• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Sykotoy

Sykotoy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 10:09 AM

Hose? Water pump? At idle temp gauge is fine and dandy. As soon as I rev it, temp gauge goes up, these puffs come out. No water squinting anywhere but I assume at speed while driving is when this occurs
Help thx guys. See video

Attached Files

#2 NQRSoobee

NQRSoobee

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 11:00 AM

Ouch!

I'm assuming there's no excess water out of the exhaust?  No oil in the water, check the radiator cap & please don't burn yourself.  When opening the radiator cap note how much pressure it's under.  If there's no pressure there then it's another clue how bad the leak is.

Does the steam keep coming out after the engine is shut off?  Does it drip / pool under the car?

If the loss only occurs under load then it could be anything as you suggest.  How long has the water pump been in the car?  I've been told by a mechanic to change the water pump about every second cam belt change as a pre-caution.  How old are the radiator hoses.

Yes a small tear in a radiator hose will show up as per your video but also a leaking water pump can do the same.  Hoping the brains trust on this forum can help but I'd be doing a process of elimination but that'll require having the car home.

I always start at the cheaper end with pulling and checking radiator radiator hoses, old hoses will crack especially under the clamps.  if it's not the hoses then it'll usually be a seal or the pump.  In the worst case a welch plug / block issues or a bit easier the radiator but it doesn't look like it's the radiator from the video.

One last bush mechanic trick for small radiator leaks as a get home measure is to put ground black pepper into the radiator fluid.  It's not good for the pump and you'll need to give the cooling system a good flush during the repair but it can plug the leak enough to get the car home.

Good luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users