• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Bryan1

Bryan1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 05 January 2020 - 03:13 PM

Well my wife killed the last car I got her and said well I need another one on Friday night so I went onto Gumtree looking for a 2005 outback. Soon found one for 5K and when we went down for a look the guy said he had a better one. Now the one we first looked was a 3 litre 6 cylinder and he said he had a 4 cylinder 2006 one in the other yard. Well the other one was straight as a die and only 210K on the clock so after a test run we bought it.

I drove it home and what a nice car and I did ask if I go grab the other one so we had one each only to be told a big NO (WAAAAAA)

Cheers Bryan

#2 Bryan1

Bryan1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 07:58 AM

Anyway after thinking about did a bit of research and today I'm picking up that 3 litre 6 cylinder 2005 Outback for myself so now we will have a pair of them. Now that 3 litre enging according to wiki is 291 hp as stock so it should have a bit of grunt. I am thinking once I take a good look of upgrading it to twin turbos to boost the hp so when those young wankers want to tailgate me I can blow them away with a simple press of the pedal.

Cheers Bryan

#3 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,236 posts
  • Interests:Subarus, 4wd'n Subarus, travelling Subarus, Tinkering... I could go on!

Posted 14 January 2020 - 10:12 AM

Ooh twin outbacks, nice!

Twin turbo conversion will be quite the build. Have you looked at the MCM boy’s Super Gramps build? I believe that is a single turbo and it does quite well. You’ve basically got the same platform to begin with. They’ve got the 3.6L from a Tribeca.

Certainly doable. Not cheap though.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
https://www.imageshack.us/i/po1BKrxbj
1BKrxb.jpg
El Freddo's Pics    -    El_Freddo's youtube

#4 Beckers

Beckers

OMAR Cubt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,057 posts
  • Interests:Docking and eating dry meat, Living lyf in the TT VOD

Posted 14 January 2020 - 12:42 PM

I can see you spending at least 10 to 15K for a turbo conversion,

Is your car auto or manual ??

Ooh twin outbacks, nice!

Twin turbo conversion will be quite the build. Have you looked at the MCM boy’s Super Gramps build? I believe that is a single turbo and it does quite well. You’ve basically got the same platform to begin with. They’ve got the 3.6L from a Tribeca.

Certainly doable. Not cheap though.

Cheers

Bennie

Hey bennie,

I think this outback has the EZ30R  engine.

#5 Bryan1

Bryan1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 02 February 2020 - 04:01 PM

G'day Guy's,

Well from the time I bought this 3 litre Outback I found it was running warm, and on the way to work where I was doing a 12 hour shutdown it was a case of crawling to work as the temp was just under the red. So took it across the road to a mechanic and got him to change over the thermostat. I rang the caryard and told them this was a problem when I bought the car so they agreed and happily refunded me and what it cost to get the thermostat done.

Thought that was the end of it and 6 days later on the way to work it got bloody hot again, thru the day I opened the radiator cap only to find no coolant was present. So went and filled my 5 litre drink bottle with bottled water and filled it up. Well when I got home the same thing no water so had a good look and the top hose on the right hand side did look to covered in coolant. Anyway had to get to work on Friday so topped it up for the trip and it ran cool, did the topup to come home and stopped at Repco to get a new hose.

Well this morning when I went to replace the hose the barb on the radiator was disintegrated so that was the problem all along. Being Sunday morning I thought well for 1 in 1000 chance I rang Repco to see if they had a radiator and man did I get a shock when he said yes we do and $210. So straight into Repco I went and also got some coolant.

Put the new radiator back in and went thru the motions mentioned in the workshop manual and now she's back on the road and running cool.

Cheers Bryan

#6 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,236 posts
  • Interests:Subarus, 4wd'n Subarus, travelling Subarus, Tinkering... I could go on!

Posted 03 February 2020 - 12:04 AM

Good news story. You got lucky there!

Cheers

Bennie
1BKrxb.jpg

#7 Bryan1

Bryan1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 07 February 2020 - 04:15 PM

Well just when I thought it was all fixed there is still a leak and it does look to be coming from the connection to the thermostat. I just need to find how to get that cover off under the engine so in the morning I can suss it out and if it is the thermostat leaking then a phonecall to that mechanic that changed it is on the cards demanding my money back for a botched job.

Cheers Bryan

#8 Bryan1

Bryan1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 07 February 2020 - 05:46 PM

Ok got the Outback up on stands, topped up the radiator with water and fired it up so the car could get upto temp, got the cover off easily and man was their red stains everywhere and that was the $50 worth of Repco coolant down the drain. Next thing the reservoir started spewing coolant due to overflowing and the thermostat never opened as the lower radiator hose was still cool to the touch.

