• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 LukeFranky

LukeFranky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 04:21 PM

Some of you may have already read my thread about installing cruise to my B4. If not, here's some background info:

http://www.subyclub....cruise-control/

Usual disclaimer, this is only a guide so I don't take responsibility if this somehow screws up your car. I can't guarantee the information is entirely correct, if anyone notices discrepancies let me know and I'll fix it up.

Anyway, I've put this guide together based on my experiences installing cruise control on my car, a 2002 Liberty B4 Rev D, but the guide could be applied to any RHD 3GEN Liberty, or any Subaru from that era if you can figure how to tap into speed sensor. It is a bit different on automatics so refer to the manual (https://www.dropbox....8_2003.pdf?dl=0).

The cruise system is fairly independent from the other systems in the car. Apart from getting your hands on the parts the most tricky bits are: finding which wires to tap into, positioning the stalk behind the steering wheel, and mounting the actuator. The rest is basic electrical wiring. It takes a bit of time, but if you know how to join 2 wires you should be able to do this.

What you need:

• Actuator motor (mine was electric, but some are vacuum based)
  • Cruise control module
  • 4 wire brake switch
  • 2 wire clutch switch
  • Cruise control main switch (button on the dash)
  • Cruise control sub switch (stalk on the steering wheel)

You can probably get all these from a wreckers. Make sure you get the plugs with enough wire on them to join onto.

Attached File  dbbe19934c80513ca79e89a374c8e570.jpg   374.6KB   11 downloads

Recommended:

• Spare throttle cable bracket (or make your own)
  • Couple of screws to attach the sub switch with (self tapping, or drill a hole and use a nut)
  • 8 core wire pack (otherwise, lots of differently coloured wires)
  • Something to join wires, e.g. solder. (I was lazy and also used a number of male and female blades and some Narva Ezy Tap fittings.)
  • Male & female blade fittings.

Tools:

• Star bits (to remove the steering wheel)
  • Philips head Screw driver.
  • Grinder.
  • 10mm and 12mm spanners.
  • Drill & drill bit large enough to a cut a hole for the sub switch.
  • Pair of wire cutting pillars.

Mounting

Actuator

Find a position for the actuator first. On the B4 I recommend in front of the battery. There's not much room elsewhere and you can conveniently run the wires into the cavity above the wheel well back towards passenger side of the cabin. I wrapped the bracket on my actuator around the long bolt that holds the battery clamp down to snugly hold the actuator in place. See photo for example.

Attached File  post-4983-0-67798300-1480106682.jpg   131.38KB   12 downloads

Attached File  post-4983-0-13520000-1480106663.jpg   93.91KB   12 downloads

Throttle cable

The throttle cable on mine reached to the spare cable slot on the throttle, but the distance between the end of the cable's outer casing and the end of the actual cable was too short to use with the existing bracket. Instead I used a spare bracket from another intake manifold that I was able to bolt on behind the existing one to give me some extra reach. If you do the same you will need to cut out a section of your new and existing brackets so that the two cables don't rub against either bracket. Please see the photos to see what I mean. Otherwise make up a custom bracket of your own.

Attached File  post-4983-0-40324800-1480106590.jpg   67.81KB   8 downloads

Attached File  post-4983-0-32772600-1480106620.jpg   109.54KB   8 downloads

Main switch

This is the switch that turns the whole system on and off. You should have a spare button slot on your dash. I put mine on the right hand side near the fog light switch, just like where it is on my wife's car which comes stock with cruise control.

Attached File  20161213_175722.jpg   94.23KB   7 downloads

Sub switch (steering wheel)

Depending on your steering wheel there isn't likely to be a pre-existing mounting position like the main switch has. I have a MOMO steering wheel with an air bag.

1. Remove the center of the wheel by undoing the star head screws on each side, then pull the center straight out. Some people suggest disconnecting the battery to avoid setting off the air bag.

2. Using another star type screw bit remove the two bolts on that hold the right side horn contacts on.

3. I suggest removing the stalk from the sub switch so you can work out where to position the switch inside the wheel. Look at my photo for a reference.

Attached File  20161213_175225.jpg   98.67KB   10 downloads

Attached File  20161213_174839.jpg   68.36KB   8 downloads

4. You will need to cut out a section of the bottom horn contact. Only cut out as much as you need for a snug fit as this metal bracket is perfect to screw the switch into. See photo.

