• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 andrew_k

andrew_k

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 03:20 PM

Yesterday a mate did the required firewall welding to perfectly fit a GD heater/aircon box in my sf foz. Now I have some bare steel to deal with. Also, there are some really shallow rust spots under battery, washer bottle, and where crossmember contacts chassis. 

I'm thinking of sanding all that back and foam-brushing on coats of thinned satin black killrust. 

1) anyone done similar?

2) anyone painted a suby engine bay without stripping front guards etc?

3) …that KBS and POR15 shit is hilarious $$$ for my budget

3b) wtfbbq11ty?

#2 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts
  • Interests:Subarus, 4wd'n Subarus, travelling Subarus, Tinkering... I could go on!

Posted 01 July 2016 - 09:38 AM

With my offroader in the sig pic I've done this - all up the firewall, strut towers etc as needed. If you're after pretty this is not the way to do it.

If you're after sealing rust for a proper paint job another day this is an easy way to go.

My method is wire wheel the effected area, rust buster, wire wheel once dry, red oxide coat or two (thinned a little) then a coat or two of the colour/paint you want, in my case a mix of gloss and matte black kill rust was used to dull the shine of the straight gloss black.

Works a treat.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
https://www.imageshack.us/i/po1BKrxbj
1BKrxb.jpg
El Freddo's Pics    -    El_Freddo's youtube

#3 andrew_k

andrew_k

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 09:49 AM

Cheers mate :)

This is underway.

Here's what it looks like after 2 thin coats and no wet sanding

6.jpg

I'm thinning satin black enamel with turps and penetrol, and rubbed down the prepped surface with penetrol before first coat. I'm bloody terrible with paint in any context, and so far I'm happy with the utilitarian quality of the finish. Like you say, this is about a good protective coat, not about making anything pretty.

#4 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 09:56 AM

looks good - I mean really, why does the engine bay need to look shiny if its not a show car ?  It'll just be splattered in washer fluid, mud, spilt coolant and covered in dust anyway.

#5 andrew_k

andrew_k

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 09:58 AM

Exactly. OEM paint was shithouse and patchy. Seem sealant looked terrible and had lightened the paint. Surface rust under "chassis rails"  and battery tray was the final stray.

Only thing I made sure of was testing the paint with brake fluid, and it holds up fine in a "splash some drops then wipe off a few minutes later" scenario.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users