2 replies to this topic

#1 Kuzzo

Kuzzo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 08:34 PM

Hey guys

I got some overheating issues with my 03 Impreza GX. Planned on pulling the engine out and replacing head gaskets, etc.  Then I come across what I thought was another engine, overhauled around 40k ago.  I bought it, then I discover it's an EJ25 DOHC.

So, can I do the swap?  I'm thinking there's going to be some ECU issues, plus exhaust headers and maybe other stuff.  Anyone got some advice.

cheers

Stephen

#2 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts
  • Interests:Subarus, 4wd'n Subarus, travelling Subarus, Tinkering... I could go on!

Posted 20 April 2017 - 09:59 PM

If the bolting pattern for the intake manifold is the same between both heads (I'm 99% sure they are as they're both NA), you should be good to go.

Use the intake manifold that's in your subi now.  Swap other sensors over (cam sensor, crank angle and knock sensor).

Everything else will bolt in/on and you should be sweet.

Change the plugs while you've got full access - and do the rear main seal and timing belt if you're not sure about both of these...

Cheers

Bennie

"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
https://www.imageshack.us/i/po1BKrxbj
1BKrxb.jpg
El Freddo's Pics    -    El_Freddo's youtube

#3 surge

surge

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 10:28 PM

My advice would be to sell the engine and get one that will be an easier swap.

As you mentioned, the EUC is not setup to run the DOHC heads,  the wiring harness will have different connectors/pinouts. It wont be plug and play.

It would make the whole thing just a huge pain to do.

Also your first option is still worth looking at, just pull the heads off and get them looked at by a machine shop.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users