#1 motorculture

motorculture

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 03:27 PM

Prodrive%20set%20to%20tackle%20Isle%20Of

Legendary rally car engineering company Prodrive has partnered with Subaru to break the four-wheeled lap record at The Isle of Man

The Isle of Man TT is one of the most dangerous and grueling races in existence. Held on the 37.75 mile Snaefell Mountain Course, the lap record stands at an incredible average speed of 132.701mph - set by TT legend John McGuinness in the 2015 Senior TT.
Make a mistake on this ‘track’, and forget a sand trap of kitty litter – it’s a telegraph pole or the side of a house that riders and drivers will be faced with.

Over the years, sections of the circuit have been used for car hill climb events and the iconic Manx rally, but the entire 37.75 mile course has been primarily restricted to motorcycle racing. This has always left the question: how fast would a four-wheeled machine get around the circuit? Rallying legend Tony Pond was given access back in 1990 to do a lap in a lightly-modified Rover 827. He smashed the 100mph barrier, but was still quite a way off the fastest bikes of the day.

In recent years, Mark Higgins and Subaru have also been given special dispensation to attack the course during TT week. In 2014, the Manxman managed to set an astonishing lap speed of 117.510mph in a 2015 WRX STI. Aside from an FIA-spec roll-cage, racing seat, fire suppression system and modified springs and dampers the car was basically stock. An incredible time, and faster than the sidecar lap speed which currently stands at 116.785mph. But the two-wheeled machines still clearly rule.

So, for 2016, STI has partnered up with legendary race car engineering company Prodrive to take on the bikes. Specifications are strictly under wraps, but pictures show a custom tarmac-spec rally car on steroids. With no championship regulations to adhere to, we can expect this car to pack some serious firepower.

We’re also fascinated to find out the Subaru’s specific chassis specifications, because the car will have to cope with 190mph corners, 170mph jumps and 20mph hairpins.

More details will be released next week.

Source/Images: Car Throttle

For more information on Subaru locally, visit:

Subaru Australia: http://www.subaru.com.au/  

Subaru WRX Premium: http://www.subaru.com.au/wrx/premium    

Subaru WRX STI Premium: http://www.subaru.co...wrx-sti/premium     

#2 Shaz

Shaz

Differential Studios

• SC Videographer
  • 23,188 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 09:06 AM

Love the look of the front end. Looks mean as. 

I put up with people from amnesty, red cross and now the cancer council almost daily hounding me!! Throw in the greens, green peace, unhcr, save the forking children and I've well and truly hit my limit for the number of fuckstains wanting me to sign something or give money. Seriously cubts,  :fork: right off.

#3 Robbks

Robbks

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 10:26 AM

What it's gotta beat

#4 Shaz

Shaz

Differential Studios

• SC Videographer
  • 23,188 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 10:35 AM

^-- biggest balls in the world. 

I put up with people from amnesty, red cross and now the cancer council almost daily hounding me!! Throw in the greens, green peace, unhcr, save the forking children and I've well and truly hit my limit for the number of fuckstains wanting me to sign something or give money. Seriously cubts,  :fork: right off.

#5 LPM_B4

LPM_B4

LPM_FOZ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 10:56 AM

^-- biggest balls in the world. 

+juan

mind you the bike fellas on that track are next level crazy

#6 Liberty

Liberty

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,869 posts
  • Interests:tl;dr

Posted 10 April 2016 - 12:53 PM

Love the look of the front end. Looks mean as. 

Yeap. Very nice WRX STi.

Wanting to buy/looking for: single genuine STi rim, genuine STi front lip, Corazon or Zero/Sports grille and another OEM grille

Can you hook a brother up? Please contact me now. I have cash ready.

~

3fxl2Ca.jpg

~

2006 Liberty MY06 3.0R SpecB wagon

#7 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 10 April 2016 - 01:17 PM

+juan

mind you the bike fellas on that track are next level crazy

You're not wrong there.

Also check out Mark Higgens' run with a media passenger in 2011 - high pucker near crash due to extra weight

https://youtu.be/tZjAU943BfY?t=241

#8 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,458 posts
  • Interests:Docking

Posted 10 April 2016 - 03:50 PM

Good now make a production car with the same wide body and call it the 23B or something. Watch it sell out in seconds

tIeW8DE.png

#9 Shaz

Shaz

Differential Studios

• SC Videographer
  • 23,188 posts

Posted 15 April 2016 - 01:55 PM

Hahaha "Biggest moment of my life there, how you doin"

"Yeah great" 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users