• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Romen

Romen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 12:53 PM

Hello all you other flat four fans, can I please ask if I will be able to transplant a EA82 with auto trans into my 91 Brumby - EA81, manual.

The current motor has a bottom end knock which I was going to nurse to get me through but it has started pre igniting badly which leads me to think I have a burnt valve as well.

I can get my hands on a wagon of the same vintage but it has a EA82 and auto trans, I have been told the motor won't bolt up to my manual transmission so I am considering a complete switch out including the rear diff.

In a nutshell can it be done, is it worth doing?

Cheers

#2 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts
  • Interests:Subarus, 4wd'n Subarus, travelling Subarus, Tinkering... I could go on!

Posted 29 November 2017 - 10:17 PM

Not worth doing.

The ea82 will bolt up to the flywheel and gearbox of the ea81. But to fit the EA82 you will have to widen the chassis rails to clear the cam boxes and covers.

If you're really desperate there are engines available on gumtree. One on there (can't remember in what state) for $350.

And if you're looking into an engine transplant, go for an EJ22. The wiring is the hardest part. Either drop an ea82 5spd box in with an adaptor plate or fit the EJ AWD box (diff ratio and tyre size won't match though). Both require mods to fit but have been done before.

With the knock and the detonation:

Knock: reseal the oil pump to ensure it's pumping as much oil as possible! Remove the crank pulley to remove the oil pump, otherwise you'll crack the pump - and you don't want to do that (might as well buy another engine if that happens!).

Detonation: check the valve clearances first. Then check spark timing. Also ensure all vacuum lines are attached properly and not cracked or leaking.
Check the carb's throttle shaft for play. If there's lots, replace the carby with one in better condition. If you can freely wiggle the throttle shaft this can lean out the fuel mixture creating detonation. A weber carb can be a solution but can cause other issues, not to mention it takes away a fair chunk of money that could go towards an EJ22 conversion. Have the hitachi carby rebuilt/fully serviced.

In hot weather shorting out the radiator temp switch (single yellow wire) will run the fans all the time. Add a wire from the switch to the body somewhere secure to trigger the thermofan circuit. This will keep the engine on operating temp and avoid higher running temps that trigger the fans at about 95*C. Normal engine running temp is usually 82*C.

Keep oil level up and ensure the same for your coolant. Run a thick oil. I run Penrite mineral "extra 10" 20w-60. Recently I've used a 25w-60 as I'm using oil, this seems to have stopped the issue.

That could keep your ea81 going a bit longer ;) when looked after and not flogged every day these engines are the bullet proof one in the EA family - the EJ22 is the "offspring" of this engine :P

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
https://www.imageshack.us/i/po1BKrxbj
1BKrxb.jpg
El Freddo's Pics    -    El_Freddo's youtube

#3 Romen

Romen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 08:49 AM

Cheers Bennie,

I had not thought of valve clearances, the oil pump did have a massive leak when I bought it about 8 months ago kitted it and no more leak, widening chassis rails is not where I want to go. I have been running 20/50 or 40 and I crank it cold without depressing throttle to allow oil pressure to build before it fires which stops the start up knock, when it is warm it is fine.

Thanks Bennie that has given me some thing to try.

Cheers

Russell

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users