• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Asymmetry

Asymmetry

• Members
  • Pip
  • 51 posts

Posted 16 October 2018 - 08:30 AM

Sold my GD WRX wagon I had for 15 years recently. Bought a STI at auctions to flip but fell in love with it. I actually wanted a white, auto, wagon but got a black, manual, sedan... 

Wasn't planning on selling the old car but paying rego and insurance on 3 cars is silly.  Sad to see it go but time to move on. 

So cost, 2017 STi premium with 6000km, $39k - $14K for old car, so this STI was $25k out of pocket (+$2K onroads). These are ~$50K at dealers same year and kays, new $63K last year.

Old car

10o2vbc.jpg

Car I wanted, this one I lost by $2K at auctions to a dealer. 2016 Levorg 2.0 GTS but these are rare at auctions.

4zvznb.jpg

2znyc93.jpg

Car I ended up with,

Delivery day, I was shitting bricks because I bought it sight unseen as a gamble but when it rolled up I was relieved.

aagorl.jpg

Old meets new

2mp0cxs.jpg

After mods, detail, ceramic coating and stock wheels

29bevyc.jpg

so60wx.jpg

#2 Guest_KONG_*

Guest_KONG_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 October 2018 - 09:11 AM

Congrats dude, very nice. Looks heaps better with the stock Sti rims over the premium Sti rims

#3 Asymmetry

Asymmetry

• Members
  • Pip
  • 51 posts

Posted 16 October 2018 - 09:42 AM

Thanks mate!

yeah I did not like those premium ones on this car, if it was white maybe but black on black looks right. 

The stock rim and Premium are same size (18") but look smaller for some reason. In their defense they are lighter.

#4 Niko

Niko

Member's Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,511 posts

Posted 16 October 2018 - 11:08 AM

Awesome pick up. That is a great price.

#5 Asymmetry

Asymmetry

• Members
  • Pip
  • 51 posts

Posted 16 October 2018 - 12:47 PM

Thanks mate!, Got lucky with this one, was betting against the same dealer that got that white Levorg GTS. Happy with the price, get shitboxes for what I paid

#6 Liberty

Liberty

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,869 posts
  • Interests:tl;dr

Posted 16 October 2018 - 03:53 PM

Not bad at all mate, good grab there. She looks the goods.

Where did you go for the ceramic coating and how much did you pay? More curious than anything.

Wanting to buy/looking for: single genuine STi rim, genuine STi front lip, Corazon or Zero/Sports grille and another OEM grille

Can you hook a brother up? Please contact me now. I have cash ready.

~

3fxl2Ca.jpg

~

2006 Liberty MY06 3.0R SpecB wagon

#7 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts
  • Interests:Subarus, 4wd'n Subarus, travelling Subarus, Tinkering... I could go on!

Posted 16 October 2018 - 05:00 PM

That’s awesome and glad it paid off!

Lovely GD too ;)

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
https://www.imageshack.us/i/po1BKrxbj
1BKrxb.jpg
El Freddo's Pics    -    El_Freddo's youtube

#8 Asymmetry

Asymmetry

• Members
  • Pip
  • 51 posts

Posted 17 October 2018 - 11:28 AM

Not bad at all mate, good grab there. She looks the goods.

Where did you go for the ceramic coating and how much did you pay? More curious than anything.

https://www.exclusiv...ingco.com/paint

They were way cheaper than others for Opticoat+ but did amazing work, really happy. There were detailing a Ferrari 488 when I was there so I knew that they know what they're doing.

Price depends on the car, so dont want to mislead anyone here, can PM

That’s awesome and glad it paid off!

Lovely GD too ;)

Cheers

Bennie

Thanks, love that GD too, huge shopping list of rare part into that, 200kw@wheels too. STI is slow compared to it, so STI is getting retuned tomorrow  lol

#9 Asymmetry

Asymmetry

• Members
  • Pip
  • 51 posts

Posted 17 October 2018 - 02:26 PM

Mods on STI so far, wheels, ceramic coating, LED bulbs fog and DRL and interior, retune tomorrow @MSR

on Order; 6TM Short shifter and STI Hydrophobic mirrors, yes that a thing I learned today

https://www.sti.jp/e...o/ST91039ST110/

#10 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,456 posts
  • Interests:Docking

Posted 18 October 2018 - 09:24 AM

Retune with all standard gear?

tIeW8DE.png

#11 Josh.

Josh.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,171 posts

Posted 18 October 2018 - 11:26 AM

That's a bloody good buy!

Enjoy!

#12 Asymmetry

Asymmetry

• Members
  • Pip
  • 51 posts

Posted 18 October 2018 - 03:16 PM

^ Silicon intake and Nvidia dump pipe only. 190atw. Kept the stock mufflers because I'm getting old and want a nice quiet refined car but will go when you put the hammer down. Stock has a nice quiet note which I like.

