19 replies to this topic

#1 CodeBurn3r

CodeBurn3r

Resident Mexican

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 01:21 PM

So SubyClub is where the party is at so i thought i will just post my DIY over here for all to read.

Tools Required:
3x Philips Head (1 Stubby, 1 Small, 1 Standard)
Tissues (or some microfiber clots you will part with)
Sharpie in your choice of color
Nail polish remover
Grit 120 Sandpaper

Firstly you need to take the cluster out of the dash.
No photo's or instructions here, there are DIY's here about it already but still its only 4 screws for the cluster surround and 4 holding the cluster itself.

Once the cluster is out start stripping it down, fairly strait forward.
1) unscrew the 2 metal brackets from the top.

2) unclip the front clear plastic cover from the cluster.

3) remove the black cover that has all the covers for warning lights.

4) unscrew all gauges (Be VERY CAREFUL not to move or knock the needles) the gauges them self unscrew from the rear of the cluster (3 Silver screws for the fuel and temp, 4 and 5 screws for the tacho and speedo respectively)

DO NOT remove the black screws from front of the gauges!

Also when the gauges are removed be careful not to drop the metal cup on the back (it is no longer held on by screws so you need to hold it in place whenever you handle the gauge

in the end you will have the following parts laid out on the table.
Posted Image

Once you have all the gauges removed its time to start remove the coating on the back of the dials.

there is no need to remove the backing from the whole dial, just where the numbers and lines are.

Posted Image
The 3 layers are:
The black dampening layer (keeps light distribution even)
White layer
Green layer that gives the gauge a green tint

Start by sanding lightly over the back as below.
Posted Image

you don't need to sand past the first layer just enough to put some light scratches in it so the nail polish removed can penetrate the first layer.(like the right hand side of the above image)

When i first started i sanded the dial back all the way and it took way too long, that's when i tried nail polish removed and found it just lifts it like paint stripper

Now take one folded tissue, soak it liberally with nail polish remover and hold it against one of the sanded parts, you will find after about 30 seconds it starts to bubble off and you can simply just wipe it off.

you need to have a few tissues as using the same one will end up smearing the green coating over the gauge.

I did it in a 3 stage process.
1) soak a section with one tissue
2) wipe it away with another
3) go over with a clean tissue socked in nail polish removed to remove any remnants of the green film.

Be careful not to get nail polish remover on the front of the dial, i'm not sure if it will peel it or not but better safe than sorry
when you finish the gauge hold it up to the light and make sure all numbers and symbols have been accounted for ( i ended up leaving half the temp symbol by accident)

Now comes the fun bit, start colouring the back of the dial in the color you like.
I recommend testing all colours on the tacho first as it is the easiest to work with and clean.
Posted Image
Take note of the green and purple you do NOT want it to be so uneven.

try get the thickest marker you can ( i was using only a medium tip and it took some time to get it even)
the trick is to work in one uniform direction and do not go over the same point twice.

once you have done the whole gauge start again and go over what you just did in the same fashion.
This gives a more intense but still even colour.

The other thing you need to do and this is probably more important than coloring the back of the dials, is to remove the rubber caps (condoms) from each of the globes in the cluster and also color them your desired color.
I tried finding colored caps to go over the globes but i just couldn't find the right size.

I ended up just coloring in each glove with the sharpie, the only issue is it doesn't like to stick to glass very well so i found myself going around the globe stripe by stripe blowing on the globe as soon as i had colored it else the color would bead and leave gaps.

To keep the light as even as possible color the top of each globe with black marker, only about 1/2cm on the larger globes and 1/4 on the smaller ones
here is my first test, the colors turned out quite different to what i expected from them.
Posted Image
Posted Image
once you have got the color you like finish all the gauges and put it all back together.

Make sure the silvers screws are tight on all gauges as that is what conducts to signal for each to work, i thought i buggered my temp sensor but i just had one screw a bit lose.

Test the gauges by resting it in place without the surround before screwing it all back in as it is a pain to remove the cluster later if something is not working (in my case the temp gauge) so let the car warm up to test everything.

Final Result
Posted Image
Posted Image
ams: "Can't live with them, can't throw rocks at them."

#2 provar

provar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 05:19 PM

nice DIY, i did this myself after reading it on ozlib, had a lot of trouble getting the colour even tho, ended up taking the cluster out 3 times. may have been to do with the texta i was using tho

#3 CodeBurn3r

CodeBurn3r

Resident Mexican

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 06:33 PM

nice DIY, i did this myself after reading it on ozlib, had a lot of trouble getting the colour even tho, ended up taking the cluster out 3 times. may have been to do with the texta i was using tho

yeah it took a bit to get even for me also, but if you do it at night and hold it upto a lamp you get a decent idea of how it will look instead of putting it into the car and having to pull it out again, also i might add when i first did mine it was a almost red, now its a nice orange.. exactly what i wanted.

so best to go a shade darker than you want cause with the heat of the globes it fades the color away slightly.

