93 replies to this topic

#21 Niko

Niko

Member's Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,511 posts

Posted 20 September 2015 - 11:30 AM

Really? Thanks a lot man I really appreciate the offer! I'll pm you when I'm up to the stage of pulling out the engine :) is it foldable and could fit in a Mazda 3?

I work up at Chatswood and have a Foz if you need a hand getting Duncan's crane from Hornsby. Just PM if need be. I often work weekends.

#22 church

church

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 20 September 2015 - 01:28 PM

I work up at Chatswood and have a Foz if you need a hand getting Duncan's crane from Hornsby. Just PM if need be. I often work weekends.

Thanks mate! I'll hit you up if I need it :)

#23 church

church

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 05:00 PM

So thanks to Duncan I got a hoist ready rip out this engine.

Just have a few questions

- the harness connectors are so hard to get off, anyone got any tricks?
- where would be good mounting points for the engine crane, the ac compressor bracket has been unbolted cause I don't want to take off the ac hoses.
- what chain or any fasteners do people recommend? Can I pick up a good chain from Bunnings or do I have to go somewhere else for that?

#24 church

church

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 02 October 2015 - 04:30 PM

Anyone got any techniques to get the torque converter bolts out? Engine loom in the way ughhh but dont want to take the intake mani out.

#25 jonesyGT

jonesyGT

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 11:28 AM

Why do you need the torque converter off?

Loom should just undo & pull out the way.

For the harness, use a soak of WD40 the day before, then just undo the clips the correct way & wiggle. They are supposed to be tight

Mount the engine on opposite sides. Doesnt really matter what to, but there should be a couple of mounting loops on the block already.

I just got a good heavy chain from bunnings, just make sure its long enough to reach across the engine & have a bit of play in it. I make mine 1 across he engine then half again.

#26 church

church

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 10:13 AM

The engine's out! Will post pictures soon but there was a little noob mistakes here and there.

#27 church

church

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 14 November 2015 - 08:31 AM

So after a month of pondering what I'm going to do with my car... with weighing of: Should I scrap it? Should i replace the engine? Should I get a WRX halfcut?

After alot of talking to people and an importer friend, I have decided to get a WRX or STi halfcut instead and do a conversion!

H6s is alot of unknown territory and there are more people more knowledgeable about EJ conversions than EZ30 manual conversions and I want this car manual.

So for the next two months is saving and waiting for a halfcut to come up and then jumping on it and converting it early 2016 :)

#28 applegeek897

applegeek897

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 231 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Technology and Photography

Posted 14 November 2015 - 07:06 PM

So after a month of pondering what I'm going to do with my car... with weighing of: Should I scrap it? Should i replace the engine? Should I get a WRX halfcut?

After alot of talking to people and an importer friend, I have decided to get a WRX or STi halfcut instead and do a conversion!

H6s is alot of unknown territory and there are more people more knowledgeable about EJ conversions than EZ30 manual conversions and I want this car manual.

So for the next two months is saving and waiting for a halfcut to come up and then jumping on it and converting it early 2016 :)

Yay!

Daily: '00 Daihatsu Cuore "Kelly" - Build Thread -
Project / Weekender: '05 Subaru Liberty 3.0R-B Wagon - Build Thread -
Motorcycle: '14 Triumph Street Triple 660 - Build Thread -

#29 Lukeoly

Lukeoly

Make it BLAAACK!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 266 posts
  • Interests:Boost

Posted 14 November 2015 - 07:53 PM

Don't forget you'll need a 4 cylinder cluster if you're going that route; otherwise the tach will read wrong.

ndvgQm2.jpg

#30 sbv

sbv

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 14 November 2015 - 10:05 PM

Another turbo outback. Sounds great mate. Good luck!

Look forward to hearing more as you progress.

#31 church

church

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 17 November 2015 - 07:41 AM

Because I'm most likely getting a WRX/STi halfcut, there are bits from a gen 3 Liberty I have to get?

