1 reply to this topic

#1 manic

manic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 06:10 PM

Hi guys.

I need some help. i just bought my first suby last week (2000 liberty heritage 2.5) and the plan is to get the poor thing back on the road. but its leaking. the mechanic has told me that its leaking from the head gasket, power steering rack and transmission.

ok firstly the head. i cannot locate a single leak coming from the head. its clean and the engine didnt use any oil on the trip home with it. (around 80km) also there was no water in the oil or vice versa. so im going to call that one bust.

power steering. ok so it looked like it used a small amount of fluid on the trip and it looks horrible. so i am replacing it. ordered a new one and just have to go get it. easy fix.

now the big one. transmission leak. the mechanic told me that its leaking from some pipes but i am dubious as i think he is just after some $$. the fluid is most defiantly leaking from it as it dropped off the dipstick on the trip home. from what i can see there are 2 lines that go to the cooler and they dont appear to be leaking. the underside of the car there is evidence all over the cross member and it drips perfectly on the exhaust causing it to smoke quite nicely. i have tried to clean it up but i still cannot seem to locate the leak. problem is at the moment i have the intake off the car to make access easier so i cannot run the car.

so my question is.... is there someone in melbourne that knows the motor fairly well that could come and help me. i live in point cook. im on i tight budget and cannot just pay the mechanic to fix the issues. i can however pay for your time.

if someone can help please let me know. im desperate.

Cheers, Manic.

#2 Reevesy

Reevesy

Adriano

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 01:04 PM

Being a Gen 3 2.5 I wouldn't be surprised if it did have a HG leak.

Check the rear of the passenger side head usually more a very slow weep rather than a leak. Not a major issue until it gets worse

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users