8 replies to this topic

#1 02_Liberty_RX

02_Liberty_RX

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 30 September 2015 - 05:46 PM

Hey guys,
Just wondering, I pulled the drivers door trim off my Gen 3 lib a couple of days ago to discover that the speaker was on its way out. I had a look and the existing speaker had wiring different to what I had seen. I've got a couple of questions:
How come there is four cables instead of two for the speaker?
What is the size of the speakers?
Are the fronts the same as the rears?
Can I use any speaker which is the right size? (As in 2 way or 3 way etc)
Noticing that the speakers are wired up from the side as opposed to more to the rear, is it hard wiring them up if they are the 'more to the rear' type?

Any help I'd much appreciated as I'm pretty new to this!
Thanks guys :)

#2 RacerX

RacerX

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 276 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Gaming.....

Posted 01 October 2015 - 06:04 PM

Hey man so...

Don't know what you'd mean about 4 wires coming from the speakers should only be 2 positive and negative

For speaker size you'd want 6.5" inch but try for shallow ones as the doors are quite thin, or use spacers
Yes the fronts are the same size as rears

In terms of speaker the right size, you'd want a component system in the front and a coaxial in the rear 3 way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 CRUISN

CRUISN

Doin it my way.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,970 posts
  • Interests:Family, Surfing, Cars.

Posted 01 October 2015 - 06:45 PM

Front speakers have 4 wires in the plug as one pair powers the speaker, the other pair goes up to the tweeter.

OEM+

#4 02_Liberty_RX

02_Liberty_RX

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 07:05 PM

Hey man so...

Don't know what you'd mean about 4 wires coming from the speakers should only be 2 positive and negative

For speaker size you'd want 6.5" inch but try for shallow ones as the doors are quite thin, or use spacers
Yes the fronts are the same size as rears

In terms of speaker the right size, you'd want a component system in the front and a coaxial in the rear 3 way

Yeah that's what I meant sorry, 2 positive and 2 negative wires. that's where I got confused. As I've only seen singular wires (1 pos & 1 neg). (Still very new to this).

Would 6' inch speakers work, because I checked my speakers and its only the rears that are really sounding terrible, the fronts will be sufficient for the time. I haven't taken the cards off the rears yet and so I haven't seen the condition of the speakers. But do the rears only have 1 positive and 1 negative wire? And are they connected the same as the front?

Lastly, would 2 way speakers be fine for the rears? Because I might just replace them and leave the fronts for now.

Thanks for the help guys, its much appreciated :)

#5 RacerX

RacerX

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 07:16 PM

6 inch would work, but you'd need adapters created out of mdf or buy some plastic ones to get the holes to line up
When you say 2 way speakers are you referring to components ? As in they have a separate tweeter and cross over?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#6 02_Liberty_RX

02_Liberty_RX

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 08:03 PM

These are the speakers I am hoping to put into the rear doors!

Attached Files

#7 02_Liberty_RX

02_Liberty_RX

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 08:27 PM

Being a 2 way speaker, would this be sufficient for the rears?

6 inch would work, but you'd need adapters created out of mdf or buy some plastic ones to get the holes to line up
When you say 2 way speakers are you referring to components ? As in they have a separate tweeter and cross over?

Sorry man, they are actually 6.5' inch, I misread the box. So would they line up with the existing holes?

Nah, they are two way coaxial, so the tweeter is directly on the woofer. (I'm still learning the terminology)

#8 RacerX

RacerX

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 02 October 2015 - 09:11 AM

Being a 2 way speaker, would this be sufficient for the rears?

Sorry man, they are actually 6.5' inch, I misread the box. So would they line up with the existing holes?
Nah, they are two way coaxial, so the tweeter is directly on the woofer. (I'm still learning the terminology)

Yeah os they would work really well no worries, i cant remember exactly but I'm pretty sure you still need a speaker adapter

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#9 02_Liberty_RX

02_Liberty_RX

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 02 October 2015 - 11:23 AM

Thanks for all your help man, I really appreciate it!

Just one last thing. I'm unsure on how the wiring for the front speakers works. As it has two positive and two negative. Would you be able to explain how they work as I wouldn't mind doing the fronts as well.
Thanks again, much appreciated :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users