#1 Jimbo

Jimbo

Livin' the Legacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 13 November 2016 - 08:04 PM

Evening lads,

I have a few questions regarding the pre-facelift Gen4 GT MY04-06.

Looking for a bit of owner feedback and some pro's/con's.

Most of you would know I've had a 2007 GT sedan which was great, but subsequently sold on the impulse of wanting an XR5. Also the MY07+ had the EJ255 and back to single scroll.

Now my questions relate to engine/transmission combos.

I understand obviously the 2.0 moves to a twin scroll turbo setup. According to some research I have done, both MT and AT have the same power outputs. One has the EJ20X and the other the EJ20Y, which probably amounts to the same sort of differences to EJ206/208 (fork all). I'm also under the impression one gets the VF38 and the other some twin scroll variant of the TD04. I'm not sure which comes with what, but I have heard of one of the particular turbos is prone to faliure, for whatever reason.

I'm leaning heavily on the GT, even though the H6 is pretty on par performance wise. I'm happily familiar with major service tickets on the EJ which helps keep costs down.

A big plus is ISOFIX compared to just the normal roof mounted restraints in my GTB.

I have driven a pre-facelift 3.0R sedan in AT for a couple of weeks a few years ago and the AT is pretty solid. Transmission wise, I would always prefer a 6 slotter but they seem to be particularly rare in Gen4 GT's, especially wagons. The ones that are MT seem to ask Disney dollars anyway.

I have also heard the seats in the MY04-06 Gen4 GT are more comfortable and supportive than the later MY07+ seats. I forking hate leather seats and found the ones in my sedan pretty flat and unsupportive.

I have noticed a few MY04-06's with a cloth style interior (similar to Gen3 GTB) which would be perfect, but I have never seen it teamed up with a MT.

Also, lastly, are there any revisions or changes between MY04 to MY06? Obviously not big things but anything minor to look out for that's better in the next MY?

Unfortunately, stretching the budget to a facelift might be out of the question at the moment. If I could sell the Gen3 for $7000ish (doubtful) I would only need to chip in a few Gorillas for a MY04-06.

Chime in peeps and tell me your experiences.

'04 Liberty GT Premium "The Sprog Chariot"

#2 Morgan

Morgan

...jus waitin' 4 a m8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,485 posts
  • Interests:Taking a poo

Posted 13 November 2016 - 08:26 PM

Can confirm ISOFIX is a must! 

AFAIK, the 6 slotter is a spec B only thing. Standard GTs have the 5sp and considering the pre-facelift didn't have a GT spec B, 5 cogs is your only option. 

Not sure exactly when the 5sp AT came into effect but the PFL auto might have still been the 4sp? 

I wouldn't rule out the H6. Manuals are all 6sp, autos are all 5sp, McIntosh stereo, etc. 

IM47Gcv.jpg

#3 Jimbo

Jimbo

Livin' the Legacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 13 November 2016 - 08:39 PM

Ah that's right. MY04-06 GT is 5sp MT and the H6 is the 6sp MT.

EDIT Gen4 GT introduced the 5EAT.

Then obviously MY07+ is all 6 slotter for the MT.

I never thought I'd say it but I'm really impartial to transmission choice these days. Cost is a driving force and buying a MT means doing a clutch at some point, it's no biggie but CBF factor is at an all time high lately!

I'm also obviously sold on the wagon thing, the Gen1,2 and 3 wagons I've owned have been worth their weight in gold for moving house and Fantastic Furniture impulse buys!

I reckon if my old Gen4 had of been a wagon I'd still have it.

#4 Jimbo

Jimbo

Livin' the Legacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 13 November 2016 - 09:10 PM

Interesting. Just did some more research. No wonder the MT's are a bit rarer. Gen4 GT wasn't initially made available with both transmissions, we didn't get a manual until MY05.

Apparently too, in Japan you could get a variant with a 2.0 NA AVCS quad cam with a high comp (11.5:1) 140kw engine!

#5 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,458 posts
  • Interests:Docking

Posted 13 November 2016 - 09:18 PM

so TL;DR GT or H6? GT lends itself for mawds better that we all know will happen. The twin scroll on the gen 4 is gen 4 specific and your choice of turbos is limited to 3.

As you said EJ is easy to work on and service and parts will probably be cheaper. 

Auto vs manuelle well manual better for driving fun auto better for daily duty which i assume is what it will be for? 

tIeW8DE.png

#6 Jimbo

Jimbo

Livin' the Legacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 13 November 2016 - 09:30 PM

I'm happy to brush the H6 aside but eh, boost is like pringles. At least with a GT I know what I'm up for, rather than chasing forked coil packs for a H6 and then getting a chain tensioner flog out or something expensive sounding.

Yeah pretty much regards tranny. Mods wouldn't go further than a zorst and a tune. Needs to be a reliable sprog chariot.

If I wanted to broaden the spectrum for mods, could also convert to single scroll pretty easily I guess, IF one was that keen.

Despite the info I have browsed on theredbook, it seems le manuel had a few more herbs but fork me if I can find one. 

Hard to find one that doesn't look like it's been touch parked or the paint is starting fade :/ 

Most interiors still look good though as far as shitty carsales images go.

#7 RX25SE

RX25SE

...............Car nerd................ now a H6 pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts
  • Interests:Cars with chrome bumpers!

Posted 13 November 2016 - 10:22 PM

I went H6 because I often tow, and turbo Liberty's seem to have you with your fingers in your ears waiting for the bang. Figured it would be worse with the load of towing.

I was chatting to a bloke who had a post facelift GT-B and his Dad had the H6 variant of the same car. His comment was, while the numbers on paper appear similar, the GT-B was (and felt) far stronger than the H6. 

Mine has been bomb proof so far, but over Christmas I plan of replacing the STi clutch that was fitted just prior to me buying it, with a std unit as it just pisses me off too much in traffic. As far as Im concerned, a clutch is far cheaper and simpler than replacing an auto (plus I have only had one auto in 30+ years of driving) as all autos will fail at some point, due to that fact they use the same principle of driving with friction, just the clutches are inside the box.

One thing I love about the H6 that the H4 just cant reproduce is the sound, they are brilliant when in the upper end of the rev range.

If you are not worried about fasts, I'd consider the H6 and hold out until a 6mt post facelift wagon (30R-B) comes up.

If I told you I was a compulsive liar, would you believe me?

#8 CRUISN

CRUISN

Doin it my way.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,970 posts
  • Interests:Family, Surfing, Cars.

Posted 14 November 2016 - 04:38 AM

They made a GT with cloth interior and no sunroof in the early Gen4s.

Seats are far better in the A-C models as that car was never sold in the USA. Face lift was sold to the USA hence flat seats to accommodate big American arse.

VF38 Auto
TD04HLA manual

OEM+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users