• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 mOOse

mOOse

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 06:59 PM

Hey all, Just posting a WTF in hopes that someone may have experienced the same issue. Driving home from work I was just up the street from home when my broomster started making a wierd whining sound. It suddenly went away as I drove up the drive and thn came back as I rolled into the garage. I thought I better record the sound and gave it a tug on the go cable. Have a listen to attachment. Attached File  MOV00309.mp3   447.78KB   27 downloads I turned the car off and thought I'll just start it up to see if it is still there... Turned the key, no reds but power getting to alarm. I have no Idea what the problem is. The car has been loosing a bit of oil and water from the radiator yet nothing to write home about and its topped up, Battery is holding a good charge according to jumper kit. Any ideas? mOOse

#2 mOOse

mOOse

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 07:03 PM

Ok looks like the attachment = fail

This should work... I hope.

http://www.flickr.co...N06/3725584783/

#3 Soop

Soop

Suck, squeeze, bang, blow.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 07:10 PM

delete.
TSM

#4 twinturbosubaru

twinturbosubaru

Trusted Member

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 07:33 PM

Sounds like it could be an alternator or something with a whine that high pitched, so it won't start at all now ? Paul
GEN4 Black Liberty 3.0R Spec B Wagon
GEN1 Red Mica RS Liberty - Stock factory original

Love is a Legacy, Liberty, etc......

#5 Ardorpes

Ardorpes

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 08:13 PM

If you turn the key and nothing happens, sounds like it could be your starter motor :)

#6 robt

robt

Cock Rockin'

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 951 posts
  • Interests:Hairstyles

Posted 16 July 2009 - 08:16 PM

May I pose a question? Did you bother with looking under the bonnet? Alternator belt maybe? Earthing issue maybe too.

Posted Image

#7 RX25SE

RX25SE

...............Car nerd................ now a H6 pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts
  • Interests:Cars with chrome bumpers!

Posted 16 July 2009 - 09:09 PM

Given the info I would say alternator. ^^^^ take a look. I assume 'no reds' means no ignition (dash) lights? J

If I told you I was a compulsive liar, would you believe me?

#8 mOOse

mOOse

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 09:10 PM

No reds means no ignition lights, wont turn over at all, power getting to things such as alarm and power antenna but when the key is turned ... nothing Well I did have a look under the bonnet but I'll be the first to admit that I know how to drive a car ... fixing it is a different story. Water hose goes in radiator ... no probs , basic service... no dramas, figuring out why it wont turn over ... not so awesome at that :( I just got the nfo from my girl that its made that noise for her previously but only for a short time and went away... oh hooray. I am now the proud owner of an NRMA membership yet have to wait 48 hours till I can claim on it ... double hooray I have a feeling that Sanjive the bomb maker that I bought it off wasnt so truthful when I asked if it had the timing belt changed at 200K even when when I quizzed him on the non existant service sticker. I cant see in the garage right now as some genius put the light (bulb style) at the oppostie end to where the engine bay usualy sits and it wont start to turn it around. I'll see what the NRMA guy says , which in the past was not much after "you'll need to toe it to your mechanic" Anticipating an expensive trip to mechanics but will be good to get whatever it is fixed, timing belt done if not done already and the oils seals sorted. I wish I took up a mechanics apprenticeship when I left school rather than office work. I guess I will let you know what it ends up being , thanks for the guesstimations. mOOse

#9 CodeBurn3r

CodeBurn3r

Resident Mexican

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 10:03 PM

my gut from the sound is a seized or dry bearing in one of the pulleys for the TB but if its not starting then i would say maybe your started is stuck engaged and you killed it but not getting any ignition is suss. do tell us what the outcome is
ams: "Can't live with them, can't throw rocks at them."

#10 mOOse

mOOse

• Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 11:22 PM

Curiosity got the better of me and I just went out to see if it would turn over ... Its pissing down rain here atm so I didnt stand around to look under thw bonnet... The damn thing started like there was nothing wrong with it ... no noise no nothing. Its go me stuffed that one minute it will act like the battery has gon flat with some noise like the fan belt is about to snap .... then nothing. Im booking it in to have the TB done if it wasnt done then its 30,000 k's over due and thats just asking for trouble. I guess the question is , would I pay 800-900 bucks to have the timing done if I was selling it for $5K.... I think Ive answered my own question. Will keep you posted , thanks for the help guys. mOOse

#11 XXB4XX

XXB4XX

Gn IV GT / No longer B4

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts
  • Interests:None

Posted 17 July 2009 - 07:03 AM

My 2 cents.. Starter pinion is stuck against the flywheel and that sound wa the starter dying a painful death, fro there it shorted out and has blown the ignition fuses/relays. Dude check your fuses and change the blown ones and your reds will come back. Get a good sized mallett and smack the starter motor a bit, this should free it up

#12 CodeBurn3r

CodeBurn3r

Resident Mexican

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 10:30 PM

yeah upon listening again on real speakers instead of the laptop i agree it sounds like the started is stuck., possibly acting like a generator and blowing fuses.
ams: "Can't live with them, can't throw rocks at them."

#13 SUBARU

SUBARU

Massive Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 11:08 PM

Starter motor for sure! A few things worth checking/servicing: 1. There is a single wire that sits on the bottom of the starter motor that runs from the ignition. If this is loose, you can have random problems with starting. The engine vibrations on start up can make it have contact and start, or give you nothing, 2. If it's a manual, the starter can get gunked up with dirt/grease/general crap and freeze up or stick. This is not an uncommon thing to hear of, especially for higher klm models. Even if it's not a manual, the same thing might have happened so take it to Subaru and get a quick service done on it. The good news here is that Subaru starters rarely fail, so I'd feel confident that you'll have a relatively cheap fix for this. Can't agree more in the suggestion of checking the fuses. So, if I were you, I'd not worry too much about the NRMA guy. IMO those services (NRMA, RACV e.t.c.) aren't worth the money as they can't truely diagnose problems properly. Other than the usual checks of fuel, electricity e.t.c. Don't drive it over the weekend and then first thing Monday, drive it straight to Subaru and get it looked over properly. Unfortunately the only realy way for you to know whether the timing belts have been done is to get them done again. Trust your gut on this one. If you think that the guy who sold it to you was even slightly dodge about the service claims, then you are probably right. It's not cheap for a timing belt service on these, so I can imagine that it often gets skimmed over by dealers/sellers.

#14 Ardorpes

Ardorpes

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 12:40 AM

so guys... what your saying is... i was the first person right. :DDDDDD

#15 XXB4XX

XXB4XX

Gn IV GT / No longer B4

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts
  • Interests:None

Posted 18 July 2009 - 07:49 AM

No.. Because no one paid attention to your post, and I had to go back and verify that you actually wrote anything lol. But we ain't sure it's the starter yet, if it is the starter, you win dude

#16 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 08:55 AM

so guys... what your saying is... i was the first person right. :DDDDDD

you don't get out much, do you?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users