#1 motorculture

motorculture

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 08 December 2015 - 12:21 PM

Subaru%20News%20Outback%20Breaks%20Recor

Subaru’s new generation All-Wheel Drive Outback has sold more than 10,000 for the first time in its history.

With year-to-date (YTD) sales of 10,146, Outback has broken the record with a month of sales still to go.

Outback sales of 962 in November were up 634.4 per cent for the month and 351.5 per cent YTD, according to official VFACTS results.

Overall Subaru sales of 3884 mean Subaru sales are up 7.9 per cent for the year.

Also performing strongly was Liberty, with 314 sales, up 368.7 per cent for the month and 309.2 per cent YTD.

Forester sales of 1137 and XV at 572 in November again underlined Subaru’s SUV success story.

Subaru Australia Managing Director, Nick Senior, said: “Outback has had a phenomenal year and shows no sign of slowing.

“It’s the right car for the right times and its combination of value, efficiency, engineering, reliability and five star safety are proving irresistible to Australian buyers.”

The latest results place Subaru in a strong position to surpass the 2014 all-time sales record of 40,502 vehicles.

For more information on Subaru locally, visit:

Subaru Australia: http://www.subaru.com.au/  

Subaru WRX Premium: http://www.subaru.com.au/wrx/premium  

Subaru WRX STI Premium: http://www.subaru.co...wrx-sti/premium

#2 Jimbo

Jimbo

Livin' the Legacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 06:17 PM

They could have doubled or tripled the Liberty sales if Subaru had offered a wagon body style and a GT variant to both, alongside the 3.6R.

It blows my mind they only offered the 3.6R instead of a GT variant. Given today's focus on economy it just seems so backwards. All they had to do was drop in the new FA20 with the full 218kw/400nm with a 6 slotter and stick a bonnet scoop on it! What an awesome flagship it would have been.

It's actually frustrating and sad to see how Subaru have treated the Legacy/Liberty since the end of the Gen4 cycle. I purely blame the American market and the awful Gen5 styling for the lack of line up in the current Gen6 Liberty. They tried so hard to appease the USA market with their big oversized chunky and ugly styling that they overlooked one of the biggest markets locally in Japan and here in Aus. It was so ugly there was a huge sales slump compared to the Gen4. Did the design team really stand back and look at what they created with the Gen5 exterior styling and thought it was a job well done? Was it bring-your-child-to-work day when they penned it?

In my honest opinion, the Gen6 is what the Gen5 SHOULD have been 6 years ago. Subaru finally got it right with the Gen6 this time around but ended up shafting the enthusiasts and getting all Toyota in their Liberty line up. Though, in saying that, I'm really suprised there was no GT turbo for the American market. Do they really love their bland N/A's that much?

Without the GT variant, we are seeing many more marques come out of the woodwork with an equivalent performance tourer and Subaru have just left the game and sold themselves short. Are Subaru really going to let the likes of Korean marques and everyone else tread on their GT turf? Subaru have just packed their bags and walked out of the game. The Subaru Liberty GT was the go-to car for comfort and performance without the huge price tag.

Then they give us the Levorg with no manual option... I've had Gen1 through 4 in the top GT trims, where am I supposed to go after this? 

I hope Subaru are listening.....

'04 Liberty GT Premium "The Sprog Chariot"

#3 zahmad

zahmad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 09:52 PM

Jimbo, I agree with most of your statements.

Let me elaborate more on the North American market. They decided that they wanted to for the volume in the mid size segment with the Legacy so they chased after the Altima, Accord and the Camry. With that came their requirement to meet MPG - hence the CVT.

Design wise for the Gen 5, i think it must have been approved by North American customer committee who said they liked those features.

Regarding North America being the main market, they are so much larger in terms of sales for Subaru, that we don't matter.

The Gen 6 is indeed all the styling items fixed up and how the car should have looked. Regarding the GT in NA, no one there knew about it and bought one. It was really rare there and more H6 were sold (likewise in AU) as that the traditional powertrain option. The GT was a real niche and even if they brought it out today, it will be once more.

The Americans love the smooth nature and typical six cylinder characteristics of the H6 and hence why that option was chosen over a potential GT.

Problem with making a GT with the full spec FA20 is that it will be too expensive and won't be efficient enough compared to its rivals. Not worth investing in it to be a niche model just for Japan and Australia. In saying that, we are buying more Liberty/Outback than ever.

Funny that you mention the Koreans - they have the Optima GT Turbo and Sonata Turbo.

Turbo affordable mid size sedan...

Its a real shame as the hardware is all there, Subaru just has to make it!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users