No replies to this topic

#1 Schnapper

Schnapper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 05:06 PM

Hi there all, first post!
I'm possibly about to buy a 2008 Outback, 2.5l,auto. It has a few scuffs on the outside but otherwise is on pretty good condition.
The only thing is, the steering rack is leaking (which I hear is a common problem) and also there are leaks from the "transmission hoses".

I have a feeling I can replace this all by myself (mechanically minded), how much am I expending to pay for a new rack? I can buy a second hand rack and put new bushes on yeah? Also might as well upgrade to a liberty rack (2.8 as opposed to 3.1?) which models are a straight swap with that ratio?

Second of all the transmission hoses are leaking slightly, I think this is just a hose replacement so no biggie, I can do that and put on hose clamps.

Im living interstate and got the car inspected by MTA, these are the only two issues noted, otherwise it's had logbook servicing (time not km) so it looks like it's been looked after.

Thanks in advance for your help, hopefully I'll have some pics of the new beast up soon!

Oh also, the inspection noted a steering knock when rocked side to side, I'd say this is the steering rack?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users