• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 hoody2

hoody2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 03:34 PM

I'll try not to be giving you too much of a saga while I give you the detail.

The engine started missing and running really rough when cold. It had a new petrol filter and air filter. We got four used, tested coil packs from Sunspares at Yandina, fitted them with new plugs and it went OK for a few days then back to misbehaving. Back to Sunspares for a used MAS sensor. We cleaned this with the proper spray stuff and once again, good for a few days. I then walked out of the front door just as he started it and saw and smelt that it was running really rich; much more than needed, so I thought the ecu must think it's a lot colder than it is. We got a brand new after market temp' sensor from Bursons, put it in along with new coolant and it was brilliant for about 6 weeks.

Now it's started misfiring when it's warmed up :dash2:  I'm thinking it could be the coil pack under the brake booster where it gets really hot. Or could there be anything else going on?

Any help is much appreciated.

#2 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,458 posts
  • Interests:Docking

Posted 05 June 2019 - 03:41 PM

Sounds a lot like coolant temp sensor. Genuine only for things like that

tIeW8DE.png

#3 Beckers

Beckers

OMAR Cubt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
  • Interests:Docking and eating dry meat, Living lyf in the TT VOD

Posted 05 June 2019 - 06:23 PM

Have you scanned the car for codes yet ?? Its cheaper than throwing parts at the car until you fix it.

O2 sensor can be a problem also, has the cars ecu been tuned then had non standard parts removed for when selling it ?? 

#4 hoody2

hoody2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 07:02 PM

Thanks for the replies.

Barbbachello,

I couldn't source a genuine coolant sensor, so it was Bursons.

Beckers,

We don't have a scanner, but what I didn't say in my first post was that it's been to Ultratune at Bribie, and for $100.00 they said they could'nt find a fault code. It went to Keema at Morayfield who call themselves Subaru dealers/repairers and for $160.00 said the only fault code was the cat. I don't fancy him splashing out for a new cat until it's running properly in case it stuffs that up as well.

As far as we know, it hasn't had anything done to the ecu or had non standard parts fitted. It's been running fine for the two or so years he's had it.

#5 hoody2

hoody2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 05:36 PM

As above where I've just noticed my stupid mistake; no fault code at Ultratune Bribie, 100 bucks down the drain. I've spent all afternoon trying to get on to spar parts at Keema Morayfield. After the fifth call I tried the Rothwell store who were going to call me back. :dash2: What's wrong with these bloody people. I thought we might try to help the bloke out by going halves with him for a genuine water temp  sensor. Does anyone have any idea how much they are? I've also been wondering about buying a scanner, but would I be able to get one that would read our '01 magna too I wonder.

#6 TSG

TSG

Cured

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 16 June 2019 - 06:53 PM

If you're not having much luck around Bribie, try Subi Evolution at Brendale.

I used to live at Sandstone Point and had a Twin Turbo Liberty. I had to do most non-logbook servicing myself because the mechanics in the area were too used to throwing Repco parts at KIA's.

#7 hoody2

hoody2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 03:55 PM

If you're not having much luck around Bribie, try Subi Evolution at Brendale.

I used to live at Sandstone Point and had a Twin Turbo Liberty. I had to do most non-logbook servicing myself because the mechanics in the area were too used to throwing Repco parts at KIA's.

Sorry for not replying before, I've only just changed my settings so I get notifications. My son's had a phone conversation with Subi Evolution and it was a helpful bloke he spoke to but no solution. We splashed out/wasted $249.00 on a Bosch OBD scanner which came up with no fault codes at all. It couldn't even read the O2 sensors.

I suppose the next step is to put in a genuine temp' sensor and see what happens. I'd like to take it down to Brendale, but with all the misfiring, it's got to be giving the cylinders a washing with neat petrol. Someone suggested head gasket, but it really doesn't seem like it to me. It's hard for a pensioner with a sick son though. He needs a car for when he gets back to work because you can bet your life the job offers come rolling in, in fact he's had three since he's been crook. Oh well, that's life.

#8 TSG

TSG

Cured

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 09:59 PM

You changed plugs and coil pack.. check its all plugged in properly, no bad leads? Vacuum leak after the MAF sensor (assuming its a turbo wrx)?.. Bad batch of fuel? Running out of ideas that would cause a misfire without a check engine light.

If you can get it to Brendale, they aren't 'cheap', but are fair and they'll probably figure it out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users