• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Sladdo

Sladdo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 04:47 PM

Gday guys. I'm after some help with identifying my Liberty's running gear. According to Subaru, it left the factory as a GX. It has Ralley decals on the side of it, GT badge on the boot. Full bodykit, auto climate control etc. Anyway back in 2000, its had an EJ20 twin turbo fitted. According to the mod plate paper work its plated for engine, gearbox & brakes. Is there anyway I can work out which model my brakes, motor, box came from? As I'm sure it will be asked when I go to buy replacement parts for it. Cheers

Attached File  20160402_120729.jpg   169.09KB   17 downloads

#2 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,456 posts
  • Interests:Docking

Posted 06 April 2016 - 05:03 PM

Post some pics up of the engine bay and the brakes for us and we'll be able to help out :)

tIeW8DE.png

#3 CRUISN

CRUISN

Doin it my way.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,970 posts
  • Interests:Family, Surfing, Cars.

Posted 06 April 2016 - 05:20 PM

Pics and measurements for brakes, gearbox and engine number please.

OEM+

#4 Sladdo

Sladdo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 05:34 PM

Engine #072106.

Ive attached pic of engine. Let me know if theres anything more specific in the engine bay you need a pic of.

Please excuse poor brake photos. My mate has my jack so unable to remove wheels at this minute to get a decent pic or measurements.

Again, without a jack, i wouldnt get a decent gearbox pic. I could put it on the hoist tomorrow at work. If it helps, it revs at about 3000rpm at 100km/h.....??

Thanks guys.

Attached File  20160406_172427.jpg   153.13KB   20 downloads

Attached File  20160406_172640.jpg   79.08KB   17 downloads

Attached File  20160406_172659.jpg   64.82KB   17 downloads

#5 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,456 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 05:41 PM

Its some kind of Twin turbo gen 2 engine. Probably a 20H as it hasn't got an orange maf by the looks of the plug. Brakes are probably from the same car

Highly likely its just had a half cut put into it so the brakes, loom and climate control went with it. We never got that engine in australia so youll have a hard time getting parts from subaru australia for it. However it will share some bits (gaskets and so on) with a similar era WRX

tIeW8DE.png

#6 Sladdo

Sladdo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 05:54 PM

Hmmm ok. Actually the AFM has written on it EJ25 in the usual wreckers texta haha so its been replaced at some stage. All I'm really worried about is getting timing belt kits, drive belts...you know the usual maintenance items. Would they be common with ADM EJ20?? Definitely need to look into upgrading pads & rotors soon though. I'm sure they could be measured up without much hassle. Thanks for your help :)

#7 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,456 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 06:00 PM

What colour is the sticker on the AFM? As far as timing belts and stuff any DOHC subaru parts should work

tIeW8DE.png

#8 CRUISN

CRUISN

Doin it my way.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,970 posts
  • Interests:Family, Surfing, Cars.

Posted 06 April 2016 - 06:03 PM

Gearbox number is on the passenger side on top of bell housing, no need to get underneath. Brake pics don't help much are the rear rotors vented or solid?

OEM+

#9 Sladdo

Sladdo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 06:24 PM

Perhaps 748212 for the gearbox number? Very dirty & perhaps I've missed something or misread. Ill degrease tomorrow. Rear rotors are vented.

#10 Sladdo

Sladdo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 06:26 PM

AFM sticker is green & silver.

#11 Miguel

Miguel

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 07:02 PM

3k @ 100 I'm gonna say you've likely got a 4.44 gearset with a .738 5th gear. TY752VBCAA is fairly likely as it seems to be the most common 4.44 5 speed. I reckon it's likely yuve got a series 1 EJ20H.
As Nick said 20R will have the larger 90mm orange label AFM and a facelift 20H will run a purple label with a 3 pin plug. S1 should be a blue label AFM but I've just gone outside and run a test and it turns out green label and blue label will run cars designed for the other perfectly so that's a thing.
Peel back the carpet on the passenger side, remove the kick plate and have a look at your ECU. It should be a 4 plug ecu. The large digits(usually a number then a letter but sometimes 2 numbers or letters) will tell us what it's running.
What do your cam covers look like? Are they completely smooth or do they have ribs on top and 4 cam 16 valve cast into them?

MjC8i57.jpg

#12 Sladdo

Sladdo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 07:03 AM

Thanks for the good info Miguel. I'll have a look shortly at the ECU. Cam covers are ribbed with the 4 Cam 16 Valve.

#13 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,456 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 11:07 AM

Sounds like a series one (94-96) 20H engine

tIeW8DE.png

#14 Sladdo

Sladdo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 08 April 2016 - 07:48 PM

Attached File  20160408_190243.jpg   61.63KB   12 downloads

#15 Jimbo

Jimbo

Livin' the Legacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 09 April 2016 - 06:10 PM

First giveaway to an early TT motor is the second vac-line coming out of the the secondary BOV to compressor housing bridge, an extra hose group to the solenoid box and the internal wastegate on the secondary turbo.

'04 Liberty GT Premium "The Sprog Chariot"

#16 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 09 April 2016 - 08:19 PM

Ecu is BD/BG A type. EJ20H

See here

#17 Sladdo

Sladdo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 10 April 2016 - 08:08 AM

Awesome guys thanks alot!

#18 Sladdo

Sladdo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 21 August 2016 - 08:04 AM

Hey guys. Now the air flow metre has died in this thing. Since we've established the engine is an early EJ20H, what would the correct AFM for it? It currently has a green label one fitted with EJ25 written on it. Miguel has said the car will run on any AFM, where as I've had a Suby mechanic tell me yes it'll run, but not properly. Anymore thoughts on this?

#19 Miguel

Miguel

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 10:08 AM

I never said it'll run on any afm, I said Green and blue are interchangeable which they are. Shove in another Green label out of any non turbo gen1 or gen2. Done

MjC8i57.jpg

#20 Benzene

Benzene

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 30 August 2019 - 04:35 PM

Hey Guys, I'm now the proud owner of this Liberty, would anyone have a vacuum hose diagram for it? it appears to have a couple of vacuum ports open on the inside of the black box on the drivers side shock tower.  Should it have a vacuum tank ( it doesn't ) ?

Thanks in advance!

Benzene

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users