PeeKay

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 149 posts
  • Interests:Tsssstsutsutsutsutsu

Posted 31 March 2016 - 02:57 PM

Hey lads,

Posted this on FB but not all of you are on that so posting again here to hopefully get some guidance.

My B4 now single turbo was driving along (it had been about 5 minutes since start and had just warmed up) put it into 3rd and decided to go for a hit. Approached 4-4.5k and the car jerked like a fuel/boost cut. At first I thought all the dash lights came on because of some catastrophic malfunction but I now realise the car had just turned off. Anyway I was able to roll to the side of the street. Turned off my turbo timer so car was completely off and then went to start the car again. It cranks and feels like its on the cusp of turning on but just doesn't. All electrics are functioning, crank and cam sensor seem to be okay (pored water on the crank sensor as I was told they can overheat at times but that did nothing), accessory belts are in tact and fuel pump is priming. I do note that the pump sounds different - along with the normal whine of priming there is a weird sound like air in the system that wasn't present before but may be in my head. Should also be noted I recently had a DW300 installed. 

Next steps when I get home and am able to drive out to the car (about 10 mins away):

- turn the ignition and hope it was just a bad dream

- pull fuel supply line and prime pump to see if getting fuel at injectors

- pull MAF (unlikely, but why not)

- see if I can read any codes that may have popped up

I don't want to start pulling the car apart on the side of the road so if there is anything else that's relatively easy to check please let me know. If I can't figure it out it'll be on a tow truck to Ichiban next week.

Thanks all,

Pranav

#2 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 31 March 2016 - 03:13 PM

When was the fuel pump installed?

That'd be the first thing I'd suspect -- something you changed recently.  Pull it from the tank and make sure the pickup is ok, its seated in the plastic clip-on cage ok, and its all plugged in ok (lines, o-rings).   If you don't want to do any of that on the side of the road, take 10l of fuel with you and top up the tank, which may (slight chance) fix it - and check it at home.

#3 Robbks

Robbks

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 31 March 2016 - 03:32 PM

Always.
"What Has Changed"  Start there.

Also pi$$s off that turbo timer, unless it's a VL commo, it belongs in the bin.
Not required on modern water-cooled turbo's

#4 PeeKay

PeeKay

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 31 March 2016 - 03:52 PM

I only have it still as the aftermarket alarm takes about 10 seconds to auto-lock which is not enough time for me to get out of the car lol. Turbo timer keeps it on for a little longer and then I just lock, windows auto go up and I walk away while putting on sun glasses.

And thanks guys, I'm also suspicious of the pump. Recently had a tune from JEM and carberry rom install so hopefully nothing has gone amiss there.

#5 Robert

Robert

Brappp

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,419 posts
  • Interests:Door Frames

Posted 31 March 2016 - 08:10 PM

I'd be putting my money on the fuel pump or fuel delivery related

#6 Guest_KONG_*

Guest_KONG_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2016 - 09:35 AM

On the Central coast photo meet, approx 3 years ago when Ian owned the car, a very similar thing happened.

It ended up being a completely blocked fuel filter and a dying Walbro pump.

The fuel was basically muddy.

Sorry to also advise you, the threads that hold the fuel filter in place are stripped so you may have a hard time getting the bolts out.

#7 PeeKay

PeeKay

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 03:56 PM

Update: called NRMA so they can organise a tow for me tomorrow. Old mate pulled off a line to the manifold and dropped some fuel in and she started up straight away. So that's good news. We also checked the fuse in car and that's fine (is there one in engine bay? Couldn't spot it).

So happy it's not all the worst case scenarios people were mentioning on Facebook

#8 PeeKay

PeeKay

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 04 April 2016 - 02:31 PM

Update: Ichiban called and shes up and running great again. Cap came off the fuel filter which was also changed when they did fuel pump. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users