PeeKay

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 149 posts
  • Interests:Tsssstsutsutsutsutsu

Posted 11 March 2016 - 08:50 AM

Hey lads,

As per title care is making a single clunk sound when I turn right. It's coming from the left suspension area. Anything I should be looking into/out for when I jack it up tomorrow?

Should be noted that there is no sound when the car is stationary and I turn the wheels end to end.

Thanks!

Edit:

Car has BC coilovers and a front sway bar FYI

#2 TSG

TSG

Cured

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 09:07 AM

lol, I spent about 6 months diagnosing clunk sounds in the front end of my B4. If it only happens under braking when you turn right, it might be brake pads moving in the calipers. Bendix pads are known to shrink as they wear. Probably the weirdest diagnosis we found out for mine. Prior to that I had changed swaybar bushes, steering rack bushes.. the noise remained. The noise started after the front passenger wheel bearing failed, and they had to replace the hub and the CV. The best fix was a genuine brake pad kit with new shims and clips.

If you can move the pad with a screwdriver, its a possible issue. You either put up with the noise until the pads are worn and need replacing, or change them because its driving you nuts. But it could be something completely unrelated, moral of the story, clunks that occur under certain conditions are a cvnt to diagnose.

#3 andrew_k

andrew_k

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 09:11 AM

Default clunk response: check sway bar end link nuts are super tight.

#4 LukeFranky

LukeFranky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 11:28 AM

I had a similar clunk that turned out to be a wheel bearing.

The B4 Bomber - 2002 MY03 Subaru Liberty B4, ADM, Manual, EJ208. 

#5 Robbks

Robbks

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 01:42 PM

Lower Control Arm Bushes

#6 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts
  • Interests:Subarus, 4wd'n Subarus, travelling Subarus, Tinkering... I could go on!

Posted 28 March 2016 - 08:02 AM

I got this in my L series, a mate's gen II liberty and mum's old corolla when the front struts had died. But being that you've got a set of coil overs I doubt that's the issue.

Other things to consider - ball joints. Easy to spot a torn boot. Jack up that side of the car and see if you can hear or feel it by trying to move the wheel/hub in different directions. Pull the top of the wheel towards you and away from you at the bottom. Do this the reverse as well. This may show up the issue in the steering or the bearings.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
https://www.imageshack.us/i/po1BKrxbj
1BKrxb.jpg
El Freddo's Pics    -    El_Freddo's youtube

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users