Attached File  post-4983-0-66362000-1480106703.jpg   93.57KB   9 downloads

5. Using your best judgement, cut a hole with an appropriately sized drill bit for the sub switch to poke out of. See photo, but keep in mind I used a drill bit much bigger than necessary.

Attached File  20161213_174936.jpg   77.15KB   6 downloads

6. Put the switch back together and screw it into place. Check you can operate the switch in all 3 directions without hindrance.

7. Disconnect the black plug used for the horn and plug in the cruise switch instead.

Attached File  20161213_174851.jpg   53.29KB   8 downloads

8. There is a stray wire hanging off the sub switch, attach this to the top horn contact/bracket. There should already be a wire coming off it going to the old plug, you can just join these.

Attached File  20161213_174923.jpg   75.77KB   7 downloads

9. Put steering wheel back together.

Brake & Clutch Switches

You will already have a 2 wire brake switch. This needs to swapped out for a 4 wire one. On a manual you will also need to replace the clutch stopper with the 2 wire clutch switch. Fitting these is pretty obvious if you look at how the existing brake switch is bolted on above the brake pedal. I suggest pushing your driver's chair all the way back and folding it flat so that you can lay on your back to get under the dash. It's a bit tight and uncomfortable under there.

Attached File  20161213_180150.jpg   86.5KB   8 downloads

Attached File  20161213_180213.jpg   71.16KB   6 downloads

Attached File  20161213_180332.jpg   66.81KB   5 downloads

Cruise module

The best place for this in my opinion is to the left of the glove compartment. You will obviously need to remove the glove compartment to do this, but I didn't get any good photos of the positioning because I couldn't be bothered to remove it again. I should have take some photos while I was installing it, sorry. Regardless, you will find a white electronics box of some kind up there below the left most air vent. I attached the module to the same mounting point.

This location is ideal because the wires for the actuator can come into the car through a little plastic plug near the floor, in front of the door, at bottom of the wheel well cavity. See the photo for an idea of where to find the plastic plug and stick your hand in and feel around, you'll find it. Most of the wiring for the switches come through behind the dash, stereo, glove box and over to the module. Lastly, one wire will come from the ECU to the cruise module which you will find beneath the carpet below the glove box. More about this later.

Attached File  20161213_180634.jpg   68.27KB   8 downloads

Wiring

Throughout system there is a Yellow and Black wire that supplies power from the cruise module to all the other components while the system is activated. I have also attached a PDF with the general wiring diagram. My own notes below should hopefully help you make sense of the wiring diagram. You can ignore the Check Connector and Data Link parts of the diagram.

Main switch

Pin 1: Yellow Black (main power rail) - Attach to pin 2 clutch switch, pin 11 control module and pin 4 actuator.

Pin 2: Black White - Illumination circuit. (See notes).

Pin 3: Green Black - Switch power - Attach to the fuse box (see photo and notes below).

Pin 4: Purple - Illumination circuit. (See notes).

Pin 5: Orange Black - Attach to the pin 15 control module.

Pin 6: Blue Red - Attach to pin 1 control module.

This switch gets power from an unconnected pin on the big blue plug on the front of fuse box. When the switch is pressed it sends a pulse to the control module. I bent a female blade to fit into the plug since there wasn't any wires I could attach to. See photo.

Attached File  20161213_174208.jpg   63.05KB   6 downloads

Two wires are for illumination when you have your lights on. These aren't necessary to make cruise work but you can easily just swap the pins out of the spare fog light plug into the cruise plug. I've got a photo of this, but ignore the blue Ezy Tap fittings attached.

Attached File  20161213_175709.jpg   66.7KB   5 downloads

Attached File  20161213_175804.jpg   61.61KB   5 downloads

Sub switch

Lucky for me, and should be the same for you, the wiring is already there between the sub switch and below the dash, which saves us from figuring out how to get wires up the steering column and into the steering wheel. All but one wire ends at a black plug beneath the dash. The colours of these wires do not match the cruise module or the diagram. I used a multi-meter to figure out which was which. There is also a fourth wire, but only 3 are needed.

Green Red - Leave attached. It supplies power to the horn and now also your switch.

White - Attached to pin 9 control module (Green Red).

Black White - Attached to pin 10 control module (Green Black).

