

I'm looking for anything between 2010 and 2014.

I've noticed one thing, some of them have the large STi wing at the back, and some of them have a small spoiler.

Was that an option or an "upgrade" when they were being sold brand new? Does anyone know for sure?

Also, if i wanted to get a wing for myself (if the car i'm looking at has no wing), would i need an entire new boot, or will the wing be compatible with the boot/spoiler?

Thanks

there were a few options for factory from different specs, especially in the later models (parts bin specials can really be defined for some of them in the later years)

you had the S edition, the Club spec and the RS40, which all came with the STI style wing as opposed to the WRX wing, werent a factory option but came in those specced WRXs 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users