• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Sladdo

Sladdo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 07:24 PM

Hey guys just ran a code test on my 96' twin turbo Liberty & recovered code #45 - Pressure Exchange Solenoid Valve. Having a bit of trouble locating said valve. None of the workshop manual links on this site are working for me.....Google just leads me on a maze of shit. Any help or direction would be much appreciated. Thanks

#2 Jimbo

Jimbo

Livin' the Legacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 11:31 PM

Likely the boost control solenoid in the inner guard on the passenger side. Accessible by removing the inner mud guard in the wheel arch.

There's about 6 solenoids in the black box, 3 are related to the ECV and 2 for the secondary bypass valve, last one is related to idle control, so unlikely any of those.

'04 Liberty GT Premium "The Sprog Chariot"

#3 Robert

Robert

Brappp

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,417 posts
  • Interests:Door Frames

Posted 06 April 2016 - 11:34 PM

Isn't the pressure exchange the one that intercepts the map?

#4 Sladdo

Sladdo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 06:58 AM

I'll have a look Jimbo cheers. Robert not too sure what you by intercepts the map??

#5 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 08:54 AM

Yep, see   http://www.subyclub....itched-in-bbod/

Certainly, for Rev A-C BH JDM TT's, there's a pressure (MAP) sensor which is switched between sensing manifold and atmospheric pressure.  Rev-D seemed to move to two separate sensors.

The solenoid which does that job is called the  "Pressure Source Exchange Solenoid"

Pull your BBOD (box of vacuum tubes and solenoids just aft of the airbox) out, and give all the tubes and solenoids a good flush with carb cleaner and check they work ok.  Be careful of pills in the lines (restrictions) - don't lose them.

Your car will thank you by running better.

#6 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 09:02 AM

Here's a pic of a BG5 BBOD which shows the solenoid (connected to '11')

Screenshot2011-07-14at71505PM.png

#7 Sladdo

Sladdo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 12:14 PM

Ok cool. I'll have a suss this arvo.

I do remember reading up on cleaning out the vacuum hoses & solenoids. Do I have to remove the restrictors from the hoses prior to cleaning or can they stay in? Is it even worth replacing all the hoses with fresh aftermarket silicon ones? Although id have to make sure the internal diameter of the vacuum hoses are all the same...

#8 Robbks

Robbks

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 04:07 PM

While you're there

grab a pair of switches and wire them to the ECU Test Mode and Read Mode connectors up under the steering column near the drivers knees.
This will allow you to do your frequent ECU resets without leaving the seat.
trust me you'll get used to doing it.

#TTLIFE

#9 Sladdo

Sladdo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 06:30 PM

Well that oily solenoid cant be good....Attached File  20160407_182515.jpg   109.22KB   3 downloads

#10 Jimbo

Jimbo

Livin' the Legacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 06:55 PM

Ah my bad.

Checked diagrams and couldn't find the PES. All I could find was Idle Control Solenoid which must be Subaru talk for PES, at least according to the diagrams I looked at. Though, wouldn't hurt to give the BCS the same treatment!

Even the most hardened TT gurus get it wrong. Load it up with solenoids they said, it'd be fun they said........

To the OP, I would say that solenoid which is showing severe signs of incontinence, is probably your culprit!

'04 Liberty GT Premium "The Sprog Chariot"

#11 Sladdo

Sladdo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 07:05 PM

Yepp!! Doing the vacuum line & solenoid clean is looking pretty daunting haha

#12 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 07:12 PM

Take the box out. Can of compressed air, can of carb cleaner, 12V source. One line at a time, done

#13 Sladdo

Sladdo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 07:44 PM

Yeah a Friday arvo job I think.

#14 Robbks

Robbks

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 08 April 2016 - 08:53 AM

The Gen2 Code 45 relates to the Pressure Duty Solenoid
not the "Pressure Exchange" Solenoid that you'd see paired with a MAP sensor on a single turbo.

Within the BBoD you will see the bigger of the solenoids as pictured, the gold one.
that is your Pressure Duty Solenoid.
it is (poorly) responsible for pre-spool of the secondary turbo. by operating on the Positive Pressure (top) Port of the ECV

it's also fed from a vac line under the TMIC which gunks up with oil.

This is one part of the system that you can bypass easily, and manually adjust the ECV for trouble-free TT-ing

Also for reference the Gen2 TT has it's MAP sensor within the BBoD
The Gen3 has it next to the throttle body.
Neither of them have a PE solenoid like you'd find in a proper turbo setup as the TT system is able to take Atmospheric readings due to the operation of other solenoids.

#15 Sladdo

Sladdo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 08 April 2016 - 06:28 PM

Just cleaned out that gold coloured solenoid. Car now runs worse lol. Its now at idle making some funky noises at that little diaphragm thing under the intercooler is just openning & shutting itself.....

#16 Sladdo

Sladdo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 08 April 2016 - 06:35 PM

& the wastegate gate for the secondary turbo is just openning & shutting itself at idle too fml
Sorry the golden solenoid is making the funky noises haha

#17 Sladdo

Sladdo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 08 April 2016 - 07:39 PM

& now its come good. I may beed to replace the solenoid haha

#18 Benzene

Benzene

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 August 2019 - 03:23 PM

Hi Guys, I'm new to the Subaru product. It appears that I have purchased Sladdo's Liberty ( in fact I'm sure of it! ) It still has fault code 45 appearing on the dash & makes little to no boost. 

I've seen some of the links .. Can anyone suggest a way to remove the dross from the PESV system (  my intended use is khannacross / track days ) no street use at all, I am happy to have an 'all or nothing" set up. Give me POWER!

Thanx in advance!!

#19 Beckers

Beckers

OMAR Cubt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts
  • Interests:Docking and eating dry meat, Living lyf in the TT VOD

Posted 27 August 2019 - 11:11 PM

Hi Guys, I'm new to the Subaru product. It appears that I have purchased Sladdo's Liberty ( in fact I'm sure of it! ) It still has fault code 45 appearing on the dash & makes little to no boost. 

I've seen some of the links .. Can anyone suggest a way to remove the dross from the PESV system (  my intended use is khannacross / track days ) no street use at all, I am happy to have an 'all or nothing" set up. Give me POWER!

Thanx in advance!!

Maybe converting to a single turbo might be better for a competition type car.

#20 Benzene

Benzene

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 03:33 PM

The Gen2 Code 45 relates to the Pressure Duty Solenoid
not the "Pressure Exchange" Solenoid that you'd see paired with a MAP sensor on a single turbo.

Within the BBoD you will see the bigger of the solenoids as pictured, the gold one.
that is your Pressure Duty Solenoid.
it is (poorly) responsible for pre-spool of the secondary turbo. by operating on the Positive Pressure (top) Port of the ECV

it's also fed from a vac line under the TMIC which gunks up with oil.

This is one part of the system that you can bypass easily, and manually adjust the ECV for trouble-free TT-ing

Also for reference the Gen2 TT has it's MAP sensor within the BBoD
The Gen3 has it next to the throttle body.
Neither of them have a PE solenoid like you'd find in a proper turbo setup as the TT system is able to take Atmospheric readings due to the operation of other solenoids.

Hey Robbks, If you are still on this forum, can you tell me how to bypass this part of the system? I'd love to have this issue sorted!! Thanx in advance!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users