• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Calvan

Calvan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 11:58 PM

Hey I'm new to Subaru's and need help with my car I intend to swap my 1.8 fwd auto 96 impreza engine as head gasket has gone preferably for a reliable Subaru engine with minimal effort but I have absolutely no idea what to do with boxer engine's and don't know what I can put in my car and also don't have to much money to spend on it can somebody possibly run me through what engines i can use and what I will need and how to do the swap I also intend on swapping it to Manuel but that will probably need to wait thanks ....so basically everything

#2 Calvan

Calvan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 November 2016 - 12:03 AM

I forgot to mention I can't have turbo I'm on my L's soon ps

#3 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 04 November 2016 - 05:55 AM

Step 1 -- use some more punctuation.

Step 2 -- absolute cheapest solution for you is to find a 1.8 engine from the same model and swap it in. Anything different will be levels of more complicated.

#4 TSG

TSG

Cured

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 04 November 2016 - 09:41 AM

You would be better off buying another Manual AWD 2ltr Impreza GX or Liberty. I'm all for bringing old cars back from the dead. But its a 1.8ltr FWD and you're wanting to swap the gearbox too. Not worth the time or effort for that particular car. Unless it has some sentimental value.

#5 Jimbo

Jimbo

Livin' the Legacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 04 November 2016 - 06:00 PM

^

You could probably replace the car for the same cost as getting the HG's done. If you were keen enough, you could at least remove the engine yourself and take it to a mechanic to save some labor.

Or, get a mate to help you on a weekend, whip it out and follow the FSM and DIY. It'd only cost you some time and a few $100 in parts.

'04 Liberty GT Premium "The Sprog Chariot"

#6 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts
  • Interests:Subarus, 4wd'n Subarus, travelling Subarus, Tinkering... I could go on!

Posted 04 November 2016 - 06:01 PM

Learn to swap head gaskets would be the cheapest financial solution but the highest learning effort.

Is the car already registered? If not probably best to move on to a model with a larger engine. If you're on your Ls you'll have time up your sleeve to save some money towards a better car.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
https://www.imageshack.us/i/po1BKrxbj
1BKrxb.jpg
El Freddo's Pics    -    El_Freddo's youtube

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users