Photo

Subaru WRX 2017 - Mishimoto Oil Catch Can will it void Warranty ?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Tanner

Tanner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 03:40 PM

Just wanted to ask if anyone has the factory warranty on their WRX and has installed a oil catch can without voiding it ?

Recently purchased a new 2017 WRX and wanted to know if this was possible as I have read articles to prolong the engine life and minimise carbon build up best to install a catch can. So hence I thought best to install one from new.

Or will it come down to what my dealer/ service department says and possibly any mod is an instant void.

Just want to know other people experience or best to leave it alone.

Thanks

#2 surge

surge

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 03:48 PM

I'd buy a can that is black and install it stealth like.

Then if needing to make a warranty claim, just remove the setup.

Mods can't void your consumer rights unless it directly contributes to the failure.

For example, you install a catch can and your electronic windows stop working. Subaru will fix your window.

But if you install your catch can and it overfills and your engine catches on fire. Subaru will say it is not covered under warranty.

I'm sure the insurance company would say the same thing, unless you listed the mod with them when buying the policy.

#3 Tanner

Tanner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 12:07 PM

Thanks Surge, I'll look more into it.

#4 migoreng

migoreng

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 04:25 PM

How far have you driven the car?

My B4 with 260xxx km doesnt lose much oil.
I fill up 4.5 or so of oil and 7500km later,the level is still above low. I still have half a litre for topping up but rarely need to.

I wouldn't install a can just yet.

#5 Tanner

Tanner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 08:51 AM

Cars brand new, 382 kms on it.

So i guess best option is to monitor my oil consumption and once it increase install one ?

#6 surge

surge

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 04:18 PM

Well as the main reason for a catch can is nothing to do with oil consumption, so you probably would benifit marginaly performance wise if you install one now.

For details see:
https://forums.nasio...ad.php?t=754710

But essentially you install the catch can because otherwise oil vapor in the intake effectively reduces the knock resistance of the air fuel mixture.

And if the engine senses knock, the engine learns to pull timing and that reduces performance.

Would it be noticible, probably not.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users