Photo

No interior door light, but switch on works?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Subaru_Bloke

Subaru_Bloke

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 25 July 2015 - 11:09 AM

Hey guys, yet another electrical gremlin has surfaced, and I can't find anyone with my issue.

When I open my doors, my light doesn't come on, but if i switch it to 'on', it works. I understand this may be a switch issue, but no door works and it was working fine. Best I can think of is somehow the security alarm (I had it disonnected) has somehow stopped it working? It was working fine, and far as I know, I haven't changed anything.

What things can I do to trace the problem down? TIA

Brad.

I think tuning is a crime of passion, or maybe a labour of love. Either way it furiates and excites me.

#2 RX25SE

RX25SE

...............Car nerd................ now a H6 pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts
  • Interests:Cars with chrome bumpers!

Posted 25 July 2015 - 01:06 PM

Does the dash tell you a door is open?

It could be the Keyless Entry Module, broken wire of faulty ground.

According to the diagram, the KEM supplies the ground for the room lamp when switched to door and is commanded via the door switches.

The KEM has a 18pin connector (B176) and pins 6 & 14 (both black wires) are the earth from the module to complete the circuit from the lamp to turn it on.

Pin 11 (White/Red) at B176 is connected to the 'door' switch of the lamp so if you bridge 6 & 14 and connect both to pin 11  with the module unplugged, then the room lamp will illuminate as soon as the switch is set to 'door'. (The door switches and modules internal driver  are eliminated ) This will tell you the wiring from the lamp to the module and ground from the module are fine. Fault may be module itself or module not receiving a 'door open' signal.

The RHF, RHR and LHR door switches share a ground and the LHF door switch has its own ground.

The KEM gets the 'door open' signal from the dash cluster into B176 pin 3 (Pink/Black) so if this is grounded, with the module connected, then the module thinks a door is open and its internal driver will connect the room lamp to ground turning it on. If it doesn't then the modules driver is dead.

If I told you I was a compulsive liar, would you believe me?

#3 Subaru_Bloke

Subaru_Bloke

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 25 July 2015 - 02:40 PM

Thanks. I'll make a start when I get a chance. Yes the dash says when a door is open, and it tells me the correct one. As far as I know, it operates as it should. The KEM is on the passenger side left of the glove box I believe?

I think tuning is a crime of passion, or maybe a labour of love. Either way it furiates and excites me.

#4 Subaru_Bloke

Subaru_Bloke

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 02:40 PM

So if I run a ground to my room lamp when switched to door, it should work right?

And bridging 6+11 or 14+11 or all 3 should also make the light work? I'll get the glove box out and take a look soon, just flat out atm. I've resolved all my other issues though which is great!

#5 Subaru_Bloke

Subaru_Bloke

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 03:51 PM

In my manual, it says i1 is the KEM I believe? Which is a 14 pin connector, however my KEM is a 12 pin? So I don't know where to even begin??

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

#6 Subaru_Bloke

Subaru_Bloke

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 03:54 PM

950ec6cf3897bfaa03fc9ec5aa7c0826.jpg

#7 Subaru_Bloke

Subaru_Bloke

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 05 September 2015 - 12:50 PM

#8 Subaru_Bloke

Subaru_Bloke

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 06 September 2015 - 03:04 PM

Problem solved!

First I removed the light module and unplugged it, then I did a continuity test on the middle pin (door earth switch) to the KEM plug on all pins, and got nothing. So I traced the wiring down the a pillar to a plug that came away when I touched it, it mustn't have clipped properly. So with the fuse lid off and a lot of hand contorting, got it back on and working. Happy days!

4f4659cf7f26d6b04e3609c6408cc0e9.jpg
The plug above to the right of the bar is the one

#9 RX25SE

RX25SE

...............Car nerd................ now a H6 pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts
  • Interests:Cars with chrome bumpers!

Posted 06 September 2015 - 03:58 PM

Win!

If I told you I was a compulsive liar, would you believe me?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users