• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 incoming

incoming

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 08:34 AM

Picked up OEM towbar for outback from wreckers. Searched internet on DIY but can't find anything. Does anyone know how to do or have links?
I've looked up foresters libertys and Imprezas but the undercarriage looks different

#2 OuTTback

OuTTback

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 09:26 AM

It's quite a fiddly job as the tow bar goes on and off with the entire rear bumper and it's bracing. I've had the towbars on and off my old gen 2 and also my gen 3 Outbacks but it's been a while soooo all care but no responsibility given:

To remove the rear bumper, unclip all the round black plastic clips underneath and remove the top mudflap screws.

Remove all the floor panels inside the boot area.

Remove the four (or six) 14mm bolts going through the floor pan down into the bumper bar support.

Slide the entire assembly backwards towards you and remove. You can then get to the top bumper bar clips and remove the bumper.

Separate the bumper from the support.

Re-install  the towbar and the bumper as a complete unit using the towbar assembly as the bumper support. If your car is a gen2 you will need to reuse the top part of the bumper bar support.

Refit the top clips before the tow bar is fitted all the way as you can't access them with it fully in.

Tip: Check the used tow bar goes in and out of its mounting points cleanly before trying to reinstall it with the rear bumper. The tow bar may be slightly bent. Clean the inside of the chassis rails where the towbar slides in to and spray it with WD40 before fitting.

You the gotta wire into the rear harness or if you got the correct trailer harness it should just plug in.

Subaru supplies a transmission cooler if your car is auto. They clearly have little faith in their standard autos cooling system. No cooler for manual trans.

#3 Arfreedom

Arfreedom

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 10:00 PM

Hi there, new to the club. I have a legacy GT-B with ej20 and I also have a trailer. But I was wondering if I can put a tow hook also on my model. Is there wire connection also like the outback?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#4 Allan Smith

Allan Smith

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 October 2016 - 01:02 PM

I found this link that was very helpful.
http://www.perth-wrx...stallation.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users