• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 99LegacyB4

99LegacyB4

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 05:43 AM

hello everyone this is my first post. i picked up a 99 legacy b4 a few weeks back with the 2.0 twin turbo engine and an automatic transmission and i love this car. It is a fresh JDM import and it has 82,000 km on it. best part is i only payed 5500 canadian dollars for it.

so where to begin, so many questions haha. The biggest one is about finding parts. factory replacement parts and aftermarket goodies. is anyone able to point me to a website that sells parts for my car? must be in english, my japanese isnt so great haha.

second question is about brakes. The brake rotors/disks get really hot! i know if your braking alot they get hot but i think my calipers might be messed up and causing the pads to drag even when the brake peddle is not applied. so any info i can get on the brakes would be greatly appreciated! This is the only issue ive noticed with the car in the 3000km ive driven it so i would like to get it fixed up asap.

My next question im assuming is very common and a search would most likely help me out but here i go anyways. boost gauge and blow off valve? need i say more? haha. i feel like the car should have both but it doesnt...

last question i promise ( for now anyways) is about fuel. the little bit i looked through this site before joining showed most members being from the UK or Australia so maybe you cant help but anyways. i live in canada and the best fuel that is readily available is 94 octane. thats what we call premium fuel. now i know from the search i did that im supposed to use 100 ron fuel? im assuming "ron" is the UK equivalent to canada/usa "octane"? so would using 94 octane or 94 ron fuel hurt my car? there is a few places on the west coast of canada that sell 100 octane fuel but there a 6 hour drive away so that doesnt help me at all. The local auto parts store sells little bottles of "octane" booster that is supposed to raise the octane rating 6 points which would make our premium fuel 100 octane. should i be adding this to every tank of fuel? is 94 octane fine? i really dont want to hurt the engine at all because it runs mint right now.

#2 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 07:16 AM

The biggest one is about finding parts. factory replacement parts and aftermarket goodies. is anyone able to point me to a website that sells parts for my car? must be in english, my japanese isnt so great haha

partsouq is your friend

second question is about brakes. The brake rotors/disks get really hot! i know if your braking alot they get hot but i think my calipers might be messed up and causing the pads to drag even when the brake peddle is not applied. so any info i can get on the brakes would be greatly appreciated!

Binding calipers; probably the slides sticking. You can pull the two sides of the caliper apart on the car (without draining brake fluid) and clean them up. Proper solution is to take the calipers off and do a rebuild (ne wseals etc).

My next question im assuming is very common and a search would most likely help me out but here i go anyways. boost gauge and blow off valve? need i say more? haha. i feel like the car should have both but it doesnt...

Boost gauge is good -- for diagnosis if nothing else.

They have a bypass valve - blows off back into intake manifold (hence no choo choo noises). You can change this if you like, their are models available that bolt straight up.

last question i promise ( for now anyways) is about fuel. the little bit i looked through this site before joining showed most members being from the UK or Australia so maybe you cant help but anyways. i live in canada and the best fuel that is readily available is 94 octane. thats what we call premium fuel. now i know from the search i did that im supposed to use 100 ron fuel? im assuming "ron" is the UK equivalent to canada/usa "octane"? so would using 94 octane or 94 ron fuel hurt my car? there is a few places on the west coast of canada that sell 100 octane fuel but there a 6 hour drive away so that doesnt help me at all. The local auto parts store sells little bottles of "octane" booster that is supposed to raise the octane rating 6 points which would make our premium fuel 100 octane. should i be adding this to every tank of fuel? is 94 octane fine? i really dont want to hurt the engine at all because it runs mint right now.

Your 94 octane (same as US octane) is actually something like 98 or 100 in UK and Aus - so you'll be fine. See https://en.wikipedia...i/Octane_rating

#3 99LegacyB4

99LegacyB4

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 12:00 PM

duncanm thanks man i really appreciate the info!

Do you happen to know the size of the stock exhaust on the axle back part? i have a new flowmaster muffler in the garage thats about the right size but its a 2.5 and the b4 looks like its 2 1/4.

#4 TSG

TSG

Cured

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 02:37 PM

I think its 2.5 then drops to 2 1/4 for a couple of inches before the flange on the muffler. 

#5 99LegacyB4

99LegacyB4

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 02:41 PM

another question. when the car is parked if i jam the accelerator or manually pull the throttle lever the little black square electric thing on the intake manifold where the air cooler is plumbed in makes 3-5 ticking noises really quickly then the engine revs up. takes about half a second to make the noise. I have owned alot of vehicles with cable throttle bodys but never heard it tick like this before reving up.

#6 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 03:11 PM

the little black square electric thing on the intake manifold where the air cooler is plumbed in makes 3-5 ticking noises really quickly then the engine revs up.

that's the IACV.

It'll regulate air intake at idle to maintain idle speed.  Should go shut when throttle is opened.

Can't say I've ever really listened to it do its thing  - maybe yours is a bit sticky?

The engine should respond instantly to the throttle being opened -- IACV should play no part in that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users