This does sound like the thermostat has been put in backwards which would cause it to fail to operate correctly. I have to leave for tonight to cool down then I'll drain the coolant and take the thermostat out and check which was it was inserted.

If this is the case of it being put in backwards which I think is the case I will have a good case to go this mechanic for all my costs. So far I'm over $300 out of pocket plus the $150 I paid him to change the thermostat.

Cheers Bryan

#9 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,236 posts

Posted 07 February 2020 - 06:06 PM

If it’s not the thermostat you’ve either got to burp the system properly or you’ve got a blown head gasket.

I’ve not had much experience with the H6 though.

Cheers

Bennie
1BKrxb.jpg

#10 Bryan1

Bryan1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 08 February 2020 - 11:45 AM

This morning I took the thermostat out and tested it in hot water and it did prove to be OK, now I rang my mate at Mt.Barker Radiators and asked a few questions. When I asked if I hadn't burped the system would a air lock cause it backup and he really never answered that question. Now one thing he did say was to cut off that little bleed dongle on the thermostat as they arent needed.

Anyway I'm on burping it now and going nice and slow and so far got just over 6 litres in so another 1.2 litres to go to ensure no air is trapped. Now I did find some crud in the coolant when I drained so I gave the block a decent wash and got a shower in the process as I used my little high pressure washer and a crude hose setup with a baffle and a fair bit of crud came out. So that does prove that mechanic told a heap of lies when he said he flushed it.

So if this does happen again I'm going to take into my mate to get to the bottom of it.

Now as there is now signs of coolant in the oil I don't think the head gasket is gone either.

Cheers Bryan

Edit:

Didn't realize just how long I spend burping the engine, I reckon it was close to an hour starting, stopping,waitin for a minute then watching bubbles. Then at last over 2 runs the level didn't drop so put the heater on flat out and let it get upto temp and no back pressure this time. Went for a drive into Littlehampton to get a slab of beers and the car ran cool so when it cools down I'll check the level and see if it has dropped. Also check out the specific gravity and got it bangon with 1045 which is in spec according to the workshop manual.

Now I got my manual from an American subi forum called SLI and they do have just about every subi workshop manual there so if any member needs a manual that is the place to go.

#11 Bryan1

Bryan1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 04:42 PM

G'day Guy's,

Well thought about this problem this morning as everyday had to put water in as it just kept spitting out the reserve tank and earlier this week lost the cap off it. So put the cap off my old '90 liberty on which has a breather hose on the cap and is a nice tight fit on the outback tank. Anyway thought that radiator cap did seem a tad loose so today went to repco and bought a new one only to find the new cap had a centre plug that my car didn't have.

Keith the local mechanic came around this arvo and tested the cap saying well mate you were right it is the problem. He went and pressure tested the coolant system and in the mean time I showed him my shed then 10 minutes later no pressure drop. Now he did say the only to bleed the coolant system on a subi is put a bottle ontop of the radiator filler and just let all the bubbles rise over an hour. I did mention about the procedure in the workshop manual and he did say the bottle takes out all that work and just plain works.

Cheers Bryan

#12 Bryan1

Bryan1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 08 March 2020 - 04:56 PM

gotta say since I fixed this my outback it has performed very nicely and running young wankers on the lights is fun as this car is a sleeper

Cheers Bryan

#13 Bryan1

Bryan1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 15 May 2020 - 05:10 PM

G'day Guy's,

Well at 4.45am this morning started up my subi and the temp guage said 2C then only to find the bloody engine light came on on and the cruise control light kept flashing. Anyway had to drive the car down the hill to work with no cruise control for the first time ( and man did I miss the cruise control) it was like driving a different car. So rang my local mechanic and arranged for him to come over at 2pm and put his reader on to see what was going on.

Now when I got home I took the car upto my shed and silly me thought the fusebox was down by the accelerator pedal only to look up and see the fusebox 2"s from my nose. Also had a look in the engine fusebox and wiggled a few relays. Started up the car to drive down to the hose and the flashing engine light was still on. Went into the house to grab my wallet then when I started the subi backup the flashing light was gone and the cruise control was working again.

When the mechanic came around and put his reader on there was a heap of old codes so he deleted them but 2 codes kept coming up. Now I have looked in the workshop manual but found no refernce to those 2 codes.

Transmission P0751 shift solenoid A malfunction

Engine Propriety code 48B7

Now with the transmission solenoid he did say it was in the transmission and hopefully just taking the lower pan off it should be there. But this propriety code 48B7 for the engine is a strange one as no where in the workshop manual is it listed.

Any help with these 2 codes will be great as a subi running with no error codes is the way to go..

Cheers Bryan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users