• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 skip.to.maloo

skip.to.maloo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 02:59 PM

Hi guys, I am currently stuck between a rock and a hard place. I have a 2002 Subaru Liberty/Legacy with a 2.5L N/A engine and auto trans. I know the short block is a dud and the heads was recently reconditioned. I have exhausted all other options and have 1 option remaining which is to replace the engine. I have been trying to find a low kilometer EJ25 Gen3 but deemed unsuccessful. However there are heaps of Gen5 and several Gen4 EJ25 engines which have low kilometers. 

So my question is will the current Gen3 reconditioned heads fit on the Gen4/5 short block without modification? and will i be able to perform a simple engine swap from the current Gen3 dud to a gen 4/5?

Thanks heaps in advance.

#2 Robbks

Robbks

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 03:56 PM

Essentially, yes.
All EJ heads will bolt to all EJ Blocks.

However you would need to confirm that there are no differences in Deck-heights and piston clearance issues above the deck.

ANd you will need to put all your Gen3 Sensors and manifolds onto the other block

#3 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 08:12 PM

flog the heads - source a low KM engine.

You're still going to have the wiring problem, though.

#4 skip.to.maloo

skip.to.maloo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 06:47 AM

Thanks guys for your reply.

If I use Gen3 heads, senors and manifolds on the Gen5 engine and assuming the deck height and piston clearances are ok, would I be able to save myself the hassle of a wiring problem? Would there be any way to avoid rewiring the loom if I used an EJ25 short block which wasn't Gen3?

#5 Robbks

Robbks

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 07:37 AM

As long as you can find a SOHC EJ25, you should be able to just bolt your intake and exhaust manifolds onto it which takes care of 99% of the sensors.
you may need to do some fiddling with swapping in the cam/crank sensors from the gen3 and possibly the coolant crossover pipe.

also remember that Forester, Outback and Impreza RS all shared the same engines

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users