3 replies to this topic

#1 Subaroo

Subaroo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 12:21 PM

hello everyone,

if you saw my last thread i was debating on whether to get some eBay Uel extractors or some gen 1 liberty extractors and get them lengthened, long story short i took a gamble with the eBay ones luckily everything fit perfect and sounds nice even for a stock exhaust system, but the day i put them in i noticed they would make this rattle kind of noise as if the pipe was touching something, it looks like it clears everything under there i could here a bit of a rattle when i was hitting it i believe it was coming from where the two pipes meet one then bolts onto the cat, collector (i think), i pulled it towards me using a bit of string and the noise disappeared. now the next day i thought the noise was completely gone but its still there, you can hear it at about 4500 rpm for a second or so. so has anyone bought eBay extractors and had any rattling noises? or any noises of the sort. is it worth wrapping them in some heat wrap?, i have heard people say that its bad for the headers and makes them crack or something like that. any info would be great thanks :)

all in all i am happy them slightly better low end torque and better sound, now for a catback :D

#2 Arfreedom

Arfreedom

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 08:47 PM

The secret is to paint the piping with heat resistance paint first then wrap it to prevent rusting underneath the piping.
Regards to the eBay part, I'm sorry I can't assist you there, however if I was in your shoes I will visit the muffler store to assist in the diagnostic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#3 Niko

Niko

Member's Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,511 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 07:18 AM

Heat wrap doesn't make headers crack. Ceramic coating + heat wrap can lead to high temps and risk of cracking if you were tracking your car. But no risk to your car to heat wrap. In fact it will aid the performance as it lowers bay temps and keeps exhaust gases hot.

#4 Subaroo

Subaroo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 11:32 AM

thanks for the response guys. it seems the noise is all most no existent now ill give it a week or so maybe it'll fix it self. i was going to paint them before i put them on but was unsure if they were going to fit or not i didn't want to paint them then realise they don't fit because i wouldn't be able to get an exchange or refund, i'm most likely going to get an exhaust place to make up a catback so i can ask them if they would paint/wrap my headers for me if the noise isn't gone by then.

thanks again guys :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users