• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Zenbong

Zenbong

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 02:28 PM

So i recently bought an 06 XT forester, complete with rebuilt motor, 257 short block, vf34 and a tune running 19psi and 193kw. I recently got defected (australias way of screwing you over) for running a bigger turbo without engineering certificate, and requires me to refit a stock turbo TD04. Upon refitting the TD04, i started the car and it begun to idle rough, making a knocking sound (cant be rod knock because it ran perfect when the motor was pulled). Eventually the car sounded like it wanted to give out after idling for 30 seconds. Is there anyone that can suggest why it is doing this? Is it the tune causing the td04 to not function with the engine properly?? PLEASE HELP!

Cheers

#2 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 02:42 PM

Idle has nothing to do with the turbo, unless it blocked or something really silly.

You've probably introduced a post-MAF intake leak..

(though I guess its possible that if the idle was tuned for the VF34, the extra restriction is causing idle problems on the TD04.)

#3 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,456 posts
  • Interests:Docking

Posted 20 May 2019 - 02:44 PM

Yeah moneys on vac leak. Make sure the turbo inlet is seated properly all around the turbo. Its possible through changing the turbo a few times the inlet has torn and needs to be replaced

tIeW8DE.png

#4 Zenbong

Zenbong

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 03:57 PM

I just installed the vf34 again, and it continues to make the same knocking noise. Smoke also comes out from that general area..

#5 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 04:35 PM

so - let's clarify.

Smoking from turbo -- lots, or just grease and oil you had on your hands which is burning off as it heats up?  If its persistent, then you've got an oil leak, no?

Knocking - big and clunky, small, fast, slow, with engine speed, at turbine speed, loud, quiet?  Need details.

To find the source of mechanical noises, a length of wood held to the ear and then hard against the suspected object always helps.

#6 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts
  • Interests:Subarus, 4wd'n Subarus, travelling Subarus, Tinkering... I could go on!

Posted 20 May 2019 - 08:08 PM

Ok, bigger turbo. I didn’t know that was an issue unless you have modified your intake or intercooler. In which case you’d have to go in for emissions testing to pass any engineering.

I’d say that you were pulled over for another reason, then the car got a going over as a result of pervious actions or some lip given to the officers that pulled you over. So what’s the real story?

(I’m curious)

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
https://www.imageshack.us/i/po1BKrxbj
1BKrxb.jpg
El Freddo's Pics    -    El_Freddo's youtube

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users