• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Josh18

Josh18

• Members
  • Pip
  • 100 posts

Posted 12 December 2018 - 04:18 PM

Hi guys. Among other things, over Christmas I have been planning to replace my vac lines in the engine bay and the BBoD. After having a look in the engine bay it looks like the manifold may have to come off to get a some lines. Is this correct? I'm OK with removing the intercooler but am not keen on removing the manifold, given it runs well already. My other option is to just clean all the lines out from each end and clean all the solenoids out with SUEC. Given mine is a 95 I expect everything will be pretty brittle down there and don't want to cause damage by fixing what is not broken, but I have read that replacing all the lines is really beneficial. So what do you reckon?

Cheers

Josh

#2 Ordex

Ordex

• Members
  • Pip
  • 93 posts

Posted 13 December 2018 - 06:27 AM

I'd agree with you about not removing the manifold if it's running fine and/or you're not confident. It's quite a job for a novice- as a novice myself it took about 3 months to complete this job! This in part was because there was a lot of brittle plastic that had to be replaced.

And yes pretty sure there would be a few lines near impossible to replace without removing the manifold. Those are the ones that will be in the worst shape as they cop the most heat.

A few cans of SUEC wouldn't be a bad idea. I've read you need to be careful with the MAP sensor, maybe others as well?

If yours is anything like my old 93 GT and breathes heavy it probably doesn't take long before they're full of blow-by again.

#3 Josh18

Josh18

• Members
  • Pip
  • 100 posts

Posted 13 December 2018 - 07:42 PM

Thanks for that. I think I'll first remove the cooler and do what I can with that off and go from there with regards to the manifold. BTW, did you notice much of a difference after you changed the lines and cleaned the solenoids? Also, silicone lines or auto shop vac lines? Ive read good and bad things about both.

Hey I have wondered if my car has been boosting enough since I've had it. It does go fine and boosts on both turbos when it should but I keep reading about 1 bar being the ball park for a primary turbo but all mine ever sees is about 0.7. So I was looking over the early GT vacuum schematic from the TT guide and noticed the pill in the boost control line on the primary turbo and had a look if it was on mine. Well it looks for sure like the line that is supposed to have the pill has been replaced and as far as I could feel, has no pill! So from what I read I will be only getting waste gate pressure, 0.7 bar. I ordered a couple of the t-piece with pill assy's from the part number in the TT guide and hopefully I will be able to see some proper boost! I bought an extra pill so I can try the line one mod off the guide too when i do the lines. My VOD is not too bad but it'll be interesting to see if it reduces it.

Cheers

Josh

#4 Ordex

Ordex

• Members
  • Pip
  • 93 posts

Posted 14 December 2018 - 04:46 PM

Hard to say what difference it made, as I did it all at the same time as fixing my busted intake ducting.

I noticed various people suggesting to avoid silicone and auto shop vac lines for one reason or another. The general recommendation seemed to be Nitrile Rubber hose - which I bought via ebay. I've not encountered any problems with it.

0.7 doesn't sound like enough boost, but it also sounds a little high for wastegate pressure. wastegate should be about 0.5 bar?

No pill would certainly cause boost to be lower than it ought to be! Might be worth giving the boost control solenoid and associated vac lines a blast out with some cleaner as well to make sure it isn't full of gunge.

#5 Josh18

Josh18

• Members
  • Pip
  • 100 posts

Posted 14 December 2018 - 08:39 PM

Thanks Ordex. I'll have a look for that vac hose on line. The BCS will be getting cleaned out along with everything else in the system when I get into it.

Cheers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users