11 replies to this topic

#1 N/A_EJ22

N/A_EJ22

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
  • Interests:Music, Sport, Beer, Wimin

Posted 15 July 2009 - 07:04 PM

Harro fellow subyclub members, Got some questions about my clutch. First off I think when i bought it the ad said it has a H/D clutch in it and it farkin feels it too! Theres problem one, its REALLY hard. Im ued to it now and doesnt really bother me but because ill be selling soon I want to rectify this. Also the clutch is squeeky all the time and doesnt feel 100%. It doesnt get abused apart from the occasional "launch." It doesnt slip at all either (not like it has massif powah running through it though). On the note of the stiffness, I drove a sil80 a week ago that had an excedy H/D twin plate clutch in it and it was half as stiff as my clutch, if that. I never realied just how hard my clutch was until I drove this car hence why im asking now. So, how do i fix it? :P. Help appreciated. Cheers guys, Ash

Previous: 97 Gen 2 Liberty wagon, 89 NA MX5, 88 Toyota Cresta. Current: 04 turbo MX5, 02 Foz GT.

#2 Scuba-Roo

Scuba-Roo

The local

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,960 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 07:07 PM

i told you on msn, your clutch cable needs some lube as does your clutch fork on the pivot point, then it'll be easy again. mine was the same

Subyclub, The place where random internet weirdos become good mates

#3 N/A_EJ22

N/A_EJ22

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 07:14 PM

Did you? I cant remember sorry haha. So how would i go about lubing it all up? How long would i take? and how hard is it too do?

Previous: 97 Gen 2 Liberty wagon, 89 NA MX5, 88 Toyota Cresta. Current: 04 turbo MX5, 02 Foz GT.

#4 RX25SE

RX25SE

...............Car nerd................ now a H6 pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts
  • Interests:Cars with chrome bumpers!

Posted 15 July 2009 - 07:39 PM

Ash, I would remove the cable from the car. Check for binding by moving the cable through its full travel. Most cables have a plastic coating that can come off and cause the cable to become sticky. Blow between the inner and outer with compressed air if possible and spray silicon lube or similar between the inner and outer and work it in by moving the inner cable through its full travel. If its just dry this should free it up. Having said all that if its out of the car, just replace it. Eventually it will fail. If it binds, it may prevent the thrust bearing from clearing the diaphram fingers of the clutch. If the pedal is heavy due to the heavy duty clutch then the only option is to replace the clutch (cable should be replaced with clutch). Twin plate clutches are usually not that heavy as the force of the pressure plate is no greater than a standard one but the have twice the area of friction material. Fitting a heavy duty clutch to a n/a is just silly. All it will do is place extra load on the clutch operating system and give you the sh!ts. If you want heavy I had a 11' full fingered diaphram clutch in my V8 falcon, used to give me a sore leg and Im 6'2" and 110kg. Stupid, so I fitted a softer one and the car (and me) was better for it. :rolleyes: Cheers J

If I told you I was a compulsive liar, would you believe me?

#5 N/A_EJ22

N/A_EJ22

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 08:16 PM

Awesome, cheers J. Is the cable hard to get access too? Ive never messed around with clutches hence the n00b questions. If its heavy cause its a H/D then the new owners can live with it haha. Lubing the cable will stop it from squeeking as well yes? Agree with you on the fitting a H/D to an NA is stupid, then again, the previous owner was :P. Oh also, if the cable is in need of lubing and its not done, what problems could this cause?

#6 Richo

Richo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,765 posts
  • Interests:Not the internet

Posted 15 July 2009 - 09:23 PM

Cable vs hydrolic ?

Stuff goes here

#7 RX25SE

RX25SE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 10:03 PM

Not hard to get out. First you will need to back off (loose) the cable as far as it goes and then disconnect from the fork. Then its on your back and under the dash to fcuk around to release it from the pedal. To install, reverse the procedure and adjust. While its out lube the pedal shaft with some 'viscotene' or similar or even silicon lube to get rid of the squeak. The clutch pedal in our GenIII squeaks and it drives me mad. I've tried everything short of removing the pedal and greasing the bushing aaaaarrrrrrggggghhh! Richo......Hydraulic FTW :D Cheers J

#8 Richo

Richo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,765 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 10:05 PM

I hate hydrolic :/

Stuff goes here

#9 RX25SE

RX25SE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 10:10 PM

Why?

#10 Richo

Richo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,765 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 10:16 PM

I just don't like the feel of it

Stuff goes here

#11 N/A_EJ22

N/A_EJ22

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 10:18 PM

Ah awesome! Thanks heaps J! Thanks coming your way! You a mechanic or something of the like?

#12 RX25SE

RX25SE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 10:21 PM

OK I find cable a little 'dead' and hydraulic a bit 'springy' but not really fussed, depends on the car. Cheers J

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users