• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 st87

st87

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 05:13 PM

Hi guys, we're a few months into mum's new liberty. Finally got around to testing the eyesight system. To our disappointment, our tests failed. I used a long pvc pipe to dangle a large piece of cloth. We did a full frontal and an overlap test. With the full frontal, the car beeps and registers an obstruction, but does not apply any braking. The car just zooms right through the cloth. On the overlap test, the car zooms straight past without even beeping. Has anyone actually done a practical test and come out with some happier results? Eyesight is sort of the only reason that I bought the car for mum...

Thanks for your insight!

ST

#2 CRUISN

CRUISN

Doin it my way.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,970 posts
  • Interests:Family, Surfing, Cars.

Posted 10 July 2016 - 05:20 PM

All these fancy new gadgets are designed to help shit drivers with no f-ing idea of whats going on around them. 

Do a few driver training courses, defensive, advanced and track and then do some track days. Invaluable skills gained in real life.

OEM+

#3 zahmad

zahmad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 05:24 PM

It's not supposed to apply brakes to a piece of PVC or cloth... It's designed to respond to a vehicle, specially because it's a camer based system....

#4 Niko

Niko

Member's Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,511 posts

Posted 10 July 2016 - 05:37 PM

http://www.subaru.co...ight-technology

As Mark and Zahmad say, it's an emergency system, I wouldn't 'test' it, just like I don't test my airbags.

#5 RX25SE

RX25SE

...............Car nerd................ now a H6 pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts
  • Interests:Cars with chrome bumpers!

Posted 10 July 2016 - 10:04 PM

All these fancy new gadgets are designed to help shit drivers with no f-ing idea of whats going on around them. 

Do a few driver training courses, defensive, advanced and track and then do some track days. Invaluable skills gained in real life.

I have to agree Mark; as good as these systems are, they seem to take the skill out of driving.

It's not supposed to apply brakes to a piece of PVC or cloth... It's designed to respond to a vehicle, specially because it's a camer based system....

If it's anything like other camera based systems (like GM), it's smart enough to identify a car by size and shape plus it looks at light intensity/colour (brake lights).

Often these systems will not stop you before you hit, you just don't hit as hard.

If I told you I was a compulsive liar, would you believe me?

#6 GNGBNG

GNGBNG

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 496 posts

Posted 28 July 2016 - 02:22 PM

Being a dual camera set up, it can recognise the difference between a PVC pipe with a rag hanging of it and a car.

It is a clever system in regards to being able to distinguish between different objects, but it is only an assistance system for the driver, and its not always perfect.

I would much rather have a Subaru with Eyesight following me in heavy traffic. As you all know, its the other driver you have to careful of, if the system stops them from running up my ass, great.

The best feature of the "eyesight" is the adaptive cruise control , the other stuff is for shart drivers.

On another note, it will also make insurance cheaper for these sorts of cars.

#7 Bumpty

Bumpty

My wob dreams are now wet dreams

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,489 posts
  • Interests:Drinking wine with wob by the legacy side

Posted 28 July 2016 - 03:01 PM

I cannot see what the problem is.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users