Huge spread and increase torque, really woke up the car, it really picks up speed really fast, faster than you think because its quiet. Very responsive now. Its 10kw down from the old car but its faster due to huge low end torque it and will hit boost much quicker in any gear.

Whats also impressive is the fuel economy is far better. Average 13L im used to getting, 13L going to MSR and 9L coming back lol

Attached Files

#13 motoboy76

motoboy76

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts
  • Interests:Subaru's, Dirt and road bikes......

Posted 19 October 2018 - 09:27 AM

Very nice....

Yep i argee on the rims.....

#14 Asymmetry

Asymmetry

• Members
  • Pip
  • 51 posts

Posted 23 October 2018 - 08:23 AM

Might as well turn this into a build thread, a short one..

Dumped the shitty dealer 5w30 oil for my trusted 15w40 truck oil, appreciated the underbody aero on the STI. explains why it tracks so well at high speed even in cross winds.

1g2k9i.jpg

Replaced the useless fog light bulbs with 10,000lumen LED bulbs, now dont need a light bar

esud8i.jpg

ke9ic2.jpg

Only clue this car 30% power overstock

2nvz9cj.jpg

So yeah

wji0z8.jpg

Hydrophobic mirrors and short shifter shipping soon, will probably be last of the mods on this car.

#15 Asymmetry

Asymmetry

• Members
  • Pip
  • 51 posts

Posted 26 October 2018 - 06:45 AM

Bizzaro STI Flexible Tower Bar. Where its actually the brace is flexible with a ball joint in the middle rather the than a normal solid one. 

Screwbaru wants $750 for these, Gumtree $250. Strangely STI is NOT the same as WRX versions. STI Part number: ST20502VV010 , where the WRX is VV000.

https://www.sti.jp/e...letowerbar.html this has some markting explaination why is allegelgy works.

255tegx.jpg

1ta4d4.jpg

I had a solid STI Titanium one on my GD, only when the car is on its door handles that I noticed any difference. I don't know the car well enough to be able ever tell but honestly it's finishes off the engine bay. 

#16 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts
  • Interests:Subarus, 4wd'n Subarus, travelling Subarus, Tinkering... I could go on!

Posted 26 October 2018 - 07:57 PM

Only reason for the ball joint I can think of is for easy adjustment of the stay bar, but I’m guessing you’d only adjust it once then leave it alone once it’s fitted.

I like the gear knob, but what’s the difference between jail and prison?? Is it a US thing?

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
https://www.imageshack.us/i/po1BKrxbj
1BKrxb.jpg
El Freddo's Pics    -    El_Freddo's youtube

#17 Asymmetry

Asymmetry

• Members
  • Pip
  • 51 posts

Posted 29 October 2018 - 07:04 AM

Only reason for the ball joint I can think of is for easy adjustment of the stay bar, but I’m guessing you’d only adjust it once then leave it alone once it’s fitted.

I like the gear knob, but what’s the difference between jail and prison?? Is it a US thing?

Cheers

Bennie

Knob is a joke I found, not on my car, mine has the stock 6MT which I like.

From the link above about the brace, they are talking about flex being allowed so towers can go up and down without transmitting vibrations to the other side. Its main function it to keep towers parallel to each other. 

STI Hydrophobic LED mirrors, added for safety. Anti glare, have to merger 4 lanes in heavy traffic over the bridge every morning. Is a bad issue due to shit road design but trying to make it safer with these. these are the ones with blindspot morning indicator as well.

f41937.jpg
2rxtptu.jpg

#18 Liberty

Liberty

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,869 posts

Posted 29 October 2018 - 08:41 AM

https://www.exclusiv...ingco.com/paint

They were way cheaper than others for Opticoat+ but did amazing work, really happy. There were detailing a Ferrari 488 when I was there so I knew that they know what they're doing.

Price depends on the car, so dont want to mislead anyone here, can PM

Good to know, thanks for that mate.

We have a product that we use at work however it isn't available for retail, I was just curious to see what the differences would be.

Wanting to buy/looking for: single genuine STi rim, genuine STi front lip, Corazon or Zero/Sports grille and another OEM grille

~

3fxl2Ca.jpg

~

#19 Asymmetry

Asymmetry

• Members
  • Pip
  • 51 posts

Posted 16 November 2018 - 08:19 AM

Genuine STI short shifter installed, much more precise shifting, worth it. Get some RHSjapan, $350 vs $700 screwbaru.

Probably last mod really, happy with the car now.

Good to know, thanks for that mate.

We have a product that we use at work however it isn't available for retail, I was just curious to see what the differences would be.

What brand is it?

I'm pretty happy with opticoat+ actually. Looks way better with it, just wash crap off and a deeper looking colour.

#20 Liberty

Liberty

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,869 posts

Posted 16 November 2018 - 08:56 AM

It's called Protektiv HYDRO by MotorOne.

I'm getting this put on my new Volkswagen by the dealership soon as well. The finish is awesome.

~

3fxl2Ca.jpg

~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users