• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 SubyNewbie

SubyNewbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 03:29 PM

Hey guys, looks like the rh ballast of the forester has decided to go up the well known creek.  What I would like to know is where I might be able to source one without costing an arm and a leg.  I have found a site called the retrofit source, but not sure if they are trust worthy or if their product are a direct replacement.  Please help! the forester is the updated sg model (sep 05 build).

Thanks in advance

Suby Newbie

#2 Harry88

Harry88

Soccer Mom

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,507 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 03:40 PM

I have a spare one if you need it. But has it died because of condensation on the inside of the headlight or has it just died from another reason?

#3 SubyNewbie

SubyNewbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 03:57 PM

I think it may have died due to condensation. How much would you like for yours and how do you suggest I fix the condensation? Would it be a case of a whole new housing or is it a case of that it is not quite clipped in properly somewhere? Thanks for your quick reply harry

#4 Harry88

Harry88

Soccer Mom

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,507 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 05:23 PM

I think it may have died due to condensation. How much would you like for yours and how do you suggest I fix the condensation? Would it be a case of a whole new housing or is it a case of that it is not quite clipped in properly somewhere? Thanks for your quick reply harry

It is the seal around the headlight housing that wears down overtime letting the water you. You can re seal the headlights are most of the time the ballast will work again once dried out.

Try doing this first before you buy a new headlight. I can tell you its not cheap.

#5 SubyNewbie

SubyNewbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 10:47 AM

Had the auto electrician properly diagnose it as condensation in the ballast this morning, I suggested to him this morning to try as you suggested.  He managed to seal it up again and dry it all.  All working fine now.  This has saved us a small fortune.  It would be over 700 just to buy and fit a new ballast let alone a new headlight housing.  Thanks for your help Harry.

#6 Harry88

Harry88

Soccer Mom

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,507 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 03:29 PM

Hopefully its sealed properly and holds. Good stuff if it has.

#7 SubyNewbie

SubyNewbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 04:37 AM

We are hoping the bloke did a good job too. Don't want to have to fork out for a whole new complete assembly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users