Black - Ignore

Attached File  20161213_180022.jpg   60KB   4 downloads

Attached File  20161213_180028.jpg   78.53KB   4 downloads

Brake switch

Once you remove the old 2-wire switch you need reattach two of the wires on 4-wire to the old plug. Male blade fittings fit perfectly onto the pins of the existing plug. You will also need to Tee off one of these wires back to the control module.

Pin 1: Yellow Red - Attach to pin 1 clutch switch.

Pin 2: Blue Yellow - Attach to existing brake light wire/plug.

Pin 3: White Black - Attach to pin 20 control module and existing brake light wire/plug.

Pin 4: Yellow Blue - Attach to pin 16 control module.

Attached File  20161213_180150.jpg   86.5KB   8 downloads

Clutch Switch

This is simpler with two wires. One wire comes off the main power rail of the cruise module. The other goes to the Brake switch. When you aren't pushing on the brake or clutch, power runs through both switches. Push on either the brake or clutch and the power is cut triggering the cruise to disengage.

Pin 1: Yellow Red - Attach to pin 1 brake switch.

Pin 2: Yellow Black (main power rail) - Attach to pin 1 main switch, pin 11 control module and pin 4 actuator.

Driver's Side to Passenger's Side

Most of the wires on the various switches go back to the control module. I used a 7 core wiring pack, but 8 is ideal since there are 8 wires going from the driver's side to passenger's. Run these from under the dash to behind the stereo, behind the glove box and over to the cruise module.

Cruise Actuator

There is 6 wires here. Only 5 actually need to back to the control module. 1 can be grounded directly to the body or battery.

Pin 1: Black Yellow - Attach to pin 7 control module.

Pin 2: Red Blue - Attach to pin 13 control module.

Pin 3: Orange - Attach to pin 13 control module.

Pin 4: Yellow Black (main power rail) - Attach to pin 1 main switch, pin 11 control module and pin 2 clutch switch.

Pin 5: Black Green - Attach to pin 5 control module.

Pin 6: Black - Attach to ground.

Engine Bay to Passenger's/Interior

1. Best approach is to remove the inner guard lining on the passenger's side wheel well.

2. Then remove the plastic strip running along the bottom door rail of the chassis.

3. You should have the glove box out by now.

4. Find the plastic plug I mentioned earlier, remove it.

5. Drill a hole large enough for your wires to fit through snugly.

6. Push these wires through the plug from the interior of the car into the wheel well cavity.

7. From outside the car pull out enough wire to reach to the hole in front of the battery into the engine bay.

Attached File  20161213_180426.jpg   57.21KB   5 downloads

8. I suggest using zip ties inside the cavity to make sure the wires are safety fastened.

9. Attach the actuator plug as described above.

10. Attach the interior end of the wires to the control module plug.

Cruise Control Module

Pretty self explanatory with the notes above, but there is also a line coming from the fuse box and the ecu. See the notes below about those.

Pin 1: Blue Red - Attach to pin 6 main switch.

Pin 2: Yellow White - For VCD only which apparently the B4 doesn't have.

Pin 3: Black Red - For automatics only.

Pin 4: Not mentioned on the diagrams.

Pin 5: Black Green - Attach to pin 5 actuator.

Pin 6: Black - Attach to ground.

Pin 7: Black Yellow - Attach to pin 1 actuator.

Pin 8: Not mentioned on the diagrams.

Pin 9: Green Red - Attach to pin 3 sub switch (White).

Pin 10: Green Black - Attach to pin 2 sub switch (Black White).

Pin 11: Yellow Black (main power rail) - Attach to pin 1 main switch, pin 4 actuator and pin 2 clutch switch.

Pin 12: Green Black - Fuse box (see notes and photo below).

Pin 13: Red Blue - Attach to pin 2 actuator.

Pin 14: Orange - Attach to pin 3 actuator.

Pin 15: Orange Black - Attach to pin 5 main switch.

Pin 16: Yellow Green - Attach to pin 4 brake switch.

Pin 17: Light green Red - Ignore.

Pin 18: Green White - Ignore.

Pin 19: Green Black - Attach to ECU (see notes and photo).

Pin 20: White Black - Attach to pin 3 brake switch.

The Black Green wire attaches to a white plug on the left at the back of the fuse box. You need to undo the bolt on the left of the box and the unclip and pull the box forward to get at the cables. Refer to the photo to figure out the rest.

