Photo

Yay or nay on aftermarket CV shafts/recommendations?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 tamastar

tamastar

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 08:44 PM

Looking for real life experiences with aftermarket CV shafts. Have seen mixed reviews online but only on American forums so it's hard to know what to expect with different retailers/outlets here in Aus. Need to replace passenger side front drive shaft on an 05 Forester XT

#2 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,456 posts
  • Interests:Docking

Posted 01 August 2016 - 09:44 PM

Been using 2 aftermarket shafts for over a yeah now. Still going strong

tIeW8DE.png

#3 CRUISN

CRUISN

Doin it my way.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,970 posts
  • Interests:Family, Surfing, Cars.

Posted 02 August 2016 - 06:39 AM

I've used them on a number of occasions. No issues.

OEM+

#4 andrew_k

andrew_k

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 06:47 AM

I pulled an aftermarket front shaft off an 03 Wrx. It used the incorrect 5 ball ball and race inner end (from a rear shaft) instead of the more flexible 3 ball that fronts use. The wheel bearing and gearbox seal on that side were ruined. I bought a couple of oem shafts and regreased them rather than roll that dice again. There are no shortage of people with good experiences with eBay shafts, I have no idea where the shit one I had was sourced from.

#5 tamastar

tamastar

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 08:34 AM

Been using 2 aftermarket shafts for over a yeah now. Still going strong

I've used them on a number of occasions. No issues.

Sweet, thanks guys! Where did you source them? eBay? Any particular sellers you could recommend?

I pulled an aftermarket front shaft off an 03 Wrx. It used the incorrect 5 ball ball and race inner end (from a rear shaft) instead of the more flexible 3 ball that fronts use. The wheel bearing and gearbox seal on that side were ruined. I bought a couple of oem shafts and regreased them rather than roll that dice again. There are no shortage of people with good experiences with eBay shafts, I have no idea where the shit one I had was sourced from.

Okay thanks Andrew! There's a place in Brisbane that rebuilds OEM shafts that I will give a call as well I think

#6 Hakira

Hakira

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 09:23 AM

Sweet, thanks guys! Where did you source them? eBay? Any particular sellers you could recommend?

Okay thanks Andrew! There's a place in Brisbane that rebuilds OEM shafts that I will give a call as well I think

I wouldn't bother with a rebuild if you can find them second hand man, they're usually around the same price.

You can probably find ones off of a newer model or a wrx to fit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users