Photo

Need B4 parts

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_KONG_*

Guest_KONG_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2015 - 06:47 PM

Whiteline catledog implies those bushes are replaceable. However, if one bush is cactus, chances are the others aren't far off.

I'd be inclined to go this direction if I were you... 

http://www.whiteline...t_number=KTA124

If you want a cheap quick fix, then I'm your man/woman   ;)

#22 BE4ORE

BE4ORE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 675 posts
  • Interests:Soccer, Cars, PS4 and my B4!!!

Posted 01 July 2015 - 04:07 PM

Tie rods are the bits joining your steering rack to each hub.

They have a screw in the middle to adjust their length (for wheel alignment), hence they come apart and have an 'inner' and 'outer' bit.

Each end has a ball joint on it to allow articulation. They get slop in them - the problem at inner ends can often be addressed by just tightening up the nut on the ball joint (sometimes it loosens itself if the locking mechanism slips).  That's still a bit of a bitch of a job, as you have to get the boot off and muck around while having power steering fluid drip on you. and no room to work.

audi_tie_rod.gif

part 11 is the outer end (plus castle nut and washer to connect to the hub), the inner end isn't labelled, but it sits under the rubber boot (7) when assembled (right pic shows the whole rack assembled) 

566495034701.png

Nice.

here you go.  $10 a pop.

http://auto-parts.co...xial-joint.html

Awesome, thanks Duncan... but subaru quoted me $109.30 a pop... maybe that's for the whole assembly?

Whiteline catledog implies those bushes are replaceable. However, if one bush is cactus, chances are the others aren't far off.

I'd be inclined to go this direction if I were you... 

http://www.whiteline...t_number=KTA124

If you want a cheap quick fix, then I'm your man/woman   ;)

just to clarify, i got told that these are for back of the car, rear control arm inner bushes?

and after a day of shopping around and getting more confused, sounds like it'll cost me about $1k to fix everything... with the rocker cover being the most expensive in parts and labour. FFS  :dash2:

#23 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,012 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 04:15 PM

Awesome, thanks Duncan... but subaru screwbaru quoted me $109.30 a pop... maybe that's for the whole assembly?

FIFY.

OEM dealer-supplied parts are notoriously variable in price - usually, but not always, on the ridiculously over-priced side.

Who knows what they quoted you on, and who cares?

If you get a mech to do the whole job for you, just point him to that parts source, so he doesn't get slack on sourcing replacements and end up with the $109 subaru bit.

#24 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,012 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 04:37 PM

... so here's the part (note: please don't trust this part number - this is just indicative. Opposed forces EU B12 Legacy, 2001 - ).

#3 =    "Tie rod complete gear box  pn 34160AE000"

punching that PN into subaruparts.com pulls up a price of USD$ 60. So $110 at Subaru oz is probably about right.

Importantly, that part seems to be used on every legacy, impreza and foz for the last 15 years, which explains why the non-OEM one is so cheap.

But again - non-OEM part will be fine. 

566495034709.png

#25 BE4ORE

BE4ORE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 04:48 PM

hahaha... true that!!! It's always good to get an idea and compare... and to tell you the truth, i don't think he knew much as he wasn't sure... but anyways!

my mechanic's prices:

* clutch fluid $30 + $90 labour = $120  :blink:

* control arm bushes - $120 for the front of the rear control arm & $70 for the rear of the rear control arm (total of 6 bushes assuming 3 of each) + $90/hr labour for 3 hours = $840  :blink:

* tie rod ends $70 for the pair + $90 labour + $90 for wheel alignment = $250  :blink:

* Rocker cover gaskets x 2 @ $27each

spark plug gaskets x 4 @ $15.50each

rocker cover washers x 16 @ $3.95each

cylinder head plugs x 4 @ $15.25each

oil filler neck oring @ $4

oil separator gasket x 2 @ $12each + $90/hr labour for 3 hours = $538  :blink:

total rough cost = $1748  :blink:  :blink:  :blink:

should i sell it and buy a WRX?!?!

WTF!!!!!!!!!!!

#26 LPM_B4

LPM_B4

LPM_FOZ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 04:58 PM

Sounds alright to me, that's a lot of parts and work, large amount is in the labour, like any job. 

Try Partsouq for the genuine bits may be cheaper if you supply parts.

#27 BE4ORE

BE4ORE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 05:21 PM

These are Subaru prices: 

* clutch fluid and bleeding = $90

* control arm bushes $580 for all 6 + $70/hr of labour for 2 hours = $720

* tie rod end $109.30  + $70 labour = $179.30

* Rocker cover gaskets x 2 @ $26.83 each

spark plug gaskets x 4 @ $17.26 each

rocker cover washers x 10 @ $3.94 each

cylinder head plugs - could not provide me with a price

oil filler neck oring @ $5.86

oil separator gasket x 2 @ $24 each

labour = $560

Total rough cost = $1388.26

Who the heck do i trust with that much difference of price lol... 

#28 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,458 posts
  • Interests:Docking

Posted 02 July 2015 - 12:54 AM

Apart from the control arm bushes (assuming you need new ones pressed in) you could do the rest yourself. All this is as a result of some 100 point check right? Have you actually checked everything yourself to make sure theyre not making mountains out of molehills?

tIeW8DE.png

#29 BE4ORE

BE4ORE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 02 July 2015 - 10:24 AM

Ive got most of it new gen. Pm me. A lot of the susp bushes are pretty debatable regarding being safe.

Will PM you soon :)

Apart from the control arm bushes (assuming you need new ones pressed in) you could do the rest yourself. All this is as a result of some 100 point check right? Have you actually checked everything yourself to make sure theyre not making mountains out of molehills?

I'm not really that good with technical mechanical side of things so even if i check, i wouldn't be able to tell or know if it's correct :( would've been to get a helping hand!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users