Tell me if this list is right?

From Halfcut

• WRX/STi Engine
  • Halfcut Loom
  • Engine Crossmember 
  • R160/180 Diff
  • Tailshaft (or maybe I can reuse the tailshaft on the current car if 6 speed?)
  • Brakes
  • Driveshafts
  • Wheel hub Assembly
  • ECU
  • Transmission + Shift assembly

From a Gen 3 Wreck

• Liberty Steering rack
  • Liberty Trans crossmember
  • Liberty Suspension (GTB hopefully)
  • 4cyl dash cluster
  • Clutch Master Cylinder + Foot pedal assembly
  • Radiator (or will a WRX one be sufficient?)

Buying brand new

• Gasket kit
  • Fluids
  • Clutch kit
  • Custom Exhaust System

And this is only if things like driveshaft boots arnt split etc. etc.

Also thinking of sending the engine to ichiban to do a full gasket service and attach the clutch kit cause its something I dont want to chance DIYing and since you cant get genuine without a VIN. 

#32 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Stereos, Electrical

Posted 17 November 2015 - 09:10 AM

The half cut will still have the VIN number so you'll be ok on that. The liberty engine cross member should be ok, unless using twin scroll gear. Get a timing belt done while it's out too. Much easier/cheaper on labour, plus it's a good idea as you don't know the service history of the cut. Start from scratch with the servicing.

MY00 Red RX, a nice daily that was sold off once the B4 became reliable...
MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY03 White/Silver H6 Outback, donor car for silver waghoon.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

#33 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 17 November 2015 - 09:12 AM

You'll want a gen 3 auto tailshaft if using a 6 speed too

MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

#34 church

church

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 17 November 2015 - 09:18 AM

You'll want a gen 3 auto tailshaft if using a 6 speed too

Yeah the H6 is a 4EAT so I would assume that its the same for all gen 3

But it seems I got the list down :)

#35 Lukeoly

Lukeoly

Make it BLAAACK!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 266 posts
  • Interests:Boost

Posted 17 November 2015 - 10:49 AM

You can't use an R180 in the Gen 3 easily so I'd stick with an R160. Also the STi steering rack, crossmember, clutch master cylinder and radiator can be used.
Edit: spline is different on GD steering racks. You can either use a GC rack or get a conversion steering knuckle made out of the GD knuckle and the outback one

ndvgQm2.jpg

#36 church

church

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 17 November 2015 - 12:33 PM

You can't use an R180 in the Gen 3 easily so I'd stick with an R160. Also the STi steering rack, crossmember, clutch master cylinder and radiator can be used.
Edit: spline is different on GD steering racks. You can either use a GC rack or get a conversion steering knuckle made out of the GD knuckle and the outback one

So best bet would be getting a 2001+ Bugeye WRX/STi. It would have almost everything I need and pretty much bolts on :)

#37 Robert

Robert

Brappp

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,417 posts
  • Interests:Door Frames

Posted 17 November 2015 - 03:01 PM

The r180 fitted to the 01+ Sti will not fit easily as Luke said

If you want Sti cut just sell the r180 to fund a r160 in the right ratio

#38 church

church

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 17 November 2015 - 03:18 PM

The r180 fitted to the 01+ Sti will not fit easily as Luke said

If you want Sti cut just sell the r180 to fund a r160 in the right ratio

Well depends on what comes up first but I think I'll end out with an R160 anyway :) Really just want the car to get out of the garage first :)

#39 church

church

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 07:33 AM

So update:

Halfcut wont get here till probs feb or march, so plan is to strip the car while I wait :) 

Now another question, do I definatly have to de gas the ac now? If so, does it need an engine running?

#40 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 08:08 AM

While I'm not an ac tech, I believe they can just vac it down with it dead. It needs to be running to correctly regas it though.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: turbo, family, swap, conversion, wrx, outback

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users