#1 Krypton

Krypton

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 152 posts
  • Interests:Snow,Cars,Video games,ect

Posted 27 August 2015 - 01:24 PM

Been doing a bit of searching and trying to get as much info as possible. But just wanted some help confirming what I have found and didn't find.
Opon needing a new clutch I was Lookin at going HD but after reading a bit it seems it can put to much strain on the gear box, is this the same for the 208tt motors?
Would I get less slip/better takeoff with getting a better OEM like excedy without putting on to much strain?
And what els should I order to replace eg I think I read I should get my flywheel machined or may just go lightweight

#2 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 27 August 2015 - 02:50 PM

Hey man,

I've got an Exedy std clutch on my TT conversion.. no issues with slippage (but its bog standard, so no crazy outputs).

I certainly feel better off with a possibly weak clutch rather than a busted gearbox.

re: flywheel - I reckon the outback flywheel is too big for the short 1st gear - you may have reached the same conclusion. Off the line - feel like I have only just reached boost before having to shift to 2nd, and normal starts are super lazy (almost no revs required).  I was thinking of a lower-mass harmonic balancer as an easier route now the engine is in the car, but have read bad things about some of the alloy jobs.

#3 Robert

Robert

Brappp

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,417 posts
  • Interests:Door Frames

Posted 28 August 2015 - 11:45 PM

Yep stay away from the alloy units

Way too light and transfers a bit much nvh

A decent steel unit is ok though!

#4 Robert

Robert

Brappp

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,417 posts
  • Interests:Door Frames

Posted 28 August 2015 - 11:47 PM

And with the clutch

Honesty go for the standard unit clutch unless your chasing big power or towing heavy loads it's probably not worth the extra money

#5 Ben_20EJT

Ben_20EJT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,397 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 03:33 PM

Id be going a hd organic with matching chrome molly flywheel, kits from stream clutch, worth every cent, nothing stupid that will kill a box. I know 7 turbo subys running it

freeway.jpeg 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users