#4 CRUISN

CRUISN

Doin it my way.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,970 posts
  • Interests:Family, Surfing, Cars.

Posted 13 June 2009 - 09:54 PM

Looks pretty good, but does the rest of the illumination in the centre console match or is it still green? IMO it only really works well if you do the lot.

OEM+

#5 CodeBurn3r

CodeBurn3r

Resident Mexican

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 07:27 AM

Looks pretty good, but does the rest of the illumination in the centre console match or is it still green?

IMO it only really works well if you do the lot.

im getting around to it, my head unit matches
the only thing you cant really change is the climate control lighting, from what i have heard is you cant even open the bloody thing, so if one comes in at work thats stuffed ill take it home and rip it open just to see what i can do.

#6 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 10:06 AM

the only thing you cant really change is the climate control lighting, from what i have heard is you cant even open the bloody thing, so if one comes in at work thats stuffed ill take it home and rip it open just to see what i can do.

yes you can.

you're not trying hard enough!

#7 Blaeven

Blaeven

The Renowned

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 02:21 PM

awesome DIY... thanks...

i just did mine...

for those wondering what leaving them uncoloured with the stock globes (i'll be going for a white look with LED globes later)

Posted Image

2mmwi1w.jpg

#8 CodeBurn3r

CodeBurn3r

Resident Mexican

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 02:43 PM

awesome DIY... thanks...

i just did mine...

for those wondering what leaving them uncoloured with the stock globes (i'll be going for a white look with LED globes later)

looks good, i was going to try LED's but they are more directional than globes and as such you have issues with uneven lighting.

you can get around this by cutting down or snapping off the white flaps from the rear housing (those that have removed theirs know what i mean) and grinding the tips of the LED's

would be keen to see what it looks like in the end.. also WHY ARE YOUR NEEDLES WHITE? Series1 difference?

#9 Morgan

Morgan

...jus waitin' 4 a m8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,485 posts
  • Interests:Taking a poo

Posted 14 June 2009 - 06:53 PM

GX = white needles. RX has the reddy coloured ones Tristan, did u finish that sentence?!!

IM47Gcv.jpg

#10 CRUISN

CRUISN

Doin it my way.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,970 posts
  • Interests:Family, Surfing, Cars.

Posted 14 June 2009 - 08:48 PM

As Alex mentioned its eeeaaasy to change the globes and therfore the color in the climate unit (i just did all my globes) They have the little green condoms on them, so just get some red ones or red permanent texta does the trick straight on the globe as you know. You then need to change/remove the green condom on the ciggy lighter also. ;)

OEM+

#11 Shire Boy

Shire Boy

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 268 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Motorbikes, Adrenaline rushes :D

Posted 19 September 2011 - 11:09 AM

Just did this works mad didn't make it any colour just going to buy white LEDs off eBay

#12 R-Y

R-Y

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 987 posts
  • Interests:Rugby league, surfing, cars, music (Rise Against)

Posted 19 September 2011 - 10:35 PM

Been keen to do this for a while. If anyone knows what LEDs are needed to do a genII GX cluster and climate unit, please let me know.

If no one knows I'll just pull the green domy's off and do it that way.

#13 Shire Boy

Shire Boy

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 08:56 AM

t10 im pretty sure? Correct me if im wrong.

On eBay looks like there are some good ones that dont shine directly but evenly for the dash light purpose

#14 Shire Boy

Shire Boy

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 02:13 PM

No colour just got rid of the green tint

Posted Image

#15 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 11:05 PM

Hotspots.

That's why I left mine as is.

#16 SAV84C

SAV84C

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,480 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 11:24 PM

Get SMD LEDs to minimize hotspots

#17 Shire Boy

Shire Boy

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 11:16 AM

Yeh i have ordered some SMD Leds just white ones

#18 Sam

Sam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 11:25 AM

No colour just got rid of the green tint

Posted Image

That's actually looks good.! I can't see very good on my phone but it doesn't look like there are any hotspots?
I think I will try to get the red off and have a go with white!

[03.SUBY]

#19 Shire Boy

Shire Boy

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 09:59 PM

That's actually looks good.! I can't see very good on my phone but it doesn't look like there are any hotspots?
I think I will try to get the red off and have a go with white!

Yeh does look alright. I'm going to go over it again just make sure I got all spots and I've got the white SMD LEDs on the way. Will post s pic when they are in.

#20 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 10:12 PM

I would have thought that using SMD's would increase the likelihood of hotspots.

Horses. Courses.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users