• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 tinhow

tinhow

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 07:59 AM

Heya. Planning to change all 4 rotors on my 03 B4 RSK. The stock calipers are crappy. At first I was thinking of going to the WRX 4pots front and 2 pots in the rear along with the new rotors but the price is very expensive and im not packing any serious power. My motor is basically stock only thing I plan to do soon is put on bigger downpipes. So ill just do the rotors. Anyway I wanted to know if these are the right parts: 4650SL 4650SR 4653SL 4653SR The site doesnt list it for the Legacy B4 Rsk, instead its just 2003 Legacy GT or 2003 Impreza WRX exc Sti. Also getting some new Hawk front pads: HB432F.661 Do these fit ? So anyone knows if these are correct let me know.

#2 Dylan

Dylan

Almost gen2 time.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,236 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 12:48 PM

Once Shane logs on (legacy rsk) he may be able to help you for the stock equipment, although he now has upgraded his brakes.

#3 SUBARU

SUBARU

Massive Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 09:12 PM

Heya. Planning to change all 4 rotors on my 03 B4 RSK. The stock calipers are crappy. At first I was thinking of going to the WRX 4pots front and 2 pots in the rear along with the new rotors but the price is very expensive and im not packing any serious power. My motor is basically stock only thing I plan to do soon is put on bigger downpipes. So ill just do the rotors. Anyway I wanted to know if these are the right parts:
4650SL
4650SR
4653SL
4653SR
The site doesnt list it for the Legacy B4 Rsk, instead its just 2003 Legacy GT or 2003 Impreza WRX exc Sti.

Also getting some new Hawk front pads:
HB432F.661
Do these fit ?

So anyone knows if these are correct let me know.

Dude, going to WRX 4 pots will not necessarily provide you with more stopping power than the B4 2 pots. The only main difference is that the 4 pots will be less resistant to fade in extreme conditions (read track work).

You can pick up a set of DBA or RDA 294mm slotted rotors for a good price, that combined with some Bendix commercial or 4x4 pads and maybe some braided lines will give you a very nice pedal feel.

#4 tinhow

tinhow

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 04:31 AM

Yea I decided that the 4 pots wont make sense for me now. Just some good rotors, pads and braided lines should do the trick. Still need confirmation on these parts if anyone knows if they will work.

#5 CRUISN

CRUISN

Doin it my way.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,970 posts
  • Interests:Family, Surfing, Cars.

Posted 26 July 2009 - 08:38 AM

Those rotor p/n's are correct. 4000 series. Nice. :D

OEM+

#6 SUBARU

SUBARU

Massive Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 09:33 AM

Yeah, as Mark said, 4000 series from DBA are nice, but if you want to spend less, you can go for the DBA slotted steet series. Don't worry about getting the cross drilled ones.

http://www.dba.com.a...06/products.asp

RDA are also a great quality product. I've got RDA 294mm slotted rotors on the front of mine which are nice. They are simply called "RDA Directionally Slotted Rotors."

http://www.rdabrakes...php/rotors.html

#7 MiniWalks

MiniWalks

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 09:42 AM

cross drilled are bad news imo all i ever hear are horror stories of DBA and RDA cross drilled's cracking, warping and generally being a let down im currently using the 2Pots on my B4 with just Slotted's on it, and it stops real well :)

#8 SUBARU

SUBARU

Massive Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 09:46 AM

cross drilled are bad news imo

all i ever hear are horror stories of DBA and RDA cross drilled's cracking, warping and generally being a let down

im currently using the 2Pots on my B4 with just Slotted's on it, and it stops real well :)

That's not entirely true. The DBA and RDA cross drilled rotors are fine, and won't necessarily crack or warp. The horror stories come from the discs that have been incorrectly drilled aftermarket.
Any disc is prone to damage or warp if it is subjected to too much heat e.t.c.

I'm saying to avoid them as they are just unecessary on a street car, or on most cars for that matter. Sure, they are designed to help "cool" the disc, but seriously, how many race cars do you see with cross drilled discs?

#9 buzzda

buzzda

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,370 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 10:27 AM

saw these on ozfail this morn. http://www.ozliberty...=192753#p192753

4pot brake package
Upgrade your 2pots to 294mm WRX STI 4 pot calipers.
I bought them around 12 months ago but never fitted/used them.

DBA or RDA (cant remember which) 4000 series aftermarket 294mm rotors. never been skimmed, but need it for new pads.

and brand new lucas pads in box to suit

$600 the lot
i can get the disks machined before postage if required.

selling as i just bought something bigger
in Adelaide
PM or 0414 635 448

Cheers
James

#10 tinhow

tinhow

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 11:32 AM

Thank u all for the info. Im definitely going with the slotted design over cross drilled. Heard nothing but good stuff about the DBAs but I found another slotted rotor thats good quality and slightly cheaper than the DBA. They are called Powerslot rotors I think by Stoptech. Might get these, the price is good. I wonder if they weigh less than the DBA.

#11 ams

ams

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29,212 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 06:21 PM

Moved topic to "brakes" section. Carry on. :)

Ugh i could ramble on for forking days about this stuff.

#12 XT_for_me

XT_for_me

• Members
  • Pip
  • 70 posts
  • Interests:Boost! Oh, and stopping too

Posted 03 July 2011 - 12:50 PM

That's not entirely true. The DBA and RDA cross drilled rotors are fine, and won't necessarily crack or warp. The horror stories come from the discs that have been incorrectly drilled aftermarket.
Any disc is prone to damage or warp if it is subjected to too much heat e.t.c.

I'm saying to avoid them as they are just unecessary on a street car, or on most cars for that matter. Sure, they are designed to help "cool" the disc, but seriously, how many race cars do you see with cross drilled discs?

Actually the purpose of cross drilling or slots is the same, and has nothing to do with cooling. When the pads get hot from braking they give off some gases which can form a small pocket between the pad and the rotor, leading to fade. The purpose of the drilling or slots is to vent the gas.
Because stopping never optional.

KiDo Racing Big Brake Kits and Coilover Suspension

Posted Image

#13 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Stereos, Electrical

Posted 03 July 2011 - 05:31 PM

I know this is an ancient thread, but also - Most companies, including DBA, do NOT recommend or warranty cross-drilled discs for motorsport. The high temps cause issues when going through the heat cycles. If you want to do track work, get slotteds, end of story.

Cheers,
Ben

MY00 Red RX, a nice daily that was sold off once the B4 became reliable...
MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY03 White/Silver H6 Outback, donor car for silver waghoon.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

#14 legacy rsk

legacy rsk

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 06:11 PM

get yourself a set of front gen 4 gt brakes

i found 4 pots no different to the standard brakes until i upgraded the rotors to 330mm.

1d3cb771-b699-4175-8507-6d835cbca0d8_zps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users