• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Manz

Manz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 01:52 PM

Hi not sure whether this is the right place to post but I am chasing some advice with regards a recent visit to the mechanics where a rocker cover was meant to be replaced.  Apparently the wrong one was supplied and so they used a sealant.

When I have arrived home the last few times, there has been a bad smell emanating from the engine.  Like smoking sealant.  Is this a normal fix for this situation.

This is the description of work

Unbolt the rocker covers

Remove the leads

Unbolt engine mounts, lift motor

Removed the rocker covers, clean surface

Refit rocker covers with sealant

Refit engine mounts and leads

Washed down under motor

Another strange thing with this is there was dust everywhere still all over the engine cavity.  Would they have completed this operation from a pit or would they have used a hoist?

Thanks .. appreciate any advice.

#2 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts
  • Interests:Subarus, 4wd'n Subarus, travelling Subarus, Tinkering... I could go on!

Posted 05 November 2019 - 09:51 PM

Hard to say whether they’d use a hoist/pit or do it from above the engine bay.

Sealant can be used effectively if all mating surfaces and other reused gaskets are fully cleaned up and free of oil residue. If there is any oil left on the surfaces, the silicone will leak oil.

Cam cover gaskets are best to use new genuine rubber gaskets - and clean the mating surface and the groove the gasket lives in thoroughly. I don’t see why they’d need to replace the rocker cover, it’s very unusua for them to be damaged.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
https://www.imageshack.us/i/po1BKrxbj
1BKrxb.jpg
El Freddo's Pics    -    El_Freddo's youtube

#3 Manz

Manz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 November 2019 - 12:15 PM

Thanks so much for your response.  I dont think it was the rocker cover that got replaced but rather the gasket.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users