• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts
  • Interests:Subarus, 4wd'n Subarus, travelling Subarus, Tinkering... I could go on!

Posted 20 May 2016 - 01:36 AM

G'day all,

I'm after some info on repairing the clear coat paint that our Subarus seem to love so much.

My L series is peeling in places and while on the blue it doesn't look too bad on my mate's Gen III RX it looks terrible. Is it possible to rub these areas back gently and reapply a clear coat and have it look "respectable" - stopping further peeling?

I'm not up for a respray yet, I doubt my mate's up for one either - too much coin involved for my liking atm.

Regards

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
https://www.imageshack.us/i/po1BKrxbj
1BKrxb.jpg
El Freddo's Pics    -    El_Freddo's youtube

#2 Liberty

Liberty

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,869 posts
  • Interests:tl;dr

Posted 20 May 2016 - 06:21 AM

I've got some peeling (about the size of a 10 cent coin) on my passenger side quarter panel too so it would be good to get it sorted. I have a feeling the best option to remove it completely would be respraying that panel though.

I have been told that a very thin coat of clear nail polish can be a temporary fix. Fact or fiction?

Wanting to buy/looking for: single genuine STi rim, genuine STi front lip, Corazon or Zero/Sports grille and another OEM grille

Can you hook a brother up? Please contact me now. I have cash ready.

~

3fxl2Ca.jpg

~

2006 Liberty MY06 3.0R SpecB wagon

#3 JDWhiteWRX

JDWhiteWRX

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 09:11 PM

This would involve blending which is difficult even for a professional painter but can be done.

Follow me on Insta: @brzdiy

#4 Jimbo

Jimbo

Livin' the Legacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 09:35 PM

Interested to also know as my roof is well, forked.

When the car is wet, you can't even tell so the colour underneath is fine. There must be a way!

I've heard of Restore FX... anyone?

'04 Liberty GT Premium "The Sprog Chariot"

#5 Bumpty

Bumpty

My wob dreams are now wet dreams

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,489 posts
  • Interests:Drinking wine with wob by the legacy side

Posted 20 May 2016 - 10:34 PM

Glad wrap could work as a temporary solution?

#6 terencehng

terencehng

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 01:55 AM

Restorfx is only for surfaces with fading and oxidation in the clear. Not really suitable for when the clear has already peeled, but will prevent further peeling. At that stage, you would need a respray.

#7 Jimbo

Jimbo

Livin' the Legacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 08:55 AM

Mine isnt peeling, just faded out.

'04 Liberty GT Premium "The Sprog Chariot"

#8 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts
  • Interests:Subarus, 4wd'n Subarus, travelling Subarus, Tinkering... I could go on!

Posted 21 May 2016 - 04:52 PM

Glad wrap could work as a temporary solution?

Maybe in the world according to Bumpty... That won't cut it in my book!

When it's said you need a respray - is this just the clear coat with a cut back on the colour coat? And can it be done by the panel or will that one panel standout from the rest?

Cheers

Bennie
1BKrxb.jpg

#9 Guest_KONG_*

Guest_KONG_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2016 - 04:43 AM

It's pretty much impossible to remove just the clear coat leaving the base coat alone.

I really don't think there's any other way around it but to respray the lot.  

You can blend in new & old paint on the pillars etc with a melting agent but that's not something I'd feel comfortable trying as a back yard novice.

#10 Niko

Niko

Member's Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,511 posts

Posted 22 May 2016 - 08:49 AM

Plasti dip the whole car.

#11 XTFoz

XTFoz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 01:11 PM

prevention is easy guy's proper washing techniques, with regular wax coating will save your cars from the ugliness of bad paint, if the suns gonna smash its UV rays on anything its the wax first not your clear coat!!!

#12 TSG

TSG

Cured

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 01:50 PM

Wax is great and all. But eventually the clearcoat just gives up. Mine is fading out (oxidising?) on my roof with the white cancer under the clear layer. Its not peeling away. I would wax it once a month, then I noticed the scoop fading early last year. Summer came around, and now the roof is following. No matter how much wax you apply, its not going to stop UV damage.

Severely butthurt about mine, I take a lot of care. Unless its garaged when you're at work and only driven outside between destinations. You're screwed eventually. The car is 14 years old now.

#13 aaryn

aaryn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 11:08 PM

As a panel beater by trade I can tell u we don't recommend paint to whole panel just for fun or to make more money; it's because as said above it is I'm possible to sand the clear coat and no touch the base coat and if u were to just clear over the top it would a) look like shit because u would see the ring where the it has already lifted and B) continue to peel in the end anyway.. So in turn the only way to fix it properly is to fully sand back and primer the whole panel then paint

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#14 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 29 May 2016 - 01:45 PM

Cheers guys.

It's good to know what we're up for now. Mine's the offroader in my sig pic so I'm not really that fussed about it. My mates one looks terrible (no pics as he now live in Newcastle).

Any recommended products with a total respray? I'm a noob when it comes to paint talk!

Cheers

Bennie
1BKrxb.jpg

#15 XTFoz

XTFoz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 01 June 2016 - 10:04 AM

Wax is great and all. But eventually the clearcoat just gives up. Mine is fading out (oxidising?) on my roof with the white cancer under the clear layer. Its not peeling away. I would wax it once a month, then I noticed the scoop fading early last year. Summer came around, and now the roof is following. No matter how much wax you apply, its not going to stop UV damage.

Severely butthurt about mine, I take a lot of care. Unless its garaged when you're at work and only driven outside between destinations. You're screwed eventually. The car is 14 years old now.

age certainly can be an issue, but i recon if it was my car the paint would still be perfect, there's high quality products, there's buffing every couple of years to give back the clear coats protective properties, clay baring which is required every couple of months if your car is exposed to the elements, its using quality soaps, its proper drying techniques, its parking the car under covers at night or over the weekend.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users