• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Rx crazy

Rx crazy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 10:41 PM

Righto guys just been doing some late night shopping online . Picked up a few things to get this rx running smoothly again. New Lines to fix a leak (thought i would do all them at once) new filters as the fuel filter is playing up oil filter, air filter,fuel filter. .few bits and bobs for the inside as its abit rough atm . .but during this costly experience its got me thinking coil overs so finally the question . . Pro's and con's mainly if theres any cons. .but my main issue is how hard are they to setup right? And sway bars worth it at the same time? Its only a 2lt impreza 2000 rx wagon so not no power monster . .thanks any help would be great also any other mods you could recommend obviously its only NA so not much can be done power wise atm still deciding on if I'm going to supercharge it (and take the lose off power steering or go a different route or just straight up leave the power alone but not really after a ricer with no balls)

#2 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,456 posts
  • Interests:Docking

Posted 22 August 2017 - 12:09 PM

Depends what you mean by setup. Most of the time the heigh is pretty good out of the box and any decent alignment place (not Kmart Tyre and Auto) will be able to set your camber and so on. If you want them corner balanced then youll need to take it to a proper suspension joint (not Pedders). But corner balancing is pretty race car and tbh not needed on a street car. 

Main con is theyre going to ride harsher than stock but on full soft my BCs are no worse than the Bilstein shocks in GTBs etc. For a cheaper option you could look at some STi suspension.

Dont bother with a super charger. By the time you get it working (if you ever do) youll probably have spent the same coin to buy a cheap wrx. The beauty of subarus is anything you do to the current car will swap straight into a same model WRX. So focus on handling, brakes and looking nice. 

WRX 4 pots and a 22mm rear swaybar are my top tips for first mods

tIeW8DE.png

#3 Rx crazy

Rx crazy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 02:53 PM

Yeah thought the wrx option been looking at a few and might see one i like and (accidentally end up with it) but was thinking supercharger just to be abit different got a setup worked out and running a small pully it'll give me close to a stock wrx off the same year so won't be no real monster on the road which is ok as i have a heavy foot and don't need the extra temptation as for price yeah I've worked it out to be more then the cheaper wrxs i see up for sale (which are aways abit hit and miss) and about on pair with the clean ones. . Thanks for the coil over input I'll might have alook around at wrx suspension see which route i decide to go as i don't want it to rough on the road . .yeah swaybar is probably a must at this point looking into brands ect. But hadn't even thought of brakes so thanks I'll add to my ever growing list

#4 Niko

Niko

Member's Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,511 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 04:49 PM

Is that the Raptor kit? Would be interesting to have a supercharged Impreza on the forum. The supercharged FA20s go ok, not crazy power, but good enough.

#5 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,456 posts
  • Interests:Docking

Posted 22 August 2017 - 04:53 PM

Well if you really want to remember to add injectors and an ecu into the budget to make use of it all. The NA bottom end will hold you back too. 

You pay for the architecture of a WRX mostly. Lot more options for power adders and bolt ons/plug in bits and bobs

tIeW8DE.png

#6 Niko

Niko

Member's Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,511 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 05:09 PM

Not to mention if something brakes you have a shitload of spare parts and large aftermarket for WRX....for a supercharged NA...not so much.

#7 Rx crazy

Rx crazy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 01:13 PM

Yeah added in the cost of ecu and other upgrades . .and yous are absolutely right about the wrx parts and after market. And i would be crazy if i said supercharger is the better way to go. It obviously not. A wrx with abit of work would work out cheaper handle better and wouldn't take much to get it to go harder then a safe supercharger setup. But all that being said I'm just using this a a project /play around. So just want to do something abit different. Having said that its not like it would be the 1st rx to be supercharged I'm sure theres others out there. But i have never seen one in person and I'm sure many others haven't either (probably due to as we have mentioned its not the most cost effective or efficient way to go) so it'll just be abit different and probably the only one in my area so just abit of fun at the end of the day.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users