#1 Dylan

Dylan

Almost gen2 time.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,236 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 11:53 AM

Hi all,

In my search for information on HOW my Subaru determines speed, I have come across the following document.

Page 8 covers section D) Speedometer.
Page 10 covers section E) Vehicle speed sensor.

I hope this is of some use to you all.

- The speedometer system is an electrical type that uses electric signals from the speed sensor in MT models or the transmission control module in AT models.

- The vehicle speed sensor is installed on the manual transmission.

- Since the system does not use mechanical components such as rotating cable, there are no opportunities of occurring such problems as meter needle vibration and cable disconnection. Also, it does not constitute any means of mechanical noise transmission.

MT models: The vehicle speed sensor sends vehicle speed signals (4 pulses per rotation of speed sensor’s driven shaft) to the speedometer drive circuit and odometer/trip meter drive circuit in the speedometer.

AT models: The TCM sends vehicle speed signals (4 pulses per rotation of output shaft) to the speedometer drive circuit and odometer/trip meter drive circuit in the speedometer.

NOTE: Signals from the speed sensor or TCM are also used by the engine control module, automatic transmission control module, etc.

Example: Needle points to 60 km/h (37.3 MPH) when 2,548 pulses are input per minute.

All in this document: Attached File  01._Combination_Meter.Pdf   479.38KB   5 downloads

#2 Dylan

Dylan

Almost gen2 time.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,236 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 11:58 AM

Location of the speed sensors on some gearboxes (apparently MY99). Assuming would be similar / the same for older / newer models. Attached File  speedsensor1.gif   10.78KB   0 downloads Attached File  speedsensor2.gif   9.31KB   1 downloads

#3 Soop

Soop

Suck, squeeze, bang, blow.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 12:13 PM

Gen 1's have a cable operated speedo. Located in the same location as Sensor two in those figures.
TSM

#4 Richo

Richo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,765 posts
  • Interests:Not the internet

Posted 12 May 2009 - 02:14 PM

Gen 1's have a cable operated speedo. Located in the same location as Sensor two in those figures.

Is that the same for an RS ? it has 'electronic' on the speedo part of cluster.

Stuff goes here

#5 Soop

Soop

Suck, squeeze, bang, blow.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 03:05 PM

No, the RS' are the exception :)
TSM

#6 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 02:08 AM

No, the RS' are the exception :)

Important to note on the gen1's is that the AUDM RS Liberty was electronic like the later gen2s.

JDM Legacy Gen1's are cable driven still.

#7 Scuba-Roo

Scuba-Roo

The local

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,960 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 11:29 AM

Important to note on the gen1's is that the AUDM RS Liberty was electronic like the later gen2s.

JDM Legacy Gen1's are cable driven still.

Ah interesting, i wonder why the JDM stayed cable driven, i thought it would have been the other way around

Subyclub, The place where random internet weirdos become good mates

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users