8 replies to this topic

#1 hazzaRX04

hazzaRX04

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 04:17 PM

Hi All again,

Ok, so ive tried a fair bit and now i need some experienced people to help.

I am trying to read the fault codes on my 04' RX impreza, however after buying the bluetooth, USB and Wifi OBD2 dongles i still cannot connect.

Ived looked for similar posts about OBD2 issues bofore and cannot find much (probably looking in the wrong spot)

The furthest i get is i found a few youtube videos about how to fault find a bad OBD2 plug.

this was the most helpful video i found and used

https://youtu.be/0e-9_FuMWzI

So i followed the steps and established it wasnt a power issue.

All grounds were Grounded

Power to OBD (pin16) was correct.

Power to K-Line was 0.0V, which in the video says its bad, as it should have approx 3.5V

so i disconnected the batter and tested the resistance of the lines (pin 4 and 5)  ground and signal ground.

both came up with a value of 0.1  oms

and K-line (pin 7 )  = 111.7K oms (0.1117 oms)

in my opinion this isnt enough to justify there is an internal fault / a controller grounding out.

my only option is to follow the K-line back thought each plug and find the fault. 

HOWEVER!!! if anyone has ever tried to follow a line back though looms... there is a lot of taped up wires and Y junctions ETC....

I pulled the dash off again and re tested the lines, after testing the voltage I thought    i would try the voltages again with the ACC on, 

this time i got a reading from the K-Line 

= 7.3V..... WTF? (0V with key off)

so i plugged the obd2 reader in and it still didnt work.

I have tested the OBD2 reader on my other car and it works fine. so its not the reader.

I have Used a friends OBD2 reader before about a year ago and it worked fine.

CAN ANYONE HELP WITH SOLVING THIS PROBLEM?

OTHER THAN FOLLOWING THE LINES BACK THOUGH EACH PLUG WHICH IS A PAIN IN THE ARSE.

HAS ANYONE EVER HAD THIS ISSUE BEFORE ?

DOES ANYONE HAVE A THREAD WHICH ADDRESSES THIS ISSUE?

Im sure ill get trolled for this but short of getting an auto electrician to charge through the nose to fix it im fresh out of ideas.

thanks.

#2 Suby Happens

Suby Happens

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
  • Interests:Much Things and Many Stuff.

Posted 02 August 2015 - 06:14 PM

I have been looking into this also for my 2002 Liberty Wagon as I already have an OBDII adapter and Torque Pro on my Phone.

This combo worked perfectly on the Missus' 2010 K13 Micra and also 2013 B17 Pulsar but...

What I am finding in my research is there's a good chance your car (and mine), although they have the same OBD plug, may actually be running

SSM (Subaru Select Monitor) and not OBDII.   :(

My Liberty RX Wagz New Tyres 3

#3 Robert

Robert

Brappp

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,419 posts
  • Interests:Door Frames

Posted 02 August 2015 - 06:19 PM

Yeah correct

You need a Subaru ssm scan tool or a top range professional scanner like a snap on one

I thought the 04 model may have been able to be scanned, but I highly doubt the port is faulty.

But if an obd 2 scanner worked on it previously I dunno

#4 RX25SE

RX25SE

...............Car nerd................ now a H6 pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts
  • Interests:Cars with chrome bumpers!

Posted 02 August 2015 - 07:33 PM

The OBDII protocol became mandatory in AU around 2006 (actually we use EOBD, the Ero standard).

US developed OBDII and introduced it around 1996.

Bear in mind that just because a vehicle carries the OBDII style 16 pin plug, it does not automatically mean it is an OBDII vehicle. For it to communicate to an OBDII type scan tool, pins 6 and 14 must be populated (CAN hi and CAN lo). My 1997 Commodore used a 16 pin plug and ran a, unique to Australia, OBD1.5 platform.

I have a SPX (they do platforms for many scan tools including Bosch) OBDII scanner, works fine on my MY07 GenIV but won't talk to the wife's MY02 GenIII.

If I told you I was a compulsive liar, would you believe me?

#5 hazzaRX04

hazzaRX04

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 09:57 PM

Thanks heaps guys.
As I said, I have read the faults before but it was a computer not my iPhone app.
Could've been SSM tool, which I think was one of the program's my mate had on his pc. (Uses it on his 03 outback)

My other suby mate has an 02 wrx/sti monster and he put his scan tool ($200 kind) and it wouldn't read either, I figure if his 02 works on his reader either mine would maybe confirming it is SSM, but it didn't so either faulty or between 02 and 06 they used something different again?

The reader is elm327 wifi dongle if that makes any difference?

RX25SE, it does have more than the simple pins populated, I'm assuming they are the ones you speak of but I'd have to check.
Having said that my car definitely isn't running a can bus system. ( I wish) :P

I'll delve deeper into the SSM side of it and let you know what I find.
If you think of anything else in the meantime, I'm all ears.

Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#6 RX25SE

RX25SE

...............Car nerd................ now a H6 pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts
  • Interests:Cars with chrome bumpers!

Posted 02 August 2015 - 10:17 PM

More here:

http://www.obdii.com/connector.html

If I told you I was a compulsive liar, would you believe me?

#7 hazzaRX04

hazzaRX04

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 08:17 AM

SSM=Subaru Select Monitor.

Normally only Subaru dealerships have these units. They are costly to buy (5-10k). Older SSM 1-2 models (pre 2005) had yearly updates and you had to use individual

cartridges (about 400-800 each). They will extract info out of a Subaru that no other scan tool can do. They are not cost effective for general mechanics.

Imprezas (and other Subaru models)of your vintage give many headaches with aftermarket scan tools. The latest Snap On ones have heaps of issues trying to extract codes out of them .

They changed the protcools over a number of times over the years . I think ISO 9141 and KWP 2000 along with another one I cannot remember atm.

What state are you in ? I have all the Subaru scan tool equipment and could take look at it if your in Melb.

oh man that would be sick!!!

I am in Melbourne, i work in the south and live in the eastern suburbs, but if it gets to it i will drive to wherever you are :P

My Outback mate has brought his computer to work again, one last try. if that is a flop i would really appreciate the help.

one thing to note is last time i hooked into his computer we were able to read faults and clear them... maybe the luck of the electrons?

cheers

#8 Cam.

Cam.

OEM+

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,906 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 12:21 PM

Your car uses SSM. I recently tried connecting to my mothers MY04 GX Impreza with a OBD2 tool and no dice.

The non turbos that use FBW throttle are usually OBD2. 

Asb2OgK.jpg?1

#9 hazzaRX04

hazzaRX04

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 07:53 AM

OK, 

so after testing my outback friends computer and cord it worked again.

As Cam says. mine is SSM :(

we used SSMfree with a VAG-COM 409 cable with FT232RL chip Diagnostic.

just like this one

http://www.ebay.com/...e-/221233244179

which unfortunately means i do not have OBD2...

thanks heaps for the help.

Snowball555 i probably dont need to come and use your readers now.

Suby Happens i hope this helps you.

thanks to all.

i just need to get a new car ;)

cheers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users