Are 2003 Impreza struts the same as any other years

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 JDM_FOZZY

JDM_FOZZY

• Members
  • Pip
  • 78 posts
  • Interests:Love JDM styling and also love 4wds.

Posted 09 May 2016 - 01:45 PM

Can anyone tell me if 2003 Impreza rear strut assemblies are the same as 2007 or any other year for that matter? Having trouble finding ones from a specific year and need one asap as I just put a full set from a 2003 Impreza in my 1999 GT Forester but the rear left seems to be really bouncy and scrubs everytime I turn sharp. Almost got defected because it scraped past a cop. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

#2 Niko

Niko

Member's Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,511 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 01:54 PM

Hey mate, sometimes the weight of the Forester is too much for the Impreza springs, at least I know that's case with 08+ Foresters with 08+ WRX springs.

You may just need to upgrade your rear springs.

However I'll leave it to some of the guys with older Foz's to answer more in depth.

#3 JDM_FOZZY

JDM_FOZZY

• Members
  • Pip
  • 78 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 01:59 PM

The rear right is fine. Even when I'm on a mates property rallying in the dirt it doesn't scrub at all. It's just the rear left. Its been doing it since I put it in so I'm guessing it was already stuffed when I bought it.

#4 andrew_k

andrew_k

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 03:11 PM

Your rear strut is stuffed. What you have is a GDA strut - 01 to 03 inclusive. 04 onwards is different. With the STi items of the same era you can use the 04-07 STi innards to revalve the 02/03 STi struts. I don't think this is the case with the Wrx items, but I have a full set of 03 Wrx wagon struts at home and will have a look tonight.

#5 JDM_FOZZY

JDM_FOZZY

• Members
  • Pip
  • 78 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 08:13 PM

I have just normal RX suspension at the moment and the 2007 one that I am looking at is from an RX aswell. I know the mounts are the same just worried that they will be a different stiffness or sit a bit higher/lower than the rest.

#6 andrew_k

andrew_k

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 08:26 AM

07 will likely be slightly stiffer than 03, as GDB were heavier than GDA. So long as you swap both rears you'll be OK. Are you certain the RX hubs in 07 aren't the same as the 07 Wrx hubs? If they are, your hubs won't have bolt holes in the right places. Requires very dodgy mod to make fit.

Also GD sedan has different hub perch than same year's wagon. Sedan struts push the hub out 10mm further each side to account for the wider track of the sedan. On a narrower track subi (GC, GF, SF, GG), this results in positive camber. Same for all the GD STi gear. If you can find wagon struts for the rear, do it.

#7 jonesyGT

jonesyGT

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 May 2016 - 10:48 AM

Can anyone tell me if 2003 Impreza rear strut assemblies are the same as 2007 or any other year for that matter? Having trouble finding ones from a specific year and need one asap as I just put a full set from a 2003 Impreza in my 1999 GT Forester but the rear left seems to be really bouncy and scrubs everytime I turn sharp. Almost got defected because it scraped past a cop. 
Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Wouldn't normally send you off site, however, on ozfoz, there is a full Forester GT suspension guide. It has definitive answers to what your after. Take a read that & you will know what fits & what won't.

http://ozfoz.com/for...c.php?f=22&t=20

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users