• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 wain

wain

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 10:58 AM

hi.i have a 98 gen2 outback.i lost the tip of my key in the shopping centre car park.i had a worn spare key hidden under the car.it wouldnt turn the ignition switch.i have removed ignition switch and i am using a screwdriver as a key now.the switch is now at the locksmiths.

now it sometimes wont start.will turn over but not fire then it will act like a flat battery.starter motor is perfect and the battery tests good.any suggestions.i dont think i will buy another subaru.ive had heaps of trouble with this lemon.thanx in advance.

#2 Robbks

Robbks

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 03:33 PM

the Immobiliser transponder is built into the key in most Subaru's

What Year (MYxx) is the car.

Blaming the car as a Lemon while you're using a screwdriver to start it is hardly the cars fault.

#3 wain

wain

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 06 November 2015 - 08:57 AM

its a 1998 generation 2 subaru outback model as stated above.it is a plain metal key without an immobiliser.this is just ANOTHER problem with this car.its a money pit.

#4 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,012 posts

Posted 06 November 2015 - 09:14 AM

How are you starting it?

"removied ignition switch", "starting with screwdriver"

So I guess you're not using the screwdriver as a key.

Do you have it hot-wired and jumping the screwdriver across the starter solenoid?

There's so many wrongs with this question its hard to know where to start.

Your problem is not a subaru one - its an operator problem.

#5 wain

wain

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 07:50 AM

wtf.how could it be operater problem?

why mention the solenoid?

do you hotwire yours when you use a key?

only thing different is the key now is a screwdriver.cant get operater problem with turning a screwdriver in a clockwise direction till it starts then releasing it.then turn the screwdriver in an anticlockwise direction to turn it off.

i might not be einstein but i do know how to start a car.

your car (presuming you have one) might be from another planet if yours is different.or you actually havent tried starting a car

#6 LukeFranky

LukeFranky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 08:41 AM

How do you use a screwdriver as a key if you have removed the ignition switch?

your car (presuming you have one) might be from another planet if yours is different.or you actually havent tried starting a car

- I guess a car can seem as complicated as a space ship to some people...

The B4 Bomber - 2002 MY03 Subaru Liberty B4, ADM, Manual, EJ208. 

#7 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Stereos, Electrical

Posted 09 November 2015 - 08:58 AM

I think what he's getting at is he has bypassed or removed the barrel, leaving just the switch mech which can be operated by a flat blade screwdriver. The only issue with this is it also removes the immobiliser transponders connection through the barrel from the key. Think VS commodore. They have a contact on the key that must be in contact with the barrel to work. Subaru utilises a different system, but I would hazard a guess that that's part of the issue. Not having a go, but when I first read this topic, it sounded like someone who had stolen a car and couldn't get past the immobiliser. If it is a genuine issue, put it on a flatbed truck and take it to a dealership. I'm all for helping out, but this topic just doesn't sound right.

MY00 Red RX, a nice daily that was sold off once the B4 became reliable...
MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY03 White/Silver H6 Outback, donor car for silver waghoon.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

#8 RX25SE

RX25SE

...............Car nerd................ now a H6 pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts
  • Interests:Cars with chrome bumpers!

Posted 09 November 2015 - 09:00 AM

Oh lord. Careful what you type.

Some people on here have exceptional knowledge on how a motor car operates and more often than not are willing to help.

Not having a go, but when I first read this topic, it sounded like someone who had stolen a car and couldn't get past the immobiliser.

Same here, hence not jumping in at this point with advice.

If I told you I was a compulsive liar, would you believe me?

#9 Robbks

Robbks

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 10:01 AM

What's the VIN of the car.
From that we can tell if it would have had a factory standard immobiliser fitted.

and also tell if it's stolen...

#10 Guest_KONG_*

Guest_KONG_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2015 - 03:27 PM

wtf.how could it be operater problem?

why mention the solenoid?

do you hotwire yours when you use a key?

only thing different is the key now is a screwdriver.cant get operater problem with turning a screwdriver in a clockwise direction till it starts then releasing it.then turn the screwdriver in an anticlockwise direction to turn it off.

i might not be einstein but i do know how to start a car.

Did you put petrol init?

#11 wain

wain

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 04:09 PM

there is NO immobiliser on the car.the key is just a plain metal key like a house key.i have removed the whole ignition switch and housing containing the steering lock.the back drops out of the housing and that is where the wires are and the slot to put the screwdriver.it is an intermittent problem.might start 20 times as normal then play up.

i  started it a little while ago and at first it wouldnt fire then tried again and it was like a flat battery and i thought i heard a SPARK.maybe there is a loose wire behind the plastic surround under the steering wheel.when i removed that the lower the steering column i noticed there were a lot of electrical do dahs screwed to it.im about to go and remove the panel and see if i can find a loose wire.

the car isnt stolen.ive had it for 4 years now.im just over working on it but am now looking for a new car.will sell this for parts.still regoed till feb.

the car im probably getting tomorrow is a subaru sportswagon 4x4.had an earlier model before i bought this outback but it got stolen from the boat ramp while i was fishing.it was a great little car.went good on the beach.the outback was ok on the beach but lacked ground clearance.

#12 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,012 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 04:48 PM

did you check down the watery end of the boat ramp?

Maybe someone pushed it in because they couldn't get it started with their screwdriver.

#13 wain

wain

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 08:22 AM

did you check down the watery end of the boat ramp?

Maybe someone pushed it in because they couldn't get it started with their screwdriver.

lol

i didnt find any loose wires.

i did discover that the screwdriver probabley turns more than the key would.if i turned the screwdriver as far as it will go i get the flat battery condition.so the contacts inside are past where they should be to supply power.i hope that is all it was

#14 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,012 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 10:43 AM

aha -- sounds like the solution.

Glad you found it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users