5 replies to this topic

#1 BlackB4RSK

BlackB4RSK

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 09:28 PM

Good day

Some might recall last year I posted my 02 B4 twin turbo RHD to LHD conversion job. I now have a big problem with blue oil smoke at all engine RPM. Its not much noticeable at Idle but wring out the engine and it smokes like a banshee, worse when your driving it as it throws out a plume of smoke. I messed up a bit when doing the conversion as I initially installed the primary turbo way down in the engine bay in order to clear the steering shaft in the LHD conversion. In doing so I did not make allowance for the fact that the oil waste is gravity fed back to the engine and so I flooded the turbo.

Having now rectified this by elevating the primary to a near standard fit position I started the car and started having the oil smoke issue. It was terrible at first but quietened down eventually to where it only smokes at higher revs. 

So I took off the primary and using an Ebay rebuild kit overhauled the VF31. i believe I did it correctly but I am not seeing much improvement. It has reduced the smoking but only slightly. 

Now the car may be 16 years old but its only done 25k miles having been in storage for over 10 years. My question is. Are my problems definitely the primary turbo or could there be other issues that could cause this smoking?. Could it be my valve seals or worse piston rings?. I certainly hope not but would like some advice before I start stripping the engine to bits on an unguided search mission.

The other thing I noticed is that the car revved with much higher alacrity before my conversion, Now is much slower and with more vibration.  

Any help would be much appreciated. 

P.S. I also had the Silicone inlet pipe header conversion as the old plastic pipe had cracked at the connection to the Primary turbo.

#2 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 07:18 AM

intercooler still full of oil from your turbo shenanigans ?

#3 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts
  • Interests:Subarus, 4wd'n Subarus, travelling Subarus, Tinkering... I could go on!

Posted 17 April 2018 - 02:46 PM

I'd imagine that you should be able to track this relatively easily by looking at the turbo dump pipes and the exhaust at the heads to see which is more carbonised from oil burn/leakage.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
https://www.imageshack.us/i/po1BKrxbj
1BKrxb.jpg
El Freddo's Pics    -    El_Freddo's youtube

#4 BlackB4RSK

BlackB4RSK

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 07:30 PM

Thanks. I seem to have found the cause. Traced it to a broken T joint on a vacuum line. It's the line connecting the manifold to the BOV on the intercooler and which tees off to some other pipes under the BOV. Replaced the T joint which was leaking vacuum and it has markedly cleared the smoking and settled the idling which hunted quite a bit. Thanks again.

#5 Beckers

Beckers

OMAR Cubt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts
  • Interests:Docking and eating dry meat, Living lyf in the TT VOD

Posted 06 June 2018 - 11:04 PM

Good to see you found the broken t piece.

What country are you in ??

#6 BlackB4RSK

BlackB4RSK

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 10:34 PM

Nigeria. Safe to say it has caused me quite a bit of grief and dented my pocket. Before finding the vacuum leak I had replaced the primary turbocharger completely with a reconditioned unit and got More or less the same results. Seems the vacuum was keeping the cylinder head oil venting to a minimum. I've filled the AC gas now and am enjoying the car's phenomenal performance. I must temper that by acknowledging that Petrol here is low octane so I'm losing a fair bit of Hp. There is also the issue of my 15 year old timing belt. That's next.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users