Attached File  20161213_175425.jpg   78.27KB   7 downloads

The Green Black wire goes to the speed control sensor. The best way to tap into this is via the ECU loom. Remove the metal cover protecting the ECU. You can get to this beneath the carpet on passengers side glove box. The plug we are look for is 134 which is closest to the floor. You can find reference to this in the manual, or just use my photo as a guide if you have the same ECU as me. Tap into the wire on the top rail of the plug on the right hand corner.

Attached File  20161213_181135.jpg   64.55KB   7 downloads

Attached File  20161213_181141.jpg   74.64KB   5 downloads

Grounding

There is only two grounds, one off the actuator and another of the control module. I used a spare wire in the 7 core pack to ground both to the battery directly, but any where on the body of the car will probably do.

Troubleshooting

Originally I got the ECU plug back to front and attached to wrong wire. My cruise would power up but nothing would happen when I tried to set the speed. If you have the same problem best to double check the speed sensor wire first. The other important thing to check would be the fuses. Take a look at the manual for more information on these.

Failing that ask here. There's a few things we can suggest checking. For example, the brake and clutch switches must provide uninterrupted power loop to the control module.

Right, I think that's about it. I haven't detailed every step of the process, but I'm sure you can figure out the simple stuff like removing lower dash cover below the steering wheel.

Credit to:

duncanm - Provided lots of information on the original thread.

Reevesy - for selling me the parts.

I'd like to hear if this helped you get cruise going so post back here. Good luck.

Attached Files

The B4 Bomber - 2002 MY03 Subaru Liberty B4, ADM, Manual, EJ208. 

#2 natho

natho

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 15 December 2016 - 05:09 PM

great work, thanks Luke! I plan to do this soon, replacing the aftermarket/dealer installed cruise that isn't working on my B4.

#3 Liberty

Liberty

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,869 posts
  • Interests:tl;dr

Posted 15 December 2016 - 06:29 PM

Nice write up mate!

Wanting to buy/looking for: single genuine STi rim, genuine STi front lip, Corazon or Zero/Sports grille and another OEM grille

Can you hook a brother up? Please contact me now. I have cash ready.

~

3fxl2Ca.jpg

~

2006 Liberty MY06 3.0R SpecB wagon

#4 Arfreedom

Arfreedom

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 10:12 AM

Wow. What a write up Luke. Even though I live in a small country so having cruise control does not make sense but I enjoyed the read up on how you install it.
By any chance you know how to set up a push button start? I have seen another sub that requires you to push in the clutch for the car to start, was thinking to use that same process with a a push button.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#5 LukeFranky

LukeFranky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 10:53 AM

By any chance you know how to set up a push button start? I have seen another sub that requires you to push in the clutch for the car to start, was thinking to use that same process with a a push button.

- Never looked into it. Theoretically it is possible. There's some kits on ebay, not sure if they're any good or not though.

#6 Chadtastic56

Chadtastic56

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 09:11 PM

Good write up, successfully fitted to my car (jdm 2000 gtb) i managed to source a unit from a h6 outback which has a longer throttle cable which allowed me to mount the unit in the stock location (right next the the primary turbo, so hopefully it doesn't get too hot, hasn't been an issue so far though). Wrx units from that era are the same (I believe)
Overall pretty easy mod made easier with this walk through. Thanks!

#7 LukeFranky

LukeFranky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 09:20 PM

Glad to see the info came in handy.

#8 Beckers

Beckers

OMAR Cubt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts
  • Interests:Docking and eating dry meat, Living lyf in the TT VOD

Posted 28 August 2017 - 08:00 PM

Good write up, successfully fitted to my car (jdm 2000 gtb) i managed to source a unit from a h6 outback which has a longer throttle cable which allowed me to mount the unit in the stock location (right next the the primary turbo, so hopefully it doesn't get too hot, hasn't been an issue so far though). Wrx units from that era are the same (I believe)
Overall pretty easy mod made easier with this walk through. Thanks!

Great write up Luke.

You can also use the actuator from a GD wrx/sti.

#9 ps23

ps23

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 01:15 AM

Hi, I'm from Chile I have a impreza ts AUT 2003 year, I do not have pre-wired installation for the cruise, I need to help me find the necessary parts to install.

regards

#10 LukeFranky

LukeFranky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 07:58 AM

I'd suggest seeing if you can find a Subaru with cruise and about the same age, that is being dismantled at a wreckers or something, then get